Monitor calibration - Which one?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited January 14, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
I have the monitor calibrator called Colorvision Spyder 3. I have a mac and two PCs. I have used Spyder 3 for a while and I have noticed that the colors are different on all three screens. I assume the purpose of a monitor calibrator is that the photographer sees the same colors his/her clients will see...Anyway.
I have decided to get a new calibrator. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. My budget is 150-400.
What monitor calibrator can you recommend. I do wedding photography and I shoot a lot of Indian weddings where true colors are essential.

Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 14, 2011
    Yep, I moved this thread too.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    That is strange, i have Spyder 3 Elite, i calibrated almost 4 monitors, 3 Apple monitors [1 Apple Cinema 30" and 2 Mac Book Pro 17", 13"] and one Eizo 22", all the colors on them are matched and the prints out of the printer using those monitors are great, i want to try and calibrate an old PC monitors [LG, ViewSonic or any] to see if they will match as well, but i don't have any problem to match the colors on the monitors nowadays.
  • NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    haring wrote: »
    I have the monitor calibrator called Colorvision Spyder 3. I have a mac and two PCs. I have used Spyder 3 for a while and I have noticed that the colors are different on all three screens. I assume the purpose of a monitor calibrator is that the photographer sees the same colors his/her clients will see...Anyway.
    I have decided to get a new calibrator. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. My budget is 150-400.
    What monitor calibrator can you recommend. I do wedding photography and I shoot a lot of Indian weddings where true colors are essential.

Thanks!

Which version of the Spyder3? Express, Pro, or Elite?

The Express only calibrates to 6500K and 2.2 gamma while the Pro & Elite offer other color Temperatures & gammas. Are all three the same?

Did you use automatic of advanced mode?

What monitors? There will be slight differences due the TFT LCD panel technology if one monitor is using an IPS panel and the other a S-PVA let alone if one is a CRT.

Brightness will also cause them to have a different appearance.

All they all set to 32bit in the Display Settings of the video card utility?