Options

What influences your photography (besides other photographers)?

metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited January 14, 2011 in The Big Picture
When I decided to learn to draw, I picked up a book entitled "The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". The exercises in there opened my eyes and completely changed my perspective. I looked at things differently. In the everyday or when having conversations with people - it was amazing how much my brain actually processed what I was seeing in a whole new way. It was almost as if I was seeing everyday things for the first time.

I've had a very similar experience with my photography. When I see things, I unconsciously look at them with a view to photographing them whether I have a camera in hand or not.

What made me think of this was viewing the film trailer for "The King's Speech". Tom Hooper's camera angles, perspectives and viewpoint are interesting and amazing. It immediately made me want to go out and buy an ultra-wide angle lens.

The King's Speech trailer

Anyways, the point of all that was - what has influenced your photography besides other photograph(er)s? Has it changed how you look at the world in general and what your sources of inspiration are?

Comments

• Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Hi Met,

I really am inspired by movie scenes, I love video, and I incorporate some of the things I see in that into still films. I am veering away from "portraiture" and creating something called Cinephotgraphic if you want to say. some of the ideas in film look better with the motion, but like the one below, I just like scenes in my photos.
    39341_445882078155_114691383155_6095635_148515_n.jpg

Another that kinda sparked my eye was one like this

___html_f80eab02eb1069c2441a1b6fc1978571d22e5fb91294858432887792573.jpg

I really want to see my photos get up and walk away or have some motion in it but im constrained:)