Hiking at Twin Falls, Washington

RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
edited January 16, 2011 in Landscapes
My girlfriend and I just recently started hiking some various trails here in the Seattle area, and I have found that it is providing me with a whole slew of photo ops!

These shots were all taken in the Twin Falls State Park about 30 miles east of Seattle. It was cold and snowing, with really low clouds. It really gave it this amazing feeling in under the forest canopy.

You can check out more shots of Twin Falls and other areas HERE

Enjoy!
1152316937_wkyMS-L-1.jpg

1152317728_PP5EL-L.jpg

1152317988_uZ52v-L-1.jpg

1152318360_kx2T9-L-1.jpg

1152318531_Hj2zX-L-1.jpg

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Beautiful. You nailed the shutter speed on those waterfall shots. Looks like lace.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Wow.....3 & 4 are great. If you could blend the two photos, it would make an excellent vertical pano.
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Wow! Beautiful! I was thinking the same thing, would make an awesome vertical pano! Great job!
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Thank you guys! I was really happy with how they all turned out. I had not even noticed how closely those two shots lined up until you both mentioned it! I went in and did a basic vertical pano in Photoshop, and here is what I came up with. It isn't perfect, but I think it is pretty darn good!

1156727668_SjpvT-XL.jpg
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Looks pretty damn good to me! Great job.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    really like that last one... excellent job! Twin Fall is hard to get all in one shot, and because of the vantage point, it's tough to really get a feel for it, but you've managed pretty darn well! there are some nice opportunities down along the river on that trail as well, before that first steep hill...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • HamsterHueyHamsterHuey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Great shots! Could I ask what Neutral density filters you are using? I recently purchased some Lee ND filters for my Cokin P holder and I was extremely disappointed with the strong magenta colorcast of the filters. I'm looking around for a good GND set, but it seems like the only quality ones are really expensive!
    Unhappy SmugMug beta tester - http://smandal.smugmug.com
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Beautiful set. I really love the 5th image, It almost looks surreal with the colors of the water and your shutter speed. Can you give us your meta data, the water almost looks like white string, I love it.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Beautiful set. I really love the 5th image, It almost looks surreal with the colors of the water and your shutter speed. Can you give us your meta data, the water almost looks like white string, I love it.

my EXIF reader pulled this...

Camera Maker: Canon
    Camera Model: Canon EOS 40D
    Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    Image Date: 2011:01:09 16:44:41
    Focal Length: 21mm
    Aperture: f/9.0
    Exposure Time: 1.600 s
    ISO equiv: 100
    Exposure Bias: none
    Metering Mode: Matrix
    Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
    White Balance: Auto
    Flash Fired: No
    Color Space: sRGB
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • bhundtbhundt Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Very nice, the pano is certainly worth framing!
    edited January 16, 2011
    Thanks for the comments everyone! In answer to some of the questions...

HamsterHuey: I was not using any ND filters. It was a very dim overcast day, so I dialed up the f-stop and set the ISO to 100. When I wanted a longer shutter speed I just bumped the f-stop a little higher.

squirl033: You are right, it was difficult! Even more so since I do not have an Ultra Wide. I was also battling the my fear of heights on that little walkway that overlooks the falls! I actually used a rarely needed feature of my tripod to set the center column horizontal, and had it out over the railing with my tripod behind the railing. I used Live View to frame the shot, since I wasn't about to lean over the railing to look in the viewfinder!

I do plan on doing something with the pano. I need to work on it a bit more, I used CS5 Content Aware Fill to ad some area to the upper right and lower left where the image alignment left some white space. It did a pretty good job, but if I'm going to blow it up large I want it to be perfect! I would have left more room for stitching, but I didn't think about it at the time.

My girlfriend and I have been doing more hiking recently, and I plan on continuing to capture what I can. You can check out the full gallery of all my hiking shots at http://photos.wendellbeitzel.com/Sports/HikingWashington

Thank you everyone for commenting! It always helps a person's motivation when you know that others are enjoying what you have captured!!
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    A great series of images, wonderful exposure. You captured the essence of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Twin Falls</st1:place></st1:City> on an overcast day superbly. Living in the <st1:place w:st="on">N Bend</st1:place> area for years, this was a hike my wife and I would frequently do in the evenings.

Phil<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • climbbikeclimbbike Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    love them . . .
    edited January 16, 2011
    @Roaddog_52: Thank you! I was pretty happy with how they came out. It really is a beautiful hike in under the trees. The snow that was falling only added to it!

@climbbike: Thank you!!