Options

Domain Name Taken!

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited January 15, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I've decided to sign up for SmugMug Pro. Since I can use a domain name, I went to godaddy to see if my photography business name was available. I wanted trentphoto.com, but alas, it's taken. Sooooo..... I can do trent-photo.com, or trentphoto.net, or trentphoto.us, but when it's already hard enuf to get clients to TRY to type your website into your browser... how am I ever going to get them to remember a site that's not my-company-name.com?!? I'm planning on giving out business cards, but still... I don't want to lose any clients due to them typing .com instead of .us or .net.

Any suggestions? Yeah, and I don't want to try to buy the name.

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    I've decided to sign up for SmugMug Pro. Since I can use a domain name, I went to godaddy to see if my photography business name was available. I wanted trentphoto.com, but alas, it's taken. Sooooo..... I can do trent-photo.com, or trentphoto.net, or trentphoto.us, but when it's already hard enuf to get clients to TRY to type your website into your browser... how am I ever going to get them to remember a site that's not my-company-name.com?!? I'm planning on giving out business cards, but still... I don't want to lose any clients due to them typing .com instead of .us or .net.

Any suggestions? Yeah, and I don't want to try to buy the name.

Trentphotos.com is available and so is trentsphotos.com as is trentsphoto...but the prob. all of these have is they are likely to land on the wrong page with a transposed letter!

I'd simply think on it and come up with something that'll work for the long haul. You obviously haven't been using trentphoto.com as your biz name...so what name are you using?
    tom wise
  • Options
    Art MorganArt Morgan Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    How about "first name last name photography" dot com.
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    I agree with scott. I was personaltouch photography. I landed a cool 4 char domain ptph.com but when you meet me I say hi I'm mark Dickinson. It's easy to remember a name. Not a name and business name. My recommendation. Buy them all trentohoto.con you f l name and other names yu might want. Google "godaddy 6.99 coupon" and find one that saved you sum chg
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    I was working yesterday with a branding expert. He told me that 8 characters is an ideal length for a trademark name - I never heard this before after many years in marketing but I pass on the advice for what it is worth.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2011
    My company name is Trent Photo... I'm just now setting up a website. Trent Photos (and similar variations) is not my business name. [First name] [last name] photography is not my business name. For me, that would be all too cliche. I like having a shorter business name, it's just 3 syllables and I think it's easy enough to remember. I'm curious as to what Mark did... did you change your business name to Mark Dickinson Photography? I could change my business name, but I'd have to change my logo and everything.... Plus, I'd have to think of another good name and hope that it isn't taken.... Like I said, I don't want my business name to be first-name last-name photography.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2011
    I can do trentphotoonline.com... would that work?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,275 moderator
    edited January 15, 2011
    I like having a shorter business name, it's just 3 syllables and I think it's easy enough to remember.
    I can do trentphotoonline.com... would that work?
    Doesn't that go against your stated desire for a short name?

Of the names you've listed so far, I think trent-photo.com is the closest. But yes, it will likely be mis-typed. You'll need to work to get your site high on the search results list when folks search for "trent photo".

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2011
    Doesn't that go against your stated desire for a short name?

--- Denise

Nope. My short business name is Trent Photo. My website would be trentphotoonline.com. I'd like to keep my company name of Trent Photo. I actually like trentphoto.net, but I just know people will type in .com :(
  • Options
    RobSylvanRobSylvan Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Do people actually type domain names anymore? :)

Seriously though, I'd pick a URL that is easy to say and write down for those times when you need to speak it. Like when you give someone your email address. If it is on your card then they will have it front of them. Otherwise people are most likely to just put in either your name or your business name in google to find your site, so make sure you focus part of your SEO efforts on your names turning up high in the results.

Personally, I don't like the trentphotoonline option. That double-O is likely to trip people up, but it just sounds too 90's. I'd pick trentphoto.net over that as it is short, sweet and to the point, and much easier for you verbally to add, with a smile, "remember it's dot net!"
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2011
    That's a good point... if they type in trentphoto.com then they'll get Trent Photographics which is located in Ontario.... They'll know something's wrong, and they'll either look at the business card or google it. I'm leaning towards trentphoto.net.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2011
    well, it's always nice to research we did our website based on the availability first, i found ptph.com for Personal Touch Photography. But maybe try trentfoto.com It's one I would pick up too just so someone else doesnt get it. cliche would be adding the online after it. You might be good with doing trentphotoVA or Virginia, or "trentphoto(city) too if you are leaning towards that. This way it is keyworded domain.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2011
    RobSylvan wrote: »
    Do people actually type domain names anymore? :)

Seriously though, I'd pick a URL that is easy to say and write down for those times when you need to speak it. Like when you give someone your email address. If it is on your card then they will have it front of them. Otherwise people are most likely to just put in either your name or your business name in google to find your site, so make sure you focus part of your SEO efforts on your names turning up high in the results.

Personally, I don't like the trentphotoonline option. That double-O is likely to trip people up, but it just sounds too 90's. I'd pick trentphoto.net over that as it is short, sweet and to the point, and much easier for you verbally to add, with a smile, "remember it's dot net!"

I think this is correct. some of the domains I have are like mdpstore.com <-- print sales Parked--purchasemyphotos.com. The mdpstore.com had around 350 direct visits. and 500 search engine 1200 facebook referrals. So direct typing does work a little bit
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2011
    If I get trentphoto.net, would you recommend getting trentfoto.net or trentfoto.com? I'm thinking .net so as not to confuse customers.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2011
    If I get trentphoto.net, would you recommend getting trentfoto.net or trentfoto.com? I'm thinking .net so as not to confuse customers.

I literally have 250+ domain names I think the more the better. Just dont google spam them, either redirect 303 i think it is or, create new content.

(from what I know/hear) SEO you are better off with com. I would buy .net .com etc. If you are going to buy it.. buy it within the next 10 minutes, because trolls will buy it, park it and try to sell it to you at inflated rates.

Use this coupon to buy it...

BTPS412 – $2.50 (30%) off / $7.49 any .COM
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2011
    I will not be buying anything that is already owned... thanks for the coupon. 250+ names... that's gotta cost a lot.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2011