Dinner with the GF1

SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
edited January 16, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Mary Lou, the GF1 (micro 4/3rds) and I had dinner at the Melting Pot, a fondue restaurant. A very very dark, good and entertaining eatery. A place where playing with your food is condoned.
(ISO 1600)

1156977356_PqCVF-L.jpg
First course was cheese w/artichoke and spinach with breads, apples and veggies to dip.

1156977321_msSjL-L.jpg
We swilled a very nice Pinot Gris.

1156977469_hqPwE-L.jpg
Second course was the entre, various meats with veggies and stuff. A new pot with seasoned broth to cook it all.

1156977968_yzfat-L.jpg
And then came dessert. ... various yummies, cheese cake, brownies, strawberries, bananas, et cetera ... all dipped in a new pot of chocolate, peanut butter and Bailey's.

More Fondue Here

Gary
My snaps can be found here:
Unsharp at any Speed

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 15, 2011
    GF1 files at 1600 ISO are a bit noisier than 7D or 5DMkII files, but they are still pretty decent, and I love my GF1 too.

Nicely rendered memories of your evening.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    GF1 files at 1600 ISO are a bit noisier than 7D or 5DMkII files, but they are still pretty decent, and I love my GF1 too.

Nicely rendered memories of your evening.

Thanks Pathfinder. First attempt at 1600 ... too noisy for me ... staying at 800.

A few more:

1156976965_Bx67n-XL.jpg

1156977036_J2i7c-O.jpg

1156976910_p5ygk-L.jpg

1156978105_GVaGV-L.jpg

GF1 is the Fun camera!

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited January 15, 2011
    Do you process your files in ACR or do you use the software that came with the GF1? Which lens or lenses were you using as well?

I have only used LR3 or ACR for my GF1 RAW files, and am interested i hearing other view of editing for GF1 RAWs, or jpgs.

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    I don't mind the grain and noise that much. That's a pretty neat camera to bring all the time. Good shots! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
    edited January 15, 2011
    I agree, strongly!

edited January 15, 2011
    Do you process your files in ACR or do you use the software that came with the GF1? Which lens or lenses were you using as well?

I have only used LR3 or ACR for my GF1 RAW files, and am interested i hearing other view of editing for GF1 RAWs, or jpgs.

Neither, I'm using Aperture. New to Aperture so I do some polishing in Photoshop (dodge/burn/crop/rotate). I only have one lens the Pany 20mm 1.7, the 14mm 2.5 should arrive on Monday. I loaded and looked at the Panasonic software ... then said nahhh ... Aperture is capable of doing everything so I'm gonna learn Aperture. I do have Lightroom, just don't like how Adobe makes you think in Adobe, (not saying that Aperture is a free structure environment ... more of a decision of being fed up with Adobe and trying something different). I only shoot in RAW.

Gary

1156978047_db34M-O.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited January 15, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    I don't mind the grain and noise that much. That's a pretty neat camera to bring all the time. Good shots! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Yes it is a real neat camera to take everywhere, My other cameras are full frame and that is the level of noise I find acceptable ... so the little 4/3rd sensor is very hard to take at elevated ISO's.

Gary

Before
    1156977808_33YCb-L.jpg

After
    1156977949_rM2fn-O.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited January 15, 2011
    I agree, strongly!

I echo that thought as well.
    G
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    The "roughness", and your processing of them, make me think of Holga, and I like them for that. Just philosophically, why would you want results which emulate what your other gear gives?headscratch.gif

You can treat the noise (if you really want to) very successfully without loss with NoiseNinja standalone.

And that reminds me to mention that there is a new kid on the block, which in my opinion, is ahead of the game (and cheap!), and that is Bibble5.2Pro (the latest iteration, don't touch earlier).

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 15, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    The "roughness", and your processing of them, make me think of Holga, and I like them for that. Just philosophically, why would you want results which emulate what your other gear gives?headscratch.gif

You can treat the noise (if you really want to) very successfully without loss with NoiseNinja standalone.

And that reminds me to mention that there is a new kid on the block, which in my opinion, is ahead of the game (and cheap!), and that is Bibble5.2Pro (the latest iteration, don't touch earlier).

Neil

Because I find noise as a distraction. My photography is documentation ... not art. Noise competes against the image for presence. The greater the noise the greater the Image Impact is required for the photo to be successful. While I recognize there are always exceptions, that is my philosophy in a nutshell.

I am just learning Aperture and don't know if I've delivered the best Aperture has to offer. I appreciate your suggestion for Bibble and I will give it serious consideration. I gave my PC with NoiseNinja to my daughter.

Gary

Empty
    1156977797_c73J7-L.jpg
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Enjoyed the whole series of photos. As for noise .. it works well with these.

Yummmy .. looks like you had a good meal and a wonderful dessert .. I never turn down chocolate :D

What kind of camera is the GF1?
    edited January 15, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Enjoyed the whole series of photos. As for noise .. it works well with these.

Yummmy .. looks like you had a good meal and a wonderful dessert .. I never turn down chocolate :D

What kind of camera is the GF1?

Thanks Mary. The GF1 by Panasonic, is a Micro 4/3rds, mirrorless camera. It has a 2x crop factor (so the sensor is 1/4th the size of a 35mm frame). As it doesn't have a mirror, the viewing is via the LCD and falls into the category of being an EVIL camera (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lenses). It fills the gap between a P&S and a dSLR. Size-wise, slightly too large to be tucked into a shirt pocket, but easily fits into a jacket pocket (depending upon choice of lens).

The beauty of the GF1 is that one has complete manual control via buttons and dial without the need to use multi-layered menus.

For a small package it packs a good punch.

Here's a link comparing different EVIL cameras.

1156977280_MoQu3-XL.jpg

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited January 16, 2011
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Thanks Mary. The GF1 by Panasonic, is a Micro 4/3rds, mirrorless camera. It has a 2x crop factor (so the sensor is 1/4th the size of a 35mm frame). As it doesn't have a mirror, the viewing is via the LCD and falls into the category of being an EVIL camera (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lenses). It fills the gap between a P&S and a dSLR. Size-wise, slightly too large to be tucked into a shirt pocket, but easily fits into a jacket pocket (depending upon choice of lens).

The beauty of the GF1 is that one has complete manual control via buttons and dial without the need to use multi-layered menus.

For a small package it packs a good punch.

Here's a link comparing different EVIL cameras.

1156977280_MoQu3-XL.jpg

Gary

Hi Gary ..

Thanks for all the info on this camera. I'm amazed at how well it shoots. Certainly a camera I'd like to have to carry around when I don't want to haul all my other stuff.

Gonna take a closer look at the GF1 :D
    edited January 16, 2011
    Hi Gary ..

Thanks for all the info on this camera. I'm amazed at how well it shoots. Certainly a camera I'd like to have to carry around when I don't want to haul all my other stuff.

Gonna take a closer look at the GF1 :D

This was all ISO 1600, which is a bit of a stretch for the 2x crop sensor. Here's a link to some walking around stuff at a lower ISO. Better GF1 IQ Here!

1151051529_AbqEx-XL.jpg

Gary
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited January 16, 2011
    This was all ISO 1600, which is a bit of a stretch for the 2x crop sensor. Here's a link to some walking around stuff at a lower ISO. Better GF1 IQ Here!

1151051529_AbqEx-XL.jpg

Gary

ISO at 1600 is a no-go with my 40d. It would look like a snowstorm if I had taken this set that high rolleyes1.gif

Took a look at your photos .. gee this camera is really good.
    edited January 16, 2011
    ISO at 1600 is a no-go with my 40d. It would look like a snowstorm if I had taken this set that high rolleyes1.gif

Took a look at your photos .. gee this camera is really good.

And it is just a fun camera to carry around and use.

G

PS- If you are serious about getting an EVIL, Samy's Camera has the best deal on them right now at $299 for the body. I recommend the Pany 20mm 1.7 pancake for your first lens. The zooms really extent out quite a bit and are not nearly as sharp or fast as the 20mm. (All my photos were with the 20mm.)
    G
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited January 16, 2011
    And it is just a fun camera to carry around and use.

G

PS- If you are serious about getting an EVIL, Samy's Camera has the best deal on them right now at $299 for the body. I recommend the Pany 20mm 1.7 pancake for your first lens. The zooms really extent out quite a bit and are not nearly as sharp or fast as the 20mm. (All my photos were with the 20mm.)
    G

Thanks a bunch thumb.gif

Why is it called an EVIL?
    edited January 16, 2011
    Thanks a bunch thumb.gif

Why is it called an EVIL?

because it is ... Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lenses.
    Unsharp at any Speed
    edited January 16, 2011
    because it is ... Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lenses.

Duh .. I should of figured that out :D
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    Olympus PEN series
    The GF1 is a great camera, by all accounts, and you can get it really cheap right now. Have you seen this review of it? http://craigmod.com/journal/gf1-fieldtest/ It's pretty near and there are some beautiful pictures, too.

Keep in mind that Olympus also makes cameras that use the same lenses/lens mount (it's called "micro 4/3") as the Panasonic Lumix G series, including the GF1, and they are pretty neat too. The Olympus cameras are called the PEN series.

In addition to the smokin' deals you can get on the GF1 and some other of the older Lumix G series, there are some good deals on the older PENs right now, too, as a new model has just been announced. I have an Olympus PEN E-PL1 and I use it with the 20mm lens that Seefutlung has mentioned in this thread, and I get some great results with that, as well.

For the most part, the sensors that the various PEN and Lumix G Series cameras use are the same or very similar, except for the Panasonic GH1/GH2, which have special, larger, video-optimized sensors. But I find that the more "basic" sensor of the GF1 and my E-PL1 takes amazing pictures, even in low-light, especially when paired with the 20mm lens. The quality is head and shoulders above a p&s, and the creative control of having a camera with a good sensor that you can use on full-manual is really fun.