Options

How to edit to get this color?

2»

Comments

• Options
    babygodzillababygodzilla Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    Yeah I'm thinking he probably Photoshopped it. Damn good job of PSing tho. Untrained eyes would think they're just as natural as the sun. I don't think he used one of those special lenses. He has a list of gear and tilt or lensbaby are not in the list.

Anyway, I played with some of my pics today and I got a similar B&W (I think). Check it out and lemme know what you think! Basically I played with Fill Light and Highlights in LR.

1192861393_Fq7gJ-M.jpg
  • Options
    MammaPaparazzaMammaPaparazza Registered Users Posts: 221 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    On another forum someone was also asking about this technique, and bleaching was suggested.
    I have a slew of Photoshop CS2 books here that I'm constantly studying...should I come across it, I'll be sure to let you know, in the meantime, I would shot in RAW and open the picture with that software and work from there, or even go under adjustments...and then find FILTERS...they give you 3 warming filters and a couple cooling ones, and also some other ones that are fun to try. Adjust the opacity on them as well for a desired effect.
    Hope this helps...I'm still learning, but anything is better nothing :)
    Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively. - Dalai Lama XIV
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    continuing on this thread, on a similar topic, Sean Flanigan from Seattle is one of my favorite photographers. I can't explain his photographs. To say "vintage" is far from accurate. I think the colored pictures are sometimes flat, desaturated. While his black and whites have high contrast? In any case, many elements in his pictures almost blend in with each other. Skin blends in with wall. in B&W pics, there is no black nor white. Everything is a shade of gray. What do you guys think? Can you guys explain these pictures better in English?

For example, in the following picture look how the woman's skin color almost blends in with the wall. How do you explain that?

the pic of the bride on the left that looks super bright looks like it was layered,
    the others look like they were desaturated and then contrast added and saturation.
    I will show something like it when I figure out how to do it on this forum :)
    It is vain to do with more what can be done with less. - William of Occam (c. 1288-1348)
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    This is the orginal
    DSC_0151.JPG
    Then I desaturated it and upped the contrast and Saturation after the Desat.
    151cr.jpg
    I'm still learning, but this is what those techniques look like to me.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    I think a lot of what you are asking about in these examples are products of feathering and a blur effect...I'm unsure of which one but try gaussian blur filter
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2011
    On another forum someone was also asking about this technique, and bleaching was suggested.
    I have a slew of Photoshop CS2 books here that I'm constantly studying...should I come across it, I'll be sure to let you know, in the meantime, I would shot in RAW and open the picture with that software and work from there, or even go under adjustments...and then find FILTERS...they give you 3 warming filters and a couple cooling ones, and also some other ones that are fun to try. Adjust the opacity on them as well for a desired effect.
    Hope this helps...I'm still learning, but anything is better nothing :)

bleaching? do you have instructions for that? thanks! ill google it too.

I mostly do post in LR, but I'll check out my PS.
    the pic of the bride on the left that looks super bright looks like it was layered,
    the others look like they were desaturated and then contrast added and saturation.
    I will show something like it when I figure out how to do it on this forum :)

yup! layered, exactly what I thought. but layered with what? :)

wait, desaturated, contrast up, and then saturated again? doesn't that just cancel out the desaturation?
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2011
    BinaryFx wrote: »
    These focus effects can be done in post or at capture.

In post, using a filtered layer and a gradated or otherwise edited layer mask.

Or at capture using a tilt shift lens, lensbaby etc.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

http://binaryfx.customer.netspace.net.au/ (coming soon!)
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
    http://prepression.blogspot.com/

speaking of tilt-shift, found a cool tutorial here

hope that helps someone :)
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2011
    For example, in the following picture look how the woman's skin color almost blends in with the wall. How do you explain that?

A solid understanding of the camera, and awesome, amazing, totally pure photoshop skills!

This guy is not using any generic special effects filters, no plugins, nothing special (I have used them all, I can pick them out from a mile away). This is important to note, because you will waste tons of time, money, and get very frustrated if you think you can copy those looks with any of those prepackaged filters or plugins.

Simply, this person has a solid understanding of photoshop, knows how to get the look he wants with it, and has the ability to envision the final look he wants while taking the photo.

Coming up with those sorts of effects is relatively easy if you are totally dedicated and have the time to fully learn every little aspect of photoshop. If you want to learn how to get those looks, and develop a similar post processing look, there are no shortcuts to learning how to use photoshop.

I recommend you subscribe to lynda.com, and watch the Deke McClelland One on One series. It is three parts that total over 60 hours of video. While it wont teach you how to develop your own unique look, it will give you a solid enough understanding of photoshop to be able to develop your own unique look. You could also try kelby training or one of the other services. For most people, books just dont cut it, professional training videos is the way to go.
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2011
    To add to my last post about learning the fine details of photoshop, I just happen to have many photos I photoshoped that incorporate many of those same details. While my photos are nowhere near as good as his, the effects are easy to do, you first need the training. So here are some clues to get you started.

The first image of his seems to have a overexposed gradient, with maybe a colored gradeant layer from the left, and a off center color vignette from the right. Although one might first think it is desaturated, that doesn't seem to be the case. I did something similar with this photo with the vignette (although in my own style of over the top color)

1150100659_SnYag-XL.jpg

The second image seems to be just a B&W with a curves adjustment (or something similar), nothing special there. This seems to be the same with the other B&W photos. I would recommend you use a B&W adjustment layer, and tweek each color individually. It might help to open up the same photo in a second window so you can reference what colors you want to change. It sounds strange to work with colors in a B&W image, but thats how it works. After you get the adjustment filter colors set, adjust your curve or use shadows/highlights, etc.

The third image is really easy, more then you would think. One might start with a exposure adjustment layer, but NOT over exposing, but instead adjusting the gamma value till you get the washed out look. Then adjust the curve to get to were you want the shadows and highlights. Then the color or any other adjustments you want.
    I have used that look on occasion, very easy to reproduce, and way overused and worn out by many people. Start with the gamma, then work the curves.

It really helps if you are able to have the vision in your head when you take the photos, so you can start by using the proper exposure and lighting to get the end look you want. Lighting would be important in any of those photos, avoiding shadows that would reuin the effects (like the heavy ugly shadow in my example)
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    sorry I didnt check this in so long...no actually when I desaturated it first it was kinda flat black (the coat on my boy) but then when you slide the saturation button up on the scale the black becomes slick!) I thought the same thing you did, but then I tried it...I'm telling you...many moons later and I'm finally starting to figure out that photoshop is worth learning!
    lol
    I found a link for bleaching in photoshop, it involves making 3 layers...one in overlay, one in hue/saturation, one in levels and one in curves (if you need this one)...but I'm still tweaking it to get the desired effect, I'm finding that it only works well with outdoor pics, but then again...there are probably more ways to do then this guys thread...
    here is the link
    http://takeoutphoto.blogspot.com/2009/04/bleach-bypass-photoshop-tutorial.html
    It was kinda hard for me to follow...I'm still working on it, and also at the same time looking for an easier method, as I am only using Photoshop right now :)
    hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2011
    sorry I didnt check this in so long...no actually when I desaturated it first it was kinda flat black (the coat on my boy) but then when you slide the saturation button up on the scale the black becomes slick!) I thought the same thing you did, but then I tried it...I'm telling you...many moons later and I'm finally starting to figure out that photoshop is worth learning!
    lol
    I found a link for bleaching in photoshop, it involves making 3 layers...one in overlay, one in hue/saturation, one in levels and one in curves (if you need this one)...but I'm still tweaking it to get the desired effect, I'm finding that it only works well with outdoor pics, but then again...there are probably more ways to do then this guys thread...
    here is the link
    http://takeoutphoto.blogspot.com/2009/04/bleach-bypass-photoshop-tutorial.html
    It was kinda hard for me to follow...I'm still working on it, and also at the same time looking for an easier method, as I am only using Photoshop right now :)
    hope this helps!

I am not sure what photo or post your replying to? I dont see any photos that have a bleach bypass look to them in this thread? Bleach bypass (bleaching) is a very specific look, and has been around forever, it has a really distinct really high contrast, with low saturation look to it. Think some blown out highlights with super dark shadows, and low saturation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach_bypass

edit, photo #3 on the first page has somewhat of a bleach bypass look to it, although with a color overlay
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    Is this in the right neighborhood?

1204272533_qX885-L.jpg1204274274_YbUJE-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2011
    i like the second pic. its on the right track i think :)
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    A solid understanding of the camera, and awesome, amazing, totally pure photoshop skills!

This guy is not using any generic special effects filters, no plugins, nothing special (I have used them all, I can pick them out from a mile away). This is important to note, because you will waste tons of time, money, and get very frustrated if you think you can copy those looks with any of those prepackaged filters or plugins.

Simply, this person has a solid understanding of photoshop, knows how to get the look he wants with it, and has the ability to envision the final look he wants while taking the photo.

Coming up with those sorts of effects is relatively easy if you are totally dedicated and have the time to fully learn every little aspect of photoshop. If you want to learn how to get those looks, and develop a similar post processing look, there are no shortcuts to learning how to use photoshop.

I recommend you subscribe to lynda.com, and watch the Deke McClelland One on One series. It is three parts that total over 60 hours of video. While it wont teach you how to develop your own unique look, it will give you a solid enough understanding of photoshop to be able to develop your own unique look. You could also try kelby training or one of the other services. For most people, books just dont cut it, professional training videos is the way to go.

thanks a lot! ill go visit that website
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    To add to my last post about learning the fine details of photoshop, I just happen to have many photos I photoshoped that incorporate many of those same details. While my photos are nowhere near as good as his, the effects are easy to do, you first need the training. So here are some clues to get you started.

The first image of his seems to have a overexposed gradient, with maybe a colored gradeant layer from the left, and a off center color vignette from the right. Although one might first think it is desaturated, that doesn't seem to be the case. I did something similar with this photo with the vignette (although in my own style of over the top color)

1150100659_SnYag-XL.jpg

The second image seems to be just a B&W with a curves adjustment (or something similar), nothing special there. This seems to be the same with the other B&W photos. I would recommend you use a B&W adjustment layer, and tweek each color individually. It might help to open up the same photo in a second window so you can reference what colors you want to change. It sounds strange to work with colors in a B&W image, but thats how it works. After you get the adjustment filter colors set, adjust your curve or use shadows/highlights, etc.

The third image is really easy, more then you would think. One might start with a exposure adjustment layer, but NOT over exposing, but instead adjusting the gamma value till you get the washed out look. Then adjust the curve to get to were you want the shadows and highlights. Then the color or any other adjustments you want.
    I have used that look on occasion, very easy to reproduce, and way overused and worn out by many people. Start with the gamma, then work the curves.

It really helps if you are able to have the vision in your head when you take the photos, so you can start by using the proper exposure and lighting to get the end look you want. Lighting would be important in any of those photos, avoiding shadows that would reuin the effects (like the heavy ugly shadow in my example)

wow thanks a lot for the instructions! you make it sound so easy :) i dont think ive ever played with gamma before... ill give it a try