Crossfit Gym Shoot

Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
edited January 19, 2011 in People
I have a shoot coming up in a couple of weeks at a local Crossfit gym. The look of the place is gritty and urban. Shot a few strobist style shots in there today while scouting and working on shot list. Wondering how ya'll feel about the grainy vignette PP in #1 vs the softer B&W version #2.
Thanks for the C&C

Crossfit+Paige-4.jpg

Crossfit+Paige-8.jpg

Comments

• Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Maybe a better comparison set:

167301_122051557865632_100001823659837_141223_3501581_n.jpg

167608_122051354532319_100001823659837_141221_4121490_n.jpg
  • Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    I like the vignette in the second set, it fits the place better, but I find there to be too much grain. Could you possibly tone down the grain a bit or make it a smaller size?
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
    edited January 15, 2011
    Kyle D wrote: »
    I like the vignette in the second set, it fits the place better, but I find there to be too much grain. Could you possibly tone down the grain a bit or make it a smaller size?

Thanks Kyle. Point well taken. I'll re post shortly.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    I like them either way. Looks like a fun shoot.
    Maybe don't crop them all so tight, include a bit of the surroundings...just for some variety.
    edited January 15, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    I like them either way. Looks like a fun shoot.
    Maybe don't crop them all so tight, include a bit of the surroundings...just for some variety.

Thanks Mike. I definately will be shooting wider for a lot of the shots.
    We have several gym clients and a couple of fitness models scheduled for a few sessions over the next month. Right now I am trying to get some feel for the location and the concept behind Crossfit Training. Heres one more. All Thoughts and C&C welcome.

165146_122034101200711_100001823659837_141084_3645313_n.jpg
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Albert, what strikes me most about the style of your samples is their affinity to Street genre. In me it causes a bit of dissonance, though I wouldn't want to dissuade you from it for that reason. However, I do think you might need to marry the look with something offbeat in the way of angle and distortion. As it is they are shot very straight. For example, if you're keeping this look, I would be very tempted to play with WA closeup with a lot of location background way back in the background. Gyms are usually busy places in what's going on and the accumulation of gear and the building. I think I would like to get a feel for the busy-ness, as a major compositional basis, along with an in-close-beads-of-sweat contact with the subject. That would help to cut it separate from the strong association with Street that I mentioned which for me is a bit of a problem coming neat as you now have it. All the best.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 15, 2011
    Neil, thats cool. I see the perspective issue you are making. I like the WA take and will definately play with that. Thanks.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Neil, thats cool. I see the perspective issue you are making. I like the WA take and will definately play with that. Thanks.

Yeah.

The light too is gonna be interesting whatever, you can just cut free and let it do its thing. I would use as fast WA glass as you can.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Nice shots no doubt but as Niel mentioned this type of thing is the perfect opportunity to try different angles and what not. It not easy to move beyond "the spectator" in the seat perspective and into other realms. I have done much of this too and I will strive to move beyond that on my next outing.
    I really like number one
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited January 15, 2011
    Rey, Neil, All great points and I am diggin the input. The shot idea list for this project is getting realy juicy. Can't wait to get started for real.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Very nice work and love both shots. Could be a nice site for what I call hatchet lighting. Two lights coming in from a 45 behing the subject to line the body and a main very low to fill in the front.
    edited January 18, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Very nice work and love both shots. Could be a nice site for what I call hatchet lighting. Two lights coming in from a 45 behing the subject to line the body and a main very low to fill in the front.

Excellent thought. This is a setup I have not used but defenately want to try out. You are right. this is the perfect shoot for that. Thanks .
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    I like it. Really enjoy the softer ones. As a friend of several cross-fitters, I think that you are capturing the feel of these types of gyms and the focus on working against one's self to achieve something. The solitary feel of the subjects is great.

Nice job!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • DCousins44DCousins44 Banned Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 19, 2011
    As someone who has spent a ton of time in gyms, your photos really capture the essence of what it's like to work out. I'm not sure if it's because you are actually at a gym with character (not your run of the mill sterile "box gym" environment) or the camera settings that you are using, but the "grainy look" gives it a nice, classic quality.