Options

#68-Eating chocolate

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited January 24, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well she enjoyed this challenge, but reshoot will have to wait til tomorrow, too much sugar for today :rofl.
I tried to enhance the chocolate theme with the brown hat, gloves and then her natural features, both eyes and hair.

Does it work?
1157535279_hyoDT-L.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    What a beautiful portrait! Definitely works, I only wish the chocolate could be seen a little more, but even if you can't reshoot, I love thisclap.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Yes, definitely a beautiful portrait. I love the brown monotones.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    I agree - it would be perfect if you could see more chocolate. Beautiful shot!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Absolutely adorable shot - agree that it would be nice to see more of the chocolate, but this capture with the great color tones really nails the shot - and the composition with the tilted hat & knitted "muff" is beautiful!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    Absolutely beautiful portrait, pose and all chocolate tones - I agree with the others clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    What if she was holding a torn open Hershey bar? Fold back the paper and foil real nicely and then let her take a bite? It would give you more 'chocolate'....I would also like to see a tiny bit more of her eye, or none of it... .but great shot!
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2011
    Thank you all for your input.
    I had one piece of chocolate in the entire house when we started shooting! Though I tried to get her to eat it slow, it didn't work, this is the one with the most chocolate showing. Soon it was a half eaten melted mess that did not photograph well.

I hope to reshoot next weekend. If I'm able then I will buy a hershey bar, my favorite anyway, so it's more prominent.

Here are a couple of others that didnt' make the cut.
    1157496970_zMpxz-L-1.jpg

then it was gone:)
    1157494267_kKFkf-L.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    The co-ordinating browns are a lovely enhancement....
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    I like the really close crop in your second photo(especially if there was more chocolate in her mouth). I've been told I like unusual crops, though, so YMMV. The browns are great.
    Thank you all for your input.
    I had one piece of chocolate in the entire house when we started shooting! Though I tried to get her to eat it slow, it didn't work, this is the one with the most chocolate showing. Soon it was a half eaten melted mess that did not photograph well.

I hope to reshoot next weekend. If I'm able then I will buy a hershey bar, my favorite anyway, so it's more prominent.
  • Options
    bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    Liz, I really love the first one. To me the comp and crop are sweet...no pun intended. :) The tone you used adds to the "chocolate" theme beautifully!
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2011
    bf2015 wrote: »
    Liz, I really love the first one. To me the comp and crop are sweet...no pun intended. :) The tone you used adds to the "chocolate" theme beautifully!

I agree Liz, #1 is still just so good!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but the pictures seem to be more about the little girl than about chocolate to me.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2011
    Jenn wrote: »
    I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but the pictures seem to be more about the little girl than about chocolate to me.

Thank you everybody!

Sunflowerstudio--I go for odd crops myself quite a bit:)

Jenn--To me it's not so much about the chocolate--the theme is chocolate, but it doesn't necessarily have to be something you eat. It's how you interpret the challenge. So yes she's eating chocolate, but I wanted it more to be about the chocolate tones, her hat, gloves, eyes, hair, and yes the bit of chocolate just to really stick with the theme. It is more about her and the tones, though I wish the chocolate was little more visible as has been suggested.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    I like it too... nicely sharp on her eye and flatteringly soft elsewhere... I wanted to do something with a hershey bar where the foil was pulled back, but to my dismay, the ones we had at home (from a multi pack bought to make s'mores) were just plastic wrappers... :-(

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    The Chocolate tones you carried are ideal ! Great idea!

I think seeing her just as she is, but with the remnants prominently displayed/smeared on her lips ( as she has finished) would bring it all home!
    tom wise
  • Options
    jbrown4849jbrown4849 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    To me, the last photo "then it was gone:)" pretty much sums up how one indulges in a private moment with chocolate...
    I think it is perfect.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    I thought #1 still Liz but #3 is more intimate in relationship to the eating. It's growing on me. Love the crop too.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2011
    Patti wrote: »
    I thought #1 still Liz but #3 is more intimate in relationship to the eating. It's growing on me. Love the crop too.

thank you all for your input.
    I did not get to shoot her again this weekend. I had a good window for it but forgot to buy the chocolate and with the frigid cold outside, I was not going out rolleyes1.gif.

Tom--it's all I can see now is the lack of smeared chocolate. I do wish I had a big hershey bar.

Patti, I tried to rework #3 to bring out her eyes more and clown out some of that hair in her face and eyes--and I totally butchered it!

I am going to post the original now--it's game time in 3 hours, have lots of prepping to do:)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2011
    I did not get to shoot her again this weekend. I had a good window for it but forgot to buy the chocolate and with the frigid cold outside, I was not going out rolleyes1.gif.

Tom--it's all I can see now is the lack of smeared chocolate. I do wish I had a big hershey bar.

Patti, I tried to rework #3 to bring out her eyes more and clown out some of that hair in her face and eyes--and I totally butchered it!

I am going to post the original now--it's game time in 3 hours, have lots of prepping to do:)

Hah! Bears /Packers kick-off is just about to start-Party time!!!! Go Bears!
    Karin

• Options
    edited January 23, 2011
    ic4u wrote: »
    Hah! Bears /Packers kick-off is just about to start-Party time!!!! Go Bears!

Karin! what's going on?! I want a Jets/Bears superbowl!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2011
    Karin! what's going on?! I want a Jets/Bears superbowl!

Me too, but right now, my daughters hearing a whole bunch of new words, if I only had a tape recorder!!!!Not looking good right now
    P.S. Love, love your entry!
    Karin

• Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011

I like that little bit of hair in her face -- shows her personality through a bit more. I really like #3, though #1 is also great -- I like the use of DOF.

Big props for taking chocolate as the inspiration, and not (entirely) the literal subject. That makes you think more about what "chocolate" might mean.

I didn't have time or access to a model, but I would have liked to get an extreme closeup of the face of a chocolate lab, with my daughter's orange jack-o-lantern halloween bag in its mouth.

Anyway, great shot. It just overtook the Falling M&Ms to be my favorite so far.clap.gif
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2011
    Me too, but right now, my daughters hearing a whole bunch of new words, if I only had a tape recorder!!!!Not looking good right now
    P.S. Love, love your entry!

:cry It is a sad, sad day here in Chicago
    Karin

• Options
    edited January 24, 2011
    bbjones wrote: »
    I like that little bit of hair in her face -- shows her personality through a bit more. I really like #3, though #1 is also great -- I like the use of DOF.

Big props for taking chocolate as the inspiration, and not (entirely) the literal subject. That makes you think more about what "chocolate" might mean.

I didn't have time or access to a model, but I would have liked to get an extreme closeup of the face of a chocolate lab, with my daughter's orange jack-o-lantern halloween bag in its mouth.

Anyway, great shot. It just overtook the Falling M&Ms to be my favorite so far.clap.gif

Thank you--very nice compliment.

The choc lab idea sounds really good, I just saw the entries and saw someone had that very same idea!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2011
    :cry It is a sad, sad day here in Chicago

Karin--I bet our reaction at home was much like yours. I'm still proud of them though but we're all pretty bummed out here in New York too.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2011
    Jenn--To me it's not so much about the chocolate--the theme is chocolate, but it doesn't necessarily have to be something you eat. It's how you interpret the challenge. So yes she's eating chocolate, but I wanted it more to be about the chocolate tones, her hat, gloves, eyes, hair, and yes the bit of chocolate just to really stick with the theme. It is more about her and the tones, though I wish the chocolate was little more visible as has been suggested.

hmmm so .. if I did a picture of lots of hersheys chocolate emblems.. that would work, too?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2011
    Jenn wrote: »
    hmmm so .. if I did a picture of lots of hersheys chocolate emblems.. that would work, too?

Hi Jenn,
    I'm not sure what you mean--Just the name Hersheys?

Again I don't know that actual chocolate needs to be envolved as long as you get chocolate from it, either tones, color or actual chocolate etc. There is a gorgeous chocolate colored dog in the entries which works, but obviously he's not made of chocolate--but it still works.

It's how you choose to interpret the theme. It might work or it might bomb, you never know, it all depends on how good the shot is.

Sometimes I get wrapped up in being very literal when working on a theme or when commenting on others shots. I have to remind myself not to be so literal all the time. I still do it, I did it on this theme myself with Simpson Brothers with his kid and all the candy falling on him. I told him I didn't get chocolate (I saw candy--see literal). It's an awesome shot, but I actually wanted to see something brown, but it was his take on the theme and it's one of the best shots this round.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2011
    Hi Jenn,
    I'm not sure what you mean--Just the name Hersheys?

Again I don't know that actual chocolate needs to be envolved as long as you get chocolate from it, either tones, color or actual chocolate etc. There is a gorgeous chocolate colored dog in the entries which works, but obviously he's not made of chocolate--but it still works.

It's how you choose to interpret the theme. It might work or it might bomb, you never know, it all depends on how good the shot is.

Sometimes I get wrapped up in being very literal when working on a theme or when commenting on others shots. I have to remind myself not to be so literal all the time. I still do it, I did it on this theme myself with Simpson Brothers with his kid and all the candy falling on him. I told him I didn't get chocolate (I saw candy--see literal). It's an awesome shot, but I actually wanted to see something brown, but it was his take on the theme and it's one of the best shots this round.

Well... I took some photos of the chocolate isle at the store and got a nice close up of Hershy's kisses and the word chocolate. I posted it on a thread here ... it's one of my favorites that I took, and I also took a couple others, and then entered one of a pc of chocolate cake. I think the cake is composed well and lit well .. but the Kisses image is still my favorite.

edit: btw .. your little girl image is so cute! I like how you focused on her eye there!
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Well she enjoyed this challenge, but reshoot will have to wait til tomorrow, too much sugar for today rolleyes1.gif.
    I tried to enhance the chocolate theme with the brown hat, gloves and then her natural features, both eyes and hair.

Does it work?

Yes. It works well.

The color cast is so appropriate and warm and say chocolate without a doubt. As to the size of the candy... I'm thinking the pose shows bit of purposeful hiding which I think adds to the overall image. One of my favorites so far for sure.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug