Mature Live Oaks of New Orleans City Park

becomethechangebecomethechange Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited January 19, 2011 in Landscapes
Two hundred years ago City Park was a swampy oak forest, home of Accolapissa and Biloxi tribes who traded by dugout canoe along the banks of Bayou St. John. City Park's forest includes approximately 14,000 mature trees and approximately 50 species including Bald Cypress, Southern Magnolia, Pine and a variety of oaks including the most populous Southern Live Oaks (more than 3,000 specimens), Water, Overcup, White, Sawtooth, Cow, Cherrybark, and Nuttall Oak.

The Park is home to the largest collection of mature live oaks in the world, some several hundred years old. There are several traits that make the live oak unique among oaks. It is evergreen, or almost so, because the old leaves drop about the same time as the new leaves appear in the spring. Thus, the name "live" oak. It has a distinctive low spread and form, almost sculptural. It is common to see mature trees with lateral limbs that reach the ground. Many old trees have a branch spread which is twice the height of the tree.

<a href="http://neworleanscitypark.com/live_oaks.html&quot; rel="nofollow">neworleanscitypark.com/live_oaks.html</a>

1157578272_NUBBT-XL.jpg

1157575734_AfP9i-XL.jpg

View them in their full glory here: http://bit.ly/fz5PdN

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    I love NOLA and I love the lush greenery that bursts from the ground at every turn. These oaks sure look like they've seen a lot.. in a good way. Your b/w treatment is perfect for the subject.
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Wonderful shots of these majestic oaks! I love the depth of field, and just the flowing nature of these beautiful trees. Best, Pam
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    It's been a lot of years since I've been in that park. I really like that first shot…brings back memories from college era. :D