Canon AE-1

AdrianRVAdrianRV Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited January 19, 2011 in Cameras
Made a big mistake!:cry I tried to clean some old foam that was stuck to my focusing screen as it was really annoying to stare at through the viewfinder, and there is now a couple of streaks visible through the viewfinder! I don't know what to do, any idea as to how to go about on cleaning it back to normal?:dunno Will this affect my pictures in any form?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 16, 2011
    I can't remember if the viewfinder on the AE-1 is user replaceable or not. If you can get the viewfinder out you might try some denatured alcohol to remove the gunk.

I do think that the exposure system is atop the viewfinder so that might be a little affected, but for film I doubt that you would ever notice it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AdrianRVAdrianRV Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I can't remember if the viewfinder on the AE-1 is user replaceable or not. If you can get the viewfinder out you might try some denatured alcohol to remove the gunk.

I do think that the exposure system is atop the viewfinder so that might be a little affected, but for film I doubt that you would ever notice it.

I can actually get to the gunk just by removing my lens, should I try jamming a cotton swab dipped in alcohol and try to remove it with that?ne_nau.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 17, 2011
    AdrianRV wrote: »
    I can actually get to the gunk just by removing my lens, should I try jamming a cotton swab dipped in alcohol and try to remove it with that?ne_nau.gif

I don't recommend that because the alcohol should not get onto other parts inside the camera. It's best if you can get the screen out of the camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    I'm pretty sure the AE-1 screens are supposed to be user replaceable. As Ziggy mentioned, you should remove the screen before you attempt to clean it. If that doesn't help, a new screen may be required. If you don't feel like doing either of those, this problem won't affect your pictures, assuming you can still focus correctly.
  • glockman99glockman99 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    If you remove the screen to clean it, be SURE not to "clean" the frensel side of the screen, as it WILL scratch very easily...Only clean the "polished/reflective" side of the screen.
    Dann Fassnacht (glockman99)
    Aberdeen, WA USA
    glockman99@hotmail.com
  • AdrianRVAdrianRV Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Thanks everyonethumb.gif, I will try to get the screen out as soon as I figure out how to do sorolleyes1.gif