Options

Scaling/Reducing Image Size

newbnewb Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited January 17, 2011 in Finishing School
So this question came about as I was trying to make an image fit the required dimensions for an avatar. Im starting with an image that is 4310x2868 pixels and 1.58 MB. First I cropped out as much as I could, then I scaled the image down to the required pixel dimensions. The result looked terrible. So next I cropped like before, then scaled the image down just enough so it would meet the maximum file size when I saved it at the lowest quality. Again, the results werent very good.

What else can I try to reduce the image size and still keep most of the detail? Thanks.
D7000/D5000 | Nikkor Glass | SB600's | RF602's | CS5/LR3

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 16, 2011
    You need to start with a simple graphic image, without a lot of real fine detail, and then Save for the Web as a jpg. That should get you down to the image size you need, typically 80 pixels on a size or so depending on the website requirements, less than 80-100kB
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    There are many different interpolation algorithms that can be used to downsize an image while preserving detail and minimizing undesirable artifacts. No single tool is going to prove best for all images; it's a context sensitive problem.

But here's one very decent program that you can download, install, and try in a minute or two:

http://www.fsoft.it/imaging/en/default.htm