Options

LR3 Smart Collection For Un-Published Photos

jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
edited February 2, 2011 in Finishing School
I've tried several ways to setup a smart collection that will show me photos that have NOT yet been uploaded to my two smugmug accounts (and I use the built in LR > SM publish feature).

I haven't gotten this to work, but am basically trying to find the easiest way for LR to show me photos that I haven't published yet, so I can go back through dozens of folders and either delete or finish and upload those leftover files.

Any tips? Thanks! :dunno
John in Georgia
Nikon | Private Photojournalist

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    I don’t use such a plug-in but do keep track of images I use for web galleries. The trick is just before or after upload, when you have them all in one place so to speak, enter some metadata when all are selected. For example, in the Caption field, you could add “uploaded” then build a SC that looks for that metadata. You could also use a color code but I far prefer metadata that gets embedded into the data.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    If you use the jfriedl publish tool (donationware), a few metadata fields are added, "Uploaded to smugmug" (yes/no) would be the one to filter on. I can't see where the official smugmug tool adds anything like this.

I'm hoping that the official smugmug tool gets some sort of update soon.
  • Options
    Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    I use the color labels. Purple = Published. I set up a smart collection called Picks but not Published and I go through it every so often to see what good photos I might have missed and also if there are any that I remember publishing, but didn't label correctly.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    I'm still learning to use the Publishing addin in LR3. But I think I've noticed that if you add pictures to a Publishing gallery, if you click on the gallery name, any photos not yet uploaded will appear at the top of the preview screen under a separate header. I suspect if you're using a smart gallery, and are using keywords, colors, etc. to label your pics, if any get added to the publishing smart gallery, you would see those not yet uploaded at the top of the previews.

On a separate note, I found that LR was able to retrieve the SM gallery names, but did not automatically show which pictures were in those galleries? Is there a way to reconcile? I realize there could be issues regarding filenames, or whether a SM picture is even in the LR catalog. Or will I need to populate the LR galleries myself.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    aj986s wrote: »
    On a separate note, I found that LR was able to retrieve the SM gallery names, but did not automatically show which pictures were in those galleries? Is there a way to reconcile? I realize there could be issues regarding filenames, or whether a SM picture is even in the LR catalog. Or will I need to populate the LR galleries myself.

I agree, I've noticed that too and it would be AWESOME if LR/SM would be able to at least show thumbnails or some information showing the photos that are already in SM galleries.

Otherwise, I have found the upload-interface pretty slick. thumb.gif
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist