New and looking for advice

B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited January 17, 2011 in People
Hello everyone.

I am very new to this and just looking for advice.
Here are a couple of my first attempts at using an off camera flash setup.
I used my Canon 7D with a 2 flash setup. I guess I can only upload 1????

Comments

• B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    Is this an improvement?
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    First one is way underexposed. Second one looks like you tried to push exposure in post. Exposure is better but it looks like focus on the eyes is soft. Also, you mention this is a two light setup but I see no evidence of a second light... there is no fill. His left side is deep in shadow. This is OK if it's what you're going for but I still don't where your use of the second light comes in.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    First one is way underexposed. Second one looks like you tried to push exposure in post. Exposure is better but it looks like focus on the eyes is soft. Also, you mention this is a two light setup but I see no evidence of a second light... there is no fill. His left side is deep in shadow. This is OK if it's what you're going for but I still don't where your use of the second light comes in.

You are right about the light setup. I was using two flashes, but did not realize that my 420 ex is not capable of operating in manual mode.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    B Joyner,
    Best advice I can give you is to learn how to read your histogram. It will tell you when a photo is right.
    Then get outside and work on exposures. Once you get that down then try the lights again.
    Keep at it, the more time and effort you put into it the quicker you will improve.