Options

Image/Lens Quality Q:

Coleman PhotographyColeman Photography Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
edited January 17, 2011 in Technique
was wondering if any one shoots with the Tokina 80-400 4.5. I have been wondering if I have a bad copy of this lens because it does not seem sharp. so tonight I went and shot a few surf shots and did a few different things. Once I looked at this pic I acually thought it came out pretty good. All exif info is on the image below. Whats your thoughts:

surfer was like 50 yards away

DSC_0106copy.jpg

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 17, 2011
    Evaluating the optical quality of a lens is best done with the lens/camera on a tripod, shooting a stationary target, via a cable release and mirror lock up. This enables one to distinguish between camera/lens movement, autofocusing issues, and subject movement among other issues. This problems are even more critical with long glass, like your Tokina lens.

Your small web image in this thread does not allow me to render a worthwhile judgement. It looks neither horrible, nor stellar, but all bets are off evaluating telescopic lenses, shot handheld, at moving target.

Good glass, shot properly with long glass technique, with good micro adjusted AF, can yield good images, like shooting aquatic wildlife from a moving boat, which can be challenging.

Your shutter speed of 1/640th is too slow for your moving subject with handheld non-IS glass, in my opinion. I would try to shoot no longer than 1/1000 th in that situation, unless I hade a gimbal mounted tripod.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin