Options

Matting and hanging

pmccurdypmccurdy Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited October 26, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
Can anyone give me pointers to good sources on learning about matting, framing, and other topics related to the presentation of prints?

You wouldn't fall far from the truth to assume my starting point in this topic is complete ignorance.

Thanks,

Patrick

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2005
    pmccurdy wrote:
    Can anyone give me pointers to good sources on learning about matting, framing, and other topics related to the presentation of prints?

You wouldn't fall far from the truth to assume my starting point in this topic is complete ignorance.

Thanks,

Patrick

it's an artform in itself
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    I have this series of books... sadly, I have not yet found time to really read them so I can't really recommend them. However, I can say that they look like they're really well done and have lots of info.

Library of Professional Picture Framing

Look for them on Amazon or Google. Unfortunately I can't get to them right now or I'd provide the publisher's url.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,181 moderator
    Here's a short tutorial on selecting a matte color based on the colors in the photo...

http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/alaia/354/tutorials/matting/

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Here's a short tutorial on selecting a matte color based on the colors in the photo...

Hey david.. great link.. thanks clap.gif
  • Options
    pmccurdypmccurdy Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    Cool
    David_S85 wrote:

Excellent. That's a great start.

Thanks, David.

Patrick
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    saved to my favorites, thanks, David,

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    fdifdi Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    [font=&quot]Since I own a picture frame company catering to photographers, I gets lots of questions about this stuff so I have created a webpage to gather and display picture framing information. Right now it is mostly about picture mounting, with some info about acrylic choices and gallery style picture frames. I will add more framing info as time goes on. Feel free to email me or my company with any questions. I always enjoy talking to other photographers.

Cheers,

[/font]
    Picture Frames Destination, Inc.
    Facebook
    My Picture Framing Blog
    Rebel T2i, 100mm/2.8, 28-105mm
    100-300mm, 17-35mm
  • Options
    Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2005
    I found a lot of help at the local art club and library.

B
    pmccurdy wrote:

Thanks,

Patrick
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2005
    Hello,

That tip by Mark about getting the paper off of the acrylic was worh its weight in gold!

I have a Logan 655 matte cutter. Very happy with it, although the largest border it can do is about 5 inches. Cutting my own mattes quickly paid for the matte cutter. Took an afternoon to learn - not that big of a deal.

I've been very happy with www.americanframe.com for framing supplies. For most of my shows I use a simple black or charcoal frame. These are simple and don't detract from the image. Problem is that they usually look better in galleries than people's homes (don't match the furniture, paint, etc), and so I usually go to some lengths to make sure folks undertstand that the pic can be matted / framed any way they would like it.

That all being said, I've not seen many "do it yourself" frames which look as good as one done professionally. These are more expensive, but as Andy said this is an art unto itself, and there are people out there who do it really well.

When folks re-sell their matte cutters they always get a good % of their money back, so it's not a great risk to try. www.lightimpressions.com frequently has "free shipping" specials, so that would be a good time to order one.

Great links above.