5357241345_774aa8a2a5_b.jpg
Corrosion by edan, on Flickr

Comments

• billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    edan wrote: »
    Kindly critique these:

Number 1:
    I think this is the weakest of the three. There is really no part of the image that is in sharp focus and the deep blue arches are so distinct in color that they immediately draw the viewer's attention.

Number 2:
    On the other hand, this photo is really striking, maybe even mysterious. I think this is a very stong image. There's a clear sharp point of focus in exactly the right spot. The colors lead to some ambiguity for me (a good thing here) in that it's not immediately clear what we're looking at. Is the wall covered in paint? ... stucco? ...moss? Is the music the top layer or the bottom or in between. And finally... what in the world is the story behind why there's music there in the first place. clap.gif

Number 3:
    In this one there's a sharp focus on the left edge of the corrugated metal, but the whole right side (maybe 2/3's of it) is out of OOF and distracting. (Interestingly, the same portion of the frame is OOf in #2, but the bold color and intriguing subject make it work better). The bland color palette and washed out plywood don't really pull the view in like the one in the middle. It might do better with more saturation.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    edan wrote: »
    5357857210_52b946fe8f_b.jpg
    Snippet by edan, on Flickr

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! iloveyou.gif
    Canon Fan
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 17, 2011
    First of all, welcome to Dgrin wave.gif.

I think Bill nailed it. #2 is the winner. clap.gif
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    As everyone else has said, #2 is quite nice. I think it might have been improved by a tilt lens, which could have made the plane of focus follow the diagonal of the music paper on the wall, but I don't have one of those either. :)

With #1, the most distracting thing about it is the nasty, hard-edged quality of the bokeh. The three bright highlights on the blue arch on the left really jump out at the viewer, and the rest of the bokeh has a rather busy, textured quality for basically the same reason. This sort of shot needs a fast, high-quality lens with smooth bokeh. The EF 50mm f/1.8 II is not that lens, though at least shooting it wide open gave you round highlights instead of pentagons.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • edanedan Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 18, 2011
    Thanks to everyone for the input. I also think #2 is the strongest, though I felt like I missed it a little, but can't put my finger on why. BTW, it is a painted wall, and it looked like it might have been a flier of some kind announcing a musical performance or even music lessons, that had been left only mostly ripped off the wall.

About the Bokeh on #1 - yes, I agree it's not as smooth as I'd like it to be, but I don't have better glass (yet!). Is there any way to get better Bokeh with the "nifty fifty" or that's as good as I can expect it to get? I still kind of liked the colors and the happy feeling of the image, but I agree that technically it is flawed...

Again, thanks all!
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    #2 - it's my favourite bit of Handel!clap.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    #2 is stunning. Shooting #2 at that angle to get the curve of the peeled paper was a superb idea. I can't find a reason to study the other two very hard. #1 is closer to working than #3. Had you gotten closer to the center flower and brought it into sharp focus and just had the one blue thing oof behind it might have worked for me. Your lens did fine on #2, you should be able to make it work on the flowers.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    #2 is fantastic .. thumb.gif
  • DanspageDanspage Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    I love #2.

Just a note/idea If you can try to compose the photos like this as
    landscape and portrait for Stock.You might just make a sell --

http://www.photographersdirect.com/

No bull
    Daniel
    http://danspage.smugmug.com/
    Scratch Nikon I switched to
    Canon 5d mark II
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    WernerG wrote: »
    Your lens did fine on #2, you should be able to make it work on the flowers.

There are no specular highlights in #2, and the level of contrast and color variation in the OOF areas is fairly low.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.