Options

Senior Portraits.. When?

DmanningDmanning Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited February 4, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
When I was in high school I never heard of senior portraiture, so I'm kind of clueless on the timing. So are guys doing senior portraiture now for those graduating in 2011? Do you prefer to do it closer to graduation or closer to the beginning of their senior year. Does it even make a difference to the parents/kids in your experience?

Comments

• Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Depends on where you are located. I start doing them in the late spring here, once the snow has stopped. The first thing to do is figure out the headshot due dates for the yearbook at your local school(s). You will get a huge rush the week or two before that date.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    NostalgicDadNostalgicDad Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Yeah, it's definitely different everywhere. I've already done a senior shoot back in November for this year. Most I have done come during the spring though but I do know of it being a bit popular around here to also do it at the beginning of the school year. I also did some headshots back in September since the yearbook due date was some time in November at at least one of the high schools here. Some parents want them before the holidays but I believe most commonly during the spring.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Yeah, it's definitely different everywhere. I've already done a senior shoot back in November for this year. Most I have done come during the spring though but I do know of it being a bit popular around here to also do it at the beginning of the school year. I also did some headshots back in September since the yearbook due date was some time in November at at least one of the high schools here. Some parents want them before the holidays but I believe most commonly during the spring.

Same here. They were all shot in the fall for the 2011 grad class.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    DmanningDmanning Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. That helps a lot.
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    I am looking at the 2012 class now, seems like a good time to get some senior reps for next year before they go ahead and get them done by the usual studios in town.

I found one that might be worth approaching to see if they are interested in being a rep, they have 2000+ friends, hundreds of pictures, seems to be involved in school, only problem is she seems a bit wild by what is discussed on the wall.

Are there certain personalities that should be avoided when looking for a senior rep? She seems to be a party-er (sp?), but if shes popular and can get the referrals...
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    I'm a yearbook advisor as well as a photog (but don't do seniors because I don't want to even go there with the two roles), so I suppose I can give you feedback from both sides here in the Northeast. The kids who have senior pics done, at least here in Maine, get them done the summer before their senior year. So, the market for the 2011 grads around here is just about shot at this point. Yearbook photos for my kids are due in October, so they have to have their session before then in order to have them included in the book. And, for our kids, it's the yearbook photo that matters to them. They don't tend to look at it beyond that hence the timeline.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User