A recent Session - Baby

Jason HermannJason Hermann Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
edited March 1, 2011 in People
Cutie for sure :)

MG_3930-Edit.jpg

MG_3990-Edit.jpg

MG_3979-Edit.jpg

The Customer requested a Porcelain Doll look, so I tried?
MG_3889-Edit.jpg

Best,
Jay

Comments

• JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    Cute baby! Love the pictures. I have people that still want to do the selective color stuff. Yours is very soft and nice. Very subtle. :)
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    Really like that 2nd one. :D
  • girardimagesgirardimages Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    So cute! I am about to do my first baby portrait and would love any tips or tricks from you guys. I'm primarily curious how much editing was done after the photo (aside form the last one which was definitely color adjusted), or if the softness and all is just good lighting setup.
    Thanks,

J.Girard
    www.girardimages.com

• VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    Brilliant!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Jason HermannJason Hermann Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    Cute baby! Love the pictures. I have people that still want to do the selective color stuff. Yours is very soft and nice. Very subtle. :)

Really like that 2nd one. :D

Thanks Darren ;)
    So cute! I am about to do my first baby portrait and would love any tips or tricks from you guys. I'm primarily curious how much editing was done after the photo (aside form the last one which was definitely color adjusted), or if the softness and all is just good lighting setup.

Well good luck and have FUN! Most important imo otherwise the images will show it. Better off relaxing and taking your time. Be super patient with the baby/ family as it could potential take a few hours. Michele and I have a newborn so we know all to well on a 1st hand bases. Plus every child and family is different and you will need to adapt as needed we've learned. Overall though, babies are pretty easy! There happy little humans :)

As far as Lighting goes, It's very important! Our style is to get a nice soft velvet type look over the skin. The easiest way to do that is with 1 large light and a reflector. Check out this video I made showing our "On Location Set-up".

http://www.jhpvideotutorials.com/?p=300

You can light it it many different ways, but soft lighting seems to work the best for babies in our experience.

Editing wise, we go pretty far with the skin smoothing. Parents prefer the perfect skin around us. We have never had a customer complain about there skin looking to good. That being said, I personally prefer the skin done a tad less smooth. I'll post some images of our baby Layla and you'll see what I mean. I also like to brighten the eyes a bit and sharpen them.

Best,
    Jay

VayCayMom wrote: »
    Brilliant!!

Jay
  • coolcincoolcin Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    I just love this video, so helpful. What size soft box is that?

Thanks!
    edited January 18, 2011
    coolcin wrote: »
    I just love this video, so helpful. What size soft box is that?

Thanks!

Thanks :) It's a 30 x 60 Giant Foldable Softbox. We love it!

http://alienbees.com/foldable_detail.html

Best,
    Jay
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Very, very cute. Great job.
  • amoncuramoncur Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Really beautiful lighting. Nicely done!

Not a huge fan of the selective color processing - I think it's been over done and looks cliche these days.
  • cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    I didn't see the last photo as selective coloring, but more of a desaturated look....more vintage looking than anything....I think the customer is going to be very happy with these results.
    Love the soft light and sharp eyes. Saved your tut to my favorites to watch later.
    edited January 18, 2011
    Thanks :) It's a 30 x 60 Giant Foldable Softbox. We love it!

http://alienbees.com/foldable_detail.html

Best,
    Jay

Thanks. One more question...can I use my PockWizards to trigger the Alien Bee 800 unit?

Would the The 13-foot Heavy Duty Light Stand be okay to hold everything?

Thanks!

If the Pockwizards won't work is this what I would need since I already have a CyberSync Transmitter?
    CSRB+ CyberSync™ Receiver Plus - Battery Powered
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Your light stand should do it and the PC Wizzard will fire the Bee. You will need a 1/8 inch phono plug on each end of a cord. I would buy them from pocket wizzard. I had gotten a few from Radio Shack and the earlier ones worked but the newer ones would not.
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    What a precious baby! My fave is #2! Parents will love these, great job!
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Very very cute. Love all images. Not sure about the selective coloring.
    edited January 24, 2011
    Thanks for the comments everybody :)

Oh yeah the Wizzards will fire the Bees, but depending on how many triggers and receivers you have, you may want to looking into the Alien Bee stuff. I know 1 pocket wizard is a lot of cash.

Best,
    Jay
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Beautiful!
    edited January 25, 2011
    Thanks for the comments everybody :)

Oh yeah the Wizzards will fire the Bees, but depending on how many triggers and receivers you have, you may want to looking into the Alien Bee stuff. I know 1 pocket wizard is a lot of cash ;)

Best,
    Jay

Thanks Jay! I went ahead and got what you suggested in your video. I can not wait to try the set-up out.

What backdrop are you using in the video? What about white? What do you suggest to use for that. I had ordered an inexpensive set-up with white, black and green but they are more like thin sheets. The stands will come in handy though. I did buy a fleece black blanket that I'm going to try.

I will be photographing babies mostly indorrs.

I'll let you know how my 1st session goes on Thursday! thumb.gif
    edited February 17, 2011
    coolcin wrote: »
    Thanks Jay! I went ahead and got what you suggested in your video. I can not wait to try the set-up out.

What backdrop are you using in the video? What about white? What do you suggest to use for that. I had ordered an inexpensive set-up with white, black and green but they are more like thin sheets. The stands will come in handy though. I did buy a fleece black blanket that I'm going to try.

I will be photographing babies mostly indorrs.

I'll let you know how my 1st session goes on Thursday! thumb.gif

Sorry for the delayed reply. Were using a Black felt cloth material we picked up at the local fabric store. Joannes Fabric by us.

Sounds like you have a handle on it.

Best,
    Jay
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2011

I use all-natural light on my babies, large windows are my best friend. Wide open aperture allows for really shallow DOF, perfect for all those fingers and toes.

Be patient, be prepared for props to get soiled (babies poop and pee a LOT) and yes, expect it to take alllll day. Even my best session took three hours.

I have an action I run that is two actions tweaked and blended together. I do all of the skin smoothing/blemish removing then run the actions that make the color *just* right. I get the baby looking photogenic (not all babies do) and then run the action, it gives me a b/w copy, a color copy and 300DPI ready for printing house.

A thread started a few months ago about how to do babies, it offered great ideas and more details than what's listed here.
    edited February 25, 2011
    I use all-natural light on my babies, large windows are my best friend. Wide open aperture allows for really shallow DOF, perfect for all those fingers and toes.

Be patient, be prepared for props to get soiled (babies poop and pee a LOT) and yes, expect it to take alllll day. Even my best session took three hours.

I have an action I run that is two actions tweaked and blended together. I do all of the skin smoothing/blemish removing then run the actions that make the color *just* right. I get the baby looking photogenic (not all babies do) and then run the action, it gives me a b/w copy, a color copy and 300DPI ready for printing house.

A thread started a few months ago about how to do babies, it offered great ideas and more details than what's listed here.

Great Advice and very accurate on the time Babies are tuff and the sessions will take for ever at times.

There is nothing better than natural light!! If you have a huge window available and the shutter speeds to work with I Highly recommend using natural light.

Wide open is tuff with babies, especially on a full frame camera, but at the perfect angle it looks great. We usually shoot at least f/4 or 5.6 to get the nice sharp dof the customers seem to like best for close-ups. Full frame baby shots f/2.0 and natural light is the snakes hips ;)

If there is no natural light, the next beast thing is a huge softbox that is in the shape of a large window. It's not as good, but it does a great job!

Best,
    Jay
  • tatetate Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2011

Where have you gotten your actions? I have PSE9 and have purchased some actions from MCP actions. I also had found some free actions that I uploaded into my PSE. I just cant get that "just" right color. Would you be able to look at my photo and tell me what I might need to do? Or point me in the correct direction as to what you do? I dont have a problem with babies...its the newborns that I cant seem to get perfect! Thanks! Christy
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    tate wrote: »
    Where have you gotten your actions? I have PSE9 and have purchased some actions from MCP actions. I also had found some free actions that I uploaded into my PSE. I just cant get that "just" right color. Would you be able to look at my photo and tell me what I might need to do? Or point me in the correct direction as to what you do? I dont have a problem with babies...its the newborns that I cant seem to get perfect! Thanks! Christy

I played around in Lightroom. I reduced the yellow and played with brightness, contrast and shadows for this one (the most natural of the three):

1198687833_u4rAj-O.jpg

1198687869_kSXUa-O.jpg
    MCP LR Preset "Brightside" and reduced brightness by 40% or so

1198687901_hY2FE-O.jpg

I ran "Golden Age" from the MCP LR Presets on the last one.
    edited February 25, 2011
    My sessions are never more than an hour or two (at max). I feel like I get the shots early (but my style is far more PJ-esque than these) and know when I'm just scatting and jivving to fill time.
    edited February 25, 2011
    Thanks! Yes the first one is the best that you edited. Attached is the original picture ,so we have come a long way, but maybe its just not a "good" picture to work with to start with...this was a pic I took of my baby before I got serious with photography...like I said I can take nice photos of babies and older children, but infant skin have a lot of trouble with! Do you like lightroom over photoshop?
    edited February 25, 2011
    I do about 90% of my editing in LR. The 10% I do in PS is essential, though. I don't process the heck out of my pics, but I do nearly all of my b/w conversions in PS and, of course, any major editing like cloning out unwanted things.

Are you shooting in auto white balance? Have you ever played with your white balance? I think that might be part of your issue.
  • blondineblondine Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2011
    loving #2 and #3....gorgeous little one.
    edited February 28, 2011
    indiegirl wrote: »
    I do about 90% of my editing in LR. The 10% I do in PS is essential, though. I don't process the heck out of my pics, but I do nearly all of my b/w conversions in PS and, of course, any major editing like cloning out unwanted things.

Are you shooting in auto white balance? Have you ever played with your white balance? I think that might be part of your issue.

Yes I have never adjusted my white balance! Hummm maybe that is something I should do? Do you shoot in Raw or Jpeg? Usually I am in jpeg
    edited March 1, 2011
    tate wrote: »
    Yes I have never adjusted my white balance! Hummm maybe that is something I should do? Do you shoot in Raw or Jpeg? Usually I am in jpeg

White balance is 1 of the most important settings you can make when shooting people/ babies imo. I used to never use custom white balance and then I would try and adjust everything in post processing. Lightroom, PS whatever..

Then I learned how to use Custom White Balance, and never went back!! Skin tones come out perfect off the camera every time.

Check this Custom WB Tutorial out. I have a new version of this tutorial already recorded, but I still need to edit it/ render it, so pardon the poor quality!!

http://www.jhpvideotutorials.com/278/using-custom-white-balance/

Best,
    Jay