grand canyon

kahluakahlua Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited January 18, 2011 in Landscapes
I am heading to Vegas in two week's time and will have the fab opportunity to have a chopper at my disposal for four hours at sunrise (or sunset) to see the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam, etc. I am wondering what is the best gear to use (I have Canon bodies and lenses), where is best to shoot, and is sunrise or sunset best here? Is there a special lens I need to avoid shake from the vibrations? Any help is appreciated! I am so looking forward to taking pictures, but I want to make sure they will be decent...

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 17, 2011
    In order to achieve the very best photographic experience from your trip, you should take a guide with you that has extensive experience and knowledge photographing the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon. I would like to offer my services for this, free of charge. deal.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    I would support Kdog's information and advise that multiple spotters would increase the ability to get amazing shots. I am also available and would offer my services free of charge as well. :D

Sounds like an amazing opportunity.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    I would jump on kdog's offer and add a parachute to your equipment list.

Sam
  • kahluakahlua Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 18, 2011
    Thanks guys for the advice, and offers as guides!! Not so sure the guy flying chopper would be so grateful! I will be in touch should I decide to take up any of the offers : )
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    FWIW, shooting from a helicopter can be challenging. I did it once flying to a couple of glaciers during an Alaska cruise. In a small cockpit, long lenses will probably be a hinderance from both movement and vibration standpoints. I would recommend a fast lens (2.8 or faster) to allow for higher shutter speeds and lower ISO's. You'll probably be focusing at infinity or close it anyway. Consider cropping from high-rez images for your "zoom" shots. A short zoom lens might be handy.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com