Out Of My Element C&C Welcomed.

b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited January 18, 2011 in People
I wanted to try shooting in RAW format this past weekend. To top it off, I wanted to try and shoot B&W. I did a little PP in Photoshop once I got it from .ORF to JPG. I was disappointed that Photoshop could not open ORF file. I even tried to install the plugin from the Olympus Site. So I ended up downloading Picasa to view and edit in RAW. C & C Welcomed.

1160656230_iRNmb-XL.jpg
Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    I don't see any sign of you being out of your element, this is a fine high quality image and excellent b&w.

I am currently using Bibble5Pro5.2RC as my raw converter and basic editing software. I am seriously impressed with it and consider it to be ahead of the game in usability, quality of output and price. I enthusiastically recommend trying it. It supports conversion from orf to tiff 8 or 16 bit, and from there obviously you can take your work where you like. Please only trial the 5.2RC version, not earlier versions.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Did you try using the Olympus RAW program? It gives better color than ACR but it's primitive. Just use it to convert your image to tiff and make sure it is 16 bit. Then when you open it in PS you can do all the adjustments you want. After you get the main adjustments out of the way go to Image>Mode and pick 8 bit if you find the file size is too big. In any case if you save it as a psd it will be smaller than a tiff. I use an old Olympus converter that allows you to import right into PS but I don't think it supports the newer cameras. I downloaded it a few years ago on the Olympus site. Maybe someone on the forum at dpreview can help you find something for your model camera.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Did you try using the Olympus RAW program? It gives better color than ACR but it's primitive. Just use it to convert your image to tiff and make sure it is 16 bit. Then when you open it in PS you can do all the adjustments you want. After you get the main adjustments out of the way go to Image>Mode and pick 8 bit if you find the file size is too big. In any case if you save it as a psd it will be smaller than a tiff. I use an old Olympus converter that allows you to import right into PS but I don't think it supports the newer cameras. I downloaded it a few years ago on the Olympus site. Maybe someone on the forum at dpreview can help you find something for your model camera.

Thanks for the words of confidence. I went with Picasa because it is free. Free is for me in this economy right now.
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011

Never tried converting to tiff before. I will give that a shot as well. The olympus conveter I get fustrated with.