Options

A good camera strap?

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    I'm not crazy about fastening to the tripod hole for lots of reasons (mainly the way would hold the camera while hanging, which for me seems a conterintuitive position), so although the BR straps have such a great rep and look fantastic (love the extra pockets!) I decided not to go that route. I really like the look/construction of the Lumaloop and have been eyeing one for a while, but A they seem permanently out of stock B they're still pretty expensive.

I've decided to try an Optech Pro Loop w/Sling Adapter for when I'm carrying two cameras (I usually carry one round my neck and one across my body). I also ordered a 2nd Pro from their "sidewalk sale" section - seems that those items are minor seconds and since I'm sure after I've used it for a while it will have some snags and divets, for the very reasonable price (it's less than 50% off), I figured it was worth a try. Since the Sling adapter comes with two loop attachments, that will give me two loop setups so I can just swap the sling between cameras as needed. Grand total including shipping was $50, so it's a certainly a more affordable option than some of the others. I just ordered today - I'll be very interested to see just how much cosmetic damage it takes to put one of these into the "outlet"!
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    ...I really like the look/construction of the Lumaloop and have been eyeing one for a while, but A they seem permanently out of stock...

For people who are interested in the in-stock status of Luma products, you can sign up for their mailing list-they emailed me when they had the stuff in stock that I wanted.

http://www.lu.ma/mailing_list

They also have a support page (they do support via email, like SM):

http://www.lu.ma/support

Hope that helps for folks who are trying to get their hands on one!thumb.gif
  • Options
    studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    I recently bought a "Black Quick Rapid" double strap which is basically a copy of the Black Rapid 2 camera strap:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220692717274&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_4555wt_1141

Very impressed with the quality and the cost was about 1/4 of the Black Rapid. Also the camera attachment is better in that you can still have a tripod plate attached as well. I might do a blog post about it if people are interested.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2011
    For people who are interested in the in-stock status of Luma products, you can sign up for their mailing list-they emailed me when they had the stuff in stock that I wanted.

http://www.lu.ma/mailing_list

They also have a support page (they do support via email, like SM):

http://www.lu.ma/support

Hope that helps for folks who are trying to get their hands on one!thumb.gif

Yeah, I considered that, but the basic price difference plus the heavily discounted items kind of prodded me into trying the Optech line. For under $50 I'll be getting two compatible straps+sling adapter which works with both. If I don't like the system I'll send it back and sign up for the Luma mailing list thumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Yeah, I considered that, but the basic price difference plus the heavily discounted items kind of prodded me into trying the Optech line. For under $50 I'll be getting two compatible straps+sling adapter which works with both. If I don't like the system I'll send it back and sign up for the Luma mailing list thumb.gif

let us know how they work for you...I have been eying these also...the OPTECH that is....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 27, 2011
    Wilco! thumb.gif
  • Options
    jepley929jepley929 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 27, 2011
    Black Rapid RS-7! You can't go wrong. Very, very comfortable!

Check it out here http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    So, was looking at some reviews on the BR and Carryspeed yesterday night, just to make sure I made the right choice.

I came across these reviewer:
    BR review
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEmMycMutEA&feature=related

Carryspeed review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfIPKidgDXg

What caught my eye on these. Noticed the difference in enthusiasm, it's obvious, and hilarious. rolleyes1.gif

I get paid this weekend, and should receive the Carryspeed. Maybe I will run to my local camera store and pick up the BR as well, and do a comparison.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Ragon wrote: »
    I use OP/Tech and they are great!! And don't cost much at all on Amazon.

+1 on the Op/Tech, it sticks to your shoulder like nothing else.

But i rarely use a shoulder strap any longer, I prefer the gordy's wrist strap:

http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/gallery/index.htm

yes it works fantastic on my 40D
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2011
    A+ on the Optech Pro Loop. VERY comfortable (I could immediately feel the difference in balance and it lives up to their claims of feeling lighter), and the materials are topnotch. The small marks on the underside of the neoprene - which relegated it to their less-than-half-price "seconds" - are barely noticeable.

I'll need to get one more set of connector extenders to make it 100% universal with both of my camera bodies (so I can go round-neck or sling without changing anything except the neck piece) - this would be a bit of a nuisance if I needed that immediately, but since I don't double-sling that often it's not a huge concern, and I can just get the extra connectors if/when I ever do need to sling both bodies.

It's not as cool-kids as the Luma, Crumpler or BR, but it's a good product that will do the job very nicely and is notably less costly (and possibly more flexible given that you're buying into a system rather than a single product). I definitely prefer connecting to the lug-mounts rather than to the tripod hole, so this works well for me thumb.gif

ETA: Fast shipping, too.
  • Options
    oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Hi all
    Does anyone here know where i can get my camera strap personalised with my name on it?

Regards
    Patrick:D
  • Options
    dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Hi all
    Does anyone here know where i can get my camera strap personalised with my name on it?

Regards
    Patrick:D

Maybe just go to a tailoring shop? :D

I'm still looking for a camera strap... I need a comfy and not so big one so it can fit in my bag.. Budget will be about 100$. Anyone have ideas? headscratch.gif
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
  • Options
    m a r km a r k Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2011
    studio1972 wrote: »
    I recently bought a "Black Quick Rapid" double strap which is basically a copy of the Black Rapid 2 camera strap:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220692717274&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_4555wt_1141

Very impressed with the quality and the cost was about 1/4 of the Black Rapid. Also the camera attachment is better in that you can still have a tripod plate attached as well. I might do a blog post about it if people are interested.

Wow

That really is a blatant rip off of the Black Rapid product isn't it?

Looking at how nervous I was when I first got my RS7 at hanging a lot of monies worth of kit off it, I would be even more reluctant to hang the same kit off a cheap Chinese knock off.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2011
    dantambok wrote: »
    Maybe just go to a tailoring shop? :D

I'm still looking for a camera strap... I need a comfy and not so big one so it can fit in my bag.. Budget will be about 100$. Anyone have ideas? headscratch.gif

Thanks Diva and all that recommended the OP Techs...............
    I went with an OP tech Dual harness....it works great with one or 2 cams and even my Sigma 50-500 ......here is link to what I use now: http://tinyurl.com/4cy26vk works well for me... it is well balanced even with just one camera.......I like the fact also that it does not affect my use of my already attached tripod quick releases cause it attaches to the strap lugs and not the bottom of the camera....straps are not in the way when shooting
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    I am a Black Rapid RS-5 owner. I doubt I will ever use anything else besides Black Rapids.

I have had a Black Rapids strap for 4 years now and I had one little issue and they were all over it. The President of the company handled my call. the absolute best customer service I have ever had with a camera accessories company.

Great strap.

MD
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Options
    ShulvyShulvy Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    I've been strapless for a year and I can't see myself going back to straps, at least not on a regular basis. The Spider Holster has been GREAT for me.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2011
    Shulvy wrote: »
    I've been strapless for a year and I can't see myself going back to straps, at least not on a regular basis. The Spider Holster has been GREAT for me.

I looked those over closely...but...I do a lot of shooting in places where a bump out of hand or a drop of camera could end the camera life..I like the little bit of security I get knowing of someone bumps camera out of my hand it has a life line attached.....I nearly lost a cam looking into the Moravian Karst when a child bumped the camera from underneath if It had not been for the strap it would be some 900 feet below that edge railing..........

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    MDalby wrote: »
    I am a Black Rapid RS-5 owner. I doubt I will ever use anything else besides Black Rapids.

I have had a Black Rapids strap for 4 years now and I had one little issue and they were all over it. The President of the company handled my call. the absolute best customer service I have ever had with a camera accessories company.

Great strap.

MD

I just got the new RS-Sport model...even more comfortable. (you do lose the memory card pocket though and it's for righties only)
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2011
    I don't see what is different between the RS-Sport and the RS-7. I looks like an RS-7 plus a BRAD. Is that the case?
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    I just got the new RS-Sport model...even more comfortable. (you do lose the memory card pocket though and it's for righties only)
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    I don't see what is different between the RS-Sport and the RS-7. I looks like an RS-7 plus a BRAD. Is that the case?

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/#

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-sport/#

Their product images leave something to be desired! I have the rs4...so there was an even bigger difference. Forget about the Brad part....the pad is much more comfy for me...not that there was much wrong with the rs4.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2011
    m a r k wrote: »
    Wow

That really is a blatant rip off of the Black Rapid product isn't it?

Looking at how nervous I was when I first got my RS7 at hanging a lot of monies worth of kit off it, I would be even more reluctant to hang the same kit off a cheap Chinese knock off.

Yes, it is a rip off, if you have a moral problem with that, fair enough.

If you're just worried about the quality, don't. I've used it at several weddings now, and it's really solid. It has all the same features as the BR, but the attachment to the camera is better IMO, and the fabrics etc are all heavy duty. The BR straps are very expensive for what they are, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're made in China as well, most things are these days.
  • Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »

That is correct. I have both the RS Sport and the RS7 w/ Brad mod. The RS Sport is MUCH nicer though and has a bigger more ergonomic shoulder pad. It is more curved and shaped better. Just a nicer strap overall. I bought the BRAD for my RS7 but never use it. I even took the "Brad" off of my Sport strap. I know that defeats the purpose of the Sport strap but I can always reattach it if need to.

My only gripe with Black Rapid straps is that they are too expensive for what they are and they are NOT made in America. I understand it's a global economy but American companies who outsource are a big problem for America and I personally don't like it. But whatever. The least BR can do is lower their prices since they save by outsourcing. I can't complain too much though because they sent me my RS Sport strap for free! They are a good company and I do recommend them any chance I get.

PS I have a never used Optech strap if anyone want to trade me something for it. I have the detachable loops as well.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2011
    Yes, it is a rip off, if you have a moral problem with that, fair enough.

If you're just worried about the quality, don't. I've used it at several weddings now, and it's really solid. It has all the same features as the BR, but the attachment to the camera is better IMO, and the fabrics etc are all heavy duty. The BR straps are very expensive for what they are, and I wouldn't be surprised if they're made in China as well, most things are these days.

It's definitely an outright rip off. It's what the Chinese do though. They steal designs all the time and get away with it. I personally don't think it's very cool to support something like that but it's just my opinion. I'm sure everyone appreciates YOU being the tester for the chinese straps first though. mwink.gif They haven't been around long and are NOT proven yet. I'd rather have piece of mind with a tried and true strap. Camera's aren't cheap to replace IF something goes wrong and it's an awfully big IF!
  • Options
    OH6 G35OH6 G35 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 25, 2011
    My Luma Loop is soooo comfortable! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    It's definitely an outright rip off. It's what the Chinese do though. They steal designs all the time and get away with it. I personally don't think it's very cool to support something like that but it's just my opinion. I'm sure everyone appreciates YOU being the tester for the chinese straps first though. mwink.gif They haven't been around long and are NOT proven yet. I'd rather have piece of mind with a tried and true strap. Camera's aren't cheap to replace IF something goes wrong and it's an awfully big IF!

Well, the DR1 costs over 92gbp on amazon, while the QR strap costs 25gbp, so for me it was worth trying it out. I'm more than happy having used it quite a bit now, and I've compared it to the BR equivalent, which is of no higher quality from what I can see. I guess the extra money goes on marketing and a nice profit for the people who own the company, so if that makes you feel cool, good for you.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2011
    Well, the DR1 costs over 92gbp on amazon, while the QR strap costs 25gbp, so for me it was worth trying it out. I'm more than happy having used it quite a bit now, and I've compared it to the BR equivalent, which is of no higher quality from what I can see. I guess the extra money goes on marketing and a nice profit for the people who own the company, so if that makes you feel cool, good for you.

Makes me feel cool? Because I prefer piece of mind that comes with a high quality proven strap? I'll tell you what isn't cool. Being cheap and risking your expensive camera on a unproven chinese replica that was made by a company that unethically steals designs... all the way down to the labeling. Just so you can save a few bucks? Some things are worth paying for and piece of mind is one of them. I don't have to worry at all about my strap coming apart.... but you do. I'd keep a close eye on it at all times if I were you. Maybe even rig up a secondary safety strap. It's going to cost more than what you saved on your strap to repair your camera if/when it hits the ground. Hopefully that won't happen but why even risk it for a few bucks? If the cool thing to do is support a legitimate company that does their own R&D, doesn't steal from others, and builds safe and proven straps, then I guess I'm cool... or maybe just being smart with my gear. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2011
    odd, very few mentions that there is a company here who RESEARCHED and DEVELOPED the original strap and improvements and put time and LOTS of money into it ....

and you'd prefer to buy the ripp'd CDs and bootlegged video games too, huh? sure. kick the people who work hard, reward the people who are thieves (because YES they steal ideas because copyright/etc enforcement in China is nearly impossible).

Guess we all have our own moral code. Or lack thereof.
    //Leah
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    catspaw wrote: »
    odd, very few mentions that there is a company here who RESEARCHED and DEVELOPED the original strap and improvements and put time and LOTS of money into it ....

and you'd prefer to buy the ripp'd CDs and bootlegged video games too, huh? sure. kick the people who work hard, reward the people who are thieves (because YES they steal ideas because copyright/etc enforcement in China is nearly impossible).

This is quite pathetic! So I have no morals because I buy an off-brand camera strap? I think you really need to drink some different coffee.

Why is this any different to buying a non-branded camera battery, or any other accessory? Do you hate people who do that as well? You must hate a lot of people.

Maybe I'm not the only person who thinks that paying over 90gbp for a camera strap is a bit much? So maybe I've helped a few people by giving them an alternative and letting them know that it's ok.

If you're not interested, or have enough money not to be bothered, that's fine, but there's no need for such an attitude.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2011
    This is quite pathetic! So I have no morals because I buy an off-brand camera strap?

A moral code is just that....

I think everyone should take to heart the message, which I happen to agree with.

The erosion of the manufacturing base is killing our two countries and should be paid attention to. Being blind to it increases the problem....intentional or not.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited March 28, 2011
    Please folks get back to the business of camera strap recommendations and not attacking individuals. If you need to make a point do not attack an individual or the offending post will be deleted. That's a rule at the Digital Grin that I do uphold.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums