Cold and windy coast

bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
edited January 21, 2011 in Landscapes
I took this shot over the weekend, right after my 40D kissed a rock and crunched the LCD. The temp was in the mid 20's and the wind had to be gusting at 25-30mph. A gust caught my tripod and dumped it. Luckily for me, it's repairable. Anyway, the shot...

5358971390_fb3513c682_b.jpg

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Bryan-
    Really nice shot! Love the light and composition. Conveys the cold, harsh conditions very well.
    Sorry to hear about the camera...glad it is repairable!
    E
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Ouch! I don't know which hurts more: thinking about the camera hitting a rock or the frostbite I get looking at this pic. :)
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Well done, Bryan!clap.gif If I were to offer a crit, I would prefer a little more colour intensity in the pebbles of the foreground and a little less heaviness in the outer areas of sky both sides.

Maybe get a sandbag for the tripod!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Bryan-
    Really nice shot! Love the light and composition. Conveys the cold, harsh conditions very well.
    Sorry to hear about the camera...glad it is repairable!
    E
    Thanks, I'm glad it's repairable too. Hopefully I don't botch up the screen replacement!
    schmoo wrote: »
    Ouch! I don't know which hurts more: thinking about the camera hitting a rock or the frostbite I get looking at this pic. :)
    The sound of the camera hitting the rock probably hurt more. :)
    NeilL wrote: »
    Well done, Bryan!clap.gif If I were to offer a crit, I would prefer a little more colour intensity in the pebbles of the foreground and a little less heaviness in the outer areas of sky both sides.

Maybe get a sandbag for the tripod!

Neil
    Thanks Neil. So bump saturation/vibrance/contrast in the foreground pebbles and brighten the edges of the sky? Let me have a look. And yes, maybe I should find the sand hammock that came with my tripod!rolleyes1.gif
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    That is a brilliant shot!! Too bad about the camera though. Windy mornings are the worst for your comfort too! Hope it doesn't cost too much to repair.
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Simply awesome image!

Only distraction is a small spot of red on the rock in the center of the image. Seems very out of place in this seen.

Sorry to hear about the damage but don't feel for you on the temps. I slept in sub 20's this past weekend on a shoot myself. :D
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 18, 2011
    Well done, Bryan! Colors look just about right to me. Awesome sky. thumb.gif

So did you crunch the actual LCD, or the protective glass?

Cheers,
    -joel
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 19, 2011
    Wow, frost and the ocean? There's something I don't get to see often. :D
    Beautiful photo. I love the contrast between the dark clouds and the bright foreground. Sorry about the camera, I can imagine that the sound of any sensitive photographic equipment hitting the ground is heart-stopping and soul-crushing. :)

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
    edited January 19, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I took some suggestions to heart and re-edited the shot to this:
    5369002896_a10eba8226_b.jpg

Joel, it was the actual LCD, the protective cover is fine. The corner of the body hit a rock and dented, cracking the LCD in the process. It looks really ugly when I turn it on. I also broke my cokin zpro holder, but luckily was able to fix that.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    It's a bit too much of a good thing for my complete liking, Bryan.mwink.gif I thought just a feather's touch more vibrancy in the pebbles, but no increase in contrast, and a paring of some denseness off the outer clouds...ne_nau.gif

The sea is great, plenty of strength while remaining translucent!

As I said, well done, attractive image.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    I liked the first one better. I think it is too much colors in the pebbles compared with the icy scenery. Just my opinion. But I think the first is beautiful!
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    nicely done. i like the edit a bit better than the original... sorry about your camera. i had a similar mishap with my 30D, and because of the cost to fix (Canon quoted me about $600), i just elected to replace it. there is an upside, though... i still have the 30D, and plan to send it back to Canon this spring as a trade-in on their "loyalty program", so i can pick up a 7D for $1100... ;)
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Bryan,

Too bad about the Canon. At least you got a really nice shot. Great foreground contrast and nice sky color. I think I like the first version better. The saturation is a little strong in #2.
  • canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Beautiful!
    edited January 21, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will likely reprocess this again somewhere between the two.
    I'll also be attempting to replace my LCD on my 40D tonight, wish me luck!