Concert Photography

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited January 19, 2011 in People
I was recently approached by an old High School buddy for me to shoot his band in concert. He is the base guitarist in a pretty successful Journey tribute band. He has seen my work and asked if I would first shoot them in concert and then do some group photos of them while in studio and then some location stuff. I'm nervous about this but I decided that this year, I was going to try to get myself out there and shoot stuff so I told him I would do it. He specifically wants me to do it because he'd like to have a fresh eye, someone that doesn't shoot concerts, in hopes he will get some fresh stuff.

So... any pointers anyone can give me? Am I crazy for doing this with no experience with this kind of gig?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    yeah your crazy but just do it anyway. What len's do you have?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Well... I have my 28-70mm and the 11-16mm, both f/2.8. I plan on renting something longer, maybe 70-200 f/2.8. I decided to keep my D300 body instead of selling it. That will give me two bodies so I don't have to switch lenses on the fly. He said I would have a all access pass so that will give me access to get close. I'm thinking I could use the 11-16 to get some shot of the crowd and stuff and then use the other two lenses to get closer shots. Of course, no flash but they're big on lighting effects so i should be ok there, especially with the D700.

BTW, I know it's crazy but 2011 is the "year of crazy" for me.

My Smug Site
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Sounds like fun...you had never done travel photography either :).
    D700 is almost noise free with bright exposures up to iso 3200. Use lenses that are sharp wide open like your 24-70.
    Remember to take bright exposures, if you need to raise the ISO then do. It creates less noise to raise the ISO than it does to have to increase the exposure later at a lesser ISO which caused you to get a dark exposure.

Smaller MM makes it easier to get sharp pics than longer MM. You don't need as much shutter speed.

Remember to use angles. Don't just stand straight on at eye level and take snaps...boring.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Hey Mike...

Thanks for chiming in here. Yeah... I think the D700 is going to pay dividends for this project. And I know what your saying about going for brighter exposures at high ISO. I learned that after a few days of shooting with the D700 in low light. BTW, this bad boy is A-MAZ-ING at high ISO's. I mean even 6400 is a walk in the park for this body. I'm still amazed. Really opens up a lot of opportunities that would have been missed with my D300, which isn't too shabby itself.

I agree that my main lens for this will be the 28-70. It should work nice on the FF body. I will have a photo pass so I will have access to get really close. I think I will slap the 70-200 on the D300 since my local place doesn't have the new VRII for rent and I hear it doesn't perform as well on the FF. Then I may use the 11-16 to get some cool shots with different perspectives... also for the crowd. Should work out pretty well the more I think about it. The gig is Feb 19th so just a month away. I talked to him today and we're meeting for lunch next week to talk details. He says he has a lot of contacts in the business and says he should be able to get me a lot of referrals, if that's what I want to do. I told him we first have to get through his gig and then he can tell me if he still feels the same way ;-)

I'm reading up on Concert Photography... what I can find on the net and also looking at photos. Nothing has really surprised me so far... as far as shooting an event like this goes. Any more info from anyone would really be appreciated.

My Smug Site
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Four important words of advice for you: Ear Plugs and Flashlight. As someone who has seen more than his share of concerts I have found that these are the best things to bring. The ear plugs will help you to stay focused (pun intended) on the task at hand and most of the time the stages are deafeningly loud with the monitor mixes. The flashlight is that you will need to make an adjustment on your camera at some point and you will need the light. If you really want to be ready get a headlight so you can do it hands free.

Also be wary of where the reflections from the cymbals will be coming in, so try to be aware of the beat of the song.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited January 18, 2011
    Four important words of advice for you: Ear Plugs and Flashlight. As someone who has seen more than his share of concerts I have found that these are the best things to bring. The ear plugs will help you to stay focused (pun intended) on the task at hand and most of the time the stages are deafeningly loud with the monitor mixes. The flashlight is that you will need to make an adjustment on your camera at some point and you will need the light. If you really want to be ready get a headlight so you can do it hands free.

Also be wary of where the reflections from the cymbals will be coming in, so try to be aware of the beat of the song.

HAHA... I read the ear plug thing on another site but never thought about the flash light. Great info. I have one of those headlamps so got that covered. Also didn't think of the cymbal reflections.

Anything else?

My Smug Site
    edited January 19, 2011
    The 70-200 will be better on the d700 you will want higher iso's with that lens.
    It works great on full frame....don't believe everything you read :).

I think 6400 grainy black and white wide angle shots and also tight shots would be great for band photos, get in tight and shoot the angles, up down from the side and behind. Try to include the instruments in the shots. Don't forget to get some shots from behind the band that show the crowd gettin crazy...some with the band in frame shooting from behind.
    Get some closeups with lights in the background...those kind of shots look cool.
    Just some ideas.......
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 19, 2011
    I second the ear plugs. Also, if you can, get on stage with the band and shoot some shots from behind. You can get some great shots from the band's point of view.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    that's gonna be awesome..earlplugs and a head lamp. get a hard hat just for kicks! hahaha
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited January 19, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    that's gonna be awesome..earlplugs and a head lamp. get a hard hat just for kicks! hahaha

Hey... maybe I take my tool belt and use it to hold my gear. I'll be a total chick magnet!

My Smug Site
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    I shoot bands quite often.
    First thing is DEFINITELY earl plugs.
    Then, I find that the 1/160-1/200 is the best shutter speed to capture the movement on the stage.
    I usually shoot wide open (2.8, 1.8)

35mm 1.8, 50mm. 1.8, 70-200mm 2.8, and 17-50mm 2.8 are the lenses that I usually use.
    I found that having two cameras is the best bet. The combo I shoot with is d700 and d300s..

Flashlight.. never had to use one.. Not sure what i'd need one for.. :P
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Alex, you have the tools you need already my friend.

Some pointers because I've done so much of this....

Ear plugs yes, I find myself standing in front of the speakers all the time, very loud!

Move around from left stage to right stage and get down low if you have the liberty to be up front stage.

Angles yes but don't fret if you cant get many sooc it can still be done easily in post.

I only used my 35-70 2.8 for all my front of stage stuff, I rented the 70-200VRII before and it's useless front of stage for anything less that a single person shot or extreme closeup, it simply does not go wide enough as even at 70MM I would have to be at least 25ft from the stage for a group shot.

Shoot manual, the lighting will wreak havoc in A mode and really mess with your shutter speeds.

And speaking of shutter speeds do some slow shutter speed stuff for cool effects. (I need to do more of that)

Meter off the hottest lights as a measure.

If you can go backstage for shots ..do it.

Have fun, be a part of the experience.

Here is my latest concert album for some ideas:

http://www.hipshotphoto.com/Concerts/Top-Off/14121011_w7u7p

My concern for having two bodies depends on how "involved" you get, if you're like me and like to get in with the crowd it can get brutal....
    When I shot Fishbone there was a moshpit and I got caught right in the middle of it. If I had two bodies strapped around my neck that would have been a disaster.
    It's hard enough just to take care of one piece of equipment in those circumstances.

I have a feeling you'll do a great job!
    Can't wait to see the images.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited January 19, 2011
    I rented the 70-200VRII before and it's useless front of stage for anything less that a single person shot or extreme closeup, it simply does not go w

100% correct.

true on the slow mo stuff, also.

although the gear shots are also scoring a lot of bonuses
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited January 19, 2011
    edited January 19, 2011
    Foques wrote: »
    100% correct.

true on the slow mo stuff, also.

although the gear shots are also scoring a lot of bonuses

I agree on the flashlight suggestion, not sure that would be practical in this environment.
    I try to carry as little as possible when I "go in"...

I suppose it could all be a much different experience if you are simply sitting in the audience but then that would drastically limit the dynamics...

Something I'm willing to sacrifice for a great shot possibly bodily or equipment damage...
    :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited January 19, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Just FYI, when I say angles I do not mean tilts :).

I thought twice about that. :D

Performers love the tilts though and to correct myself I meant tilts in post...angles ...you get what you get so yeah, move around for those.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited January 19, 2011
    Thanks all. More great info.

So I don't expect there to be a mosh pit unless people now moshing to Journey. headscratch.gif But I do get what your saying about being"mobile".

So about the need for a longer lens... you think I should be OK with 28-70 to get in tight like on the drummer from the front of the stage?

I already had in mind that I would be experimenting with angles, shutter, DOF and such but your suggestions are helpful. I think gear wise, I am set. I will bring my speedlight along just in case but I don't think I'll be using it. I think he already said no flash but I'd rather have it in my bag all night that to regret not bringing it along.

Thanks for the link Rey. I checked out your gallery and the photos reinforce a lot of what I have in my minds eye. I think this is going to be a lot of fun and my confidence is growing in that I will be able to come out with some good stuff.

My Smug Site
    edited January 19, 2011
    Thanks all. More great info.

So I don't expect there to be a mosh pit unless people now moshing to Journey. headscratch.gif But I do get what your saying about being"mobile".

So about the need for a longer lens... you think I should be OK with 28-70 to get in tight like on the drummer from the front of the stage?

I already had in mind that I would be experimenting with angles, shutter, DOF and such but your suggestions are helpful. I think gear wise, I am set. I will bring my speedlight along just in case but I don't think I'll be using it. I think he already said no flash but I'd rather have it in my bag all night that to regret not bringing it along.

Thanks for the link Rey. I checked out your gallery and the photos reinforce a lot of what I have in my minds eye. I think this is going to be a lot of fun and my confidence is growing in that I will be able to come out with some good stuff.

I don't think you'll have a problem with the 28-70 front of stage snagging the drummer. At 70MM I had to crop the image down a bit for the drummer.
    Can't wait to see what you do....
    And duh on me to miss that part about the Journey tribute band.:D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited January 19, 2011
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    I don't think you'll have a problem with the 28-70 front of stage snagging the drummer. At 70MM I had to crop the image down a bit for the drummer.
    Can't wait to see what you do....
    And duh on me to miss that part about the Journey tribute band.:D

Cool. That's saves me some cash on the rental. So I will have my D700 with the 28-70 and the D300 with the 11-16. That should give me enough fire power. I have four batteries, 6 CF cards ranging from 4-16 GB and my speedlight. Add the earplugs and a pocket flashlight just in case. I was going to wear my cool Cuban straw fedora but then remembered that the brim always gets in the way when I shoot so scratch that. Gonna have to rely on my mojo alone.

My Smug Site
    edited January 19, 2011
    Ha, sounds like you got it going...mojo and all....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Foques wrote: »
    Flashlight.. never had to use one.. Not sure what i'd need one for.. :P

My camera is still smarter than me, so I figure this way I can show it who is boss. It also comes in handy when you drop the lens cap on the nice dark floor. DAMHIK, IJK.

I guess part of it is that to me a flashlight is a pocket flashlight, a dual AA flashlight, not a 3D cell monster.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited January 19, 2011
    ^ ok. I think it really depends on shooting style.

OP, in regard to lens requirement, my first concerts, I shot only with 17-50 S I didn't have anything else at 2.8..
    My Site
    My Facebook