Options

Programmatically create a lot of smart galleries

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
Does anyone know of a way to quickly and easily create lots (>100) smart galleries? Ideally this would be a program that would read a file that would contain a series of entries, Each entry would contain the following information: the name of the smart gallery to be created and the set of keyword combinations to be used in the gallery.

The program would also need to set the other gallery parameters as well.

Again, ideally, it would then create a txt file or some output that listed the name of the gallery and the resulting URL to the smart gallery.

I know something like this does not exist but how hard would it be to do something like this? What would be involved?

My idea is to create these smart galleries and email the links to potential customers of my ski racing photos.
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    I don't know of any way to bulk create virtual galleries.

Perhaps you'd be better off with keyword galleries. They aren't as flexible as smart galleries for configuration, but you don't have to create them. They just exist upon demand. If you just take your base URL and add /keyword/xxxx on the end, you get a gallery of all images with that keyword. All you have to do is send the links to someone of embed them in some page.

As an example: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/keyword/kenya shows all photos on my site with the keyword kenya. You can group multiple keywords together if need be.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    I don't know of any way to bulk create virtual galleries.

Perhaps you'd be better off with keyword galleries. They aren't as flexible as smart galleries for configuration, but you don't have to create them. They just exist upon demand. If you just take your base URL and add /keyword/xxxx on the end, you get a gallery of all images with that keyword. All you have to do is send the links to someone of embed them in some page.

As an example: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/keyword/kenya shows all photos on my site with the keyword kenya. You can group multiple keywords together if need be.
    John - now why didn't I think of that? Nice and simple.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    I need to create around 75 smart galleries (again this year!). Last year, I did it by opening 10 browser tags at a time, and doing lots of tab switching and repetitive clicking. This rules require a date restriction (for school year) and a keyword (for athlete's name), so I can't use keyword galleries... well, maybe I could if I tag all this year's photos with "2012-2013" or something like that.

Still - I'd like to know if the APIs have been updated to expose Smart Gallery functionality, or if any tools have been made.

Thanks!