1956 Chevrolet Bel Air

kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
edited January 21, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
So today after nearly a week straight of cold, damp, miserable weather and being stuck indoors, I finally got a good day with some natural sun light and got a chance to go prowling around town with my new DX lens and give it a good test. Cruising down 'Irving Boulevard' here in Irving, TX and saw this parked in a parking lot outside a greasy food place, I felt compelled to stop and capture it's beauty.

New lens is: Tamron 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 DI-II LD AF
Camera body: Nikon D70
Digital manipulation: none, shot RAW converted to jpeg.

As usual, click on them for full size.

5368690706_6d69d49fa3.jpg

5368085159_70b95feb2d.jpg

5368695922_8713b39099.jpg

5368695966_da4a85b21a.jpg

5368696060_b0d37322cb.jpg

5368696114_9302b39c0e.jpg

Comments welcome.. Critique too on how I shot it, I suppose? It's just a random shot of randomness though.
Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16.5 MP DSLR
Minolta AF Zoom 70-210 F/4.5-5.6
Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 F/3.5-4.5
Places I post my work DeviantArt & FLICKR

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    What a beautiful car .. love the red thumb.gif

I just love all the inside space the older cars had. Cars today are so cramped.
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Nice find and nice new lens! Vintage cars are really beautiful. Thanks for sharing! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Nice find and nice new lens! Vintage cars are really beautiful. Thanks for sharing! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

A friend of mine's informed me this was restored incorrectly, something about orange peel but i don't really know enough about restoring cars to understand what he was talking about.

It definitely stood out and looked unique to me, and really pretty.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    kithylin wrote: »
    A friend of mine's informed me this was restored incorrectly, something about orange peel but i don't really know enough about restoring cars to understand what he was talking about.

It definitely stood out and looked unique to me, and really pretty.

"Orange peel" is a description of a bad paint job. The surface is bumpy similar
    to the skin of an orange. It is the result of a bad setting of the paint spray gun.
    It usually can be removed by buffing it out with an aggressive compound, but
    sometimes a re-paint is required.

That doesn't make the restoration any less authentic, but it does affect the
    appearance.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited January 19, 2011
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    "Orange peel" is a description of a bad paint job. The surface is bumpy similar
    to the skin of an orange. It is the result of a bad setting of the paint spray gun.
    It usually can be removed by buffing it out with an aggressive compound, but
    sometimes a re-paint is required.

That doesn't make the restoration any less authentic, but it does affect the
    appearance.

Thank you for enlightening me, that's the 5th thing I've learned today. :D
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    This is just the beginning of the story, surely? What happened when you bought a double vanilla malt and hiked your desert boots over and perched on the stool next to the owner??!!eek7.gifrolleyesmwink.gif

Neil

PS Is it illegal yet to photograph licence plates??!!
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 20, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    This is just the beginning of the story, surely? What happened when you bought a double vanilla malt and hiked your desert boots over and perched on the stool next to the owner??!!eek7.gifrolleyesmwink.gif

Neil

PS Is it illegal yet to photograph licence plates??!!

I seriously doubt it, it's in a public place, you can photograph anything in a public area... O.o At least as far as i know?

Also, No i didn't sit and eat with the owner, we just photographed it and left.
    edited January 20, 2011
    it's in a public place, you can photograph anything in a public area.

Not so any longer (license plates aside). Nowadays you can shoot some few things in a private space and virtually nothing in a public space.eek7.gifwink

Neil

edited January 21, 2011
    Not so any longer (license plates aside). Nowadays you can shoot some few things in a private space and virtually nothing in a public space.eek7.gifwink

Neil

I sat and thought about what you said, and I'm trying to think... if some other person I do not know places something in a public space, there's laws one would violate by taking a photo of it, in that public space, without the original person's knowledge?

This thread has taken a weird turn :D
    edited January 21, 2011
    I sat and thought about what you said, and I'm trying to think... if some other person I do not know places something in a public space, there's laws one would violate by taking a photo of it, in that public space, without the original person's knowledge?

This thread has taken a weird turn :D

I was just quite gratuitously making a sideways sache into the current politics of images - who controls them, who owns them and who do you ask or answer to. By law here and there, some images must not be taken in private or in public, some images can only be taken in private, some images can only be taken in public, some images must not be taken in public, permission is required for some images to be taken in public, no permission is required for images taken in private, whether images are taken in private or public, or need permission or not, images cannot be placed in the public arena, traded etc without permission, and so it goes...

I have a hunch that if someone found you taking shots of their license plate they would react badly, taking photos of their car they would ask for a cut of the profits, taking photos of their wife, well how did you get the black eye?!

Neil

edited January 21, 2011
    I was just quite gratuitously making a sideways sache into the current politics of images - who controls them, who owns them and who do you ask or answer to. By law here and there, some images must not be taken in private or in public, some images can only be taken in private, some images can only be taken in public, some images must not be taken in public, permission is required for some images to be taken in public, no permission is required for images taken in private, whether images are taken in private or public, or need permission or not, images cannot be placed in the public arena, traded etc without permission, and so it goes...

I have a hunch that if someone found you taking shots of their license plate they would react badly, taking photos of their car they would ask for a cut of the profits, taking photos of their wife, well how did you get the black eye?!

Neil

Ahhh, i see... I'm not making money from any of these, just practicing my camera skillz on what i think is pretty.