Fixing a washed out sky

gloogloo Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited January 23, 2011 in Finishing School
Hey guys! so back when I was pretty new to photography, I went on a trip to the Redwoods and snapped this shot. I went back and tried to edit it recently because I really like it, however, as you can due to my lack of experience I did not do a good exposure. i tried to fix it up the best I am capable, but i still have problems with the sky. I would love to see what tips and processes you guys would use to fix it.

a link to the original sized jpeg: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5004/5364343937_851e4ba2e5_o.jpg

5364343937_5698848ea8.jpg
"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Canon Rebel XS
17-85 USM
100mm 2.8 macro lens
100-300mm usm

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    What are you editing in? In PS, a contrast/brightness and saturation layer (appropriately masked) could bring out the sky (and I'd possibly use one on the foreground to bump that up); in LR, a gradient pulled down across it with contrast/exposure/saturation adjusted could help, too. thumb.gif
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    If you shot in raw, crank the recovery to 100.

Duplicate just the sky into a new layer, cut the bottom out and multiply the sky to bring back some details. That's what I usually do. Hope that helps.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    don't be too hard on yourself. That is a hard shot to expose. check out the trees. A lower exposure to protect more of the sky would have lost the detail in the trees.

Long term, the solution to shots like this, if they are extreme enough, is to use a tripod and blend two or more images with different exposures. Most people use HDR for this, but I think the results are often very artificial. Instead, I use exposure blending.

That won't help with this shot, of course. I think you have some good suggestions already. Recovery would my first step too, if I had the shot in RAW (which I always do)--it will pull down the brightest areas and restore some detail in them. As long as the sky is not blown out, there will be some detail there. After that, layers and selections may be the only way to go, so that you can darken the sky and not the foreground. I would lighten the foreground. I don't think a lightroom gradient will work well because of the uneven horizon.
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    I had a little go with the image you posted. Essentially I used a masked selective colour layer to put a touch of blue into the white parts of the sky and then a gradient fill layer set to soft light to boost the sky overall. I masked some of the effect along the upper part of the trees to restore the detail.

Anthony.

adjusted.jpg

layers.jpg
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    You can not get all the dynamic range in this scene with one exposure. The bright area of the sky has no detail and can not be brought back.

This is an example of needed to take more than one exposure and blending them.

Here is my try.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Amazing, Sam.
  • gloogloo Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions all (sorry for the slow response)

Yeah, the sky is completely washed out. no data. looking back, Yes I would have shot this HDR/exposure fusion. Alas, at the time i did not know what it was, haha.

I re-edited the raw file in CS5 and camera raw. doing recovery to 100 does little to help the sky since there's nothing to recover. I like you're suggestion Anthony, i think i'll give that a play with PS in my spare time and see what I can do. maybe add a texture or something to kind of "hide" the wash out, lol.
    "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Canon Rebel XS
    17-85 USM
    100mm 2.8 macro lens
    100-300mm usm