Architecture Assignment

Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited January 21, 2011 in Landscapes
Hi all.

I'm looking for some harsh critique on these photos. I will try not to take it to heart, but I have an assignment coming up for a photography class I'm taking this semester. Our subject is architecture.

With today above freezing for the first time in a few weeks, I took advantage of the conditions and went shooting. There is this petite barn locked up at the end of the football field that I've noticed for a few days and here are a couple of shots of it.

Thanks in advance.

arch-1.jpg

arch-2.jpg
Karl Lindsay
Nikon D600
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Induro CT-014 Tripod
karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px

Comments

• ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Any details on the actual assignment or is it just "architecture"? Hard to say if it meets the assignment without knowing a bit more…

Sky detail seems missing - any chance of catching that barn at sunrise or sunset with some color in the sky?
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Thanks for the reply Thwack. Unfortunately we weren't given any more details. It's wide open for interpretation. I guess I'm looking for some critique on the composition and processing.

In terms of the detail in the sky, I was thinking of converting to b&w all except the barn doors. I also thought about the possibility of a square crop to eliminate the distraction of the tree, fence and church in the bottom left.

Thoughts?

arch-1-2.jpg
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    How about this one. I went back to almost the original crop. I took a few pixels from the right side though and gave back some breathing space on the left. I think this one is the best so far.

arch-1-3.jpg
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    I like the square crop, but would consider going even tighter…to eliminate the background clutter in the bottom left and bottom right (at the expense of part of the building).

Then again, I would expect the instructor is trying to see what the students come up with on their own and expects to provide feedback to help shape future assignments.
  • quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    I personally prefer the first two. The selective coloring on the door doesn't really tell me a different story. I like the drip shot best but it doesn't really convey architecture without the wider shot. Maybe a collage?
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.