Try at Portrait

B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited January 24, 2011 in People
Once again just looking for some constructive criticism.

Thanks

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Great idea but might be too feminine for a man. Love the lighting and skin tones.
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Love the lighting... love the effect

Nit picks: don't like him "hunched" over; I agree that it might be a bit feminine

But again---great effect!!!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    The reflection doesn't add to the shot.
    Next time maybe take a more classic portrait....makes it easier to get constructive feedback with some help for stuff to work on for the next time.
    Can't get past a lot of forearms in this one :).
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    I applaud your exploring ideas for portraiture, and for seeking feedback (and you are fortunate in getting some of the same!). The subject projects well in terms of personality. But for the following reasons this image doesn't come off for me:

- the composition has areas competing for attention, rather than focusing my attention on the face. The image is split in two and I am forced to look at one half or the other, it's visually difficult to integrate

- the blackness of the surroundings is rather heavy and makes me feel that the subject is in danger of being submerged, which I think is not your intention

- one elbow is contacting the table but the other is raised which strikes me as artificial, awkward and uncomfortable

- there appears to me to be too much magenta and not enough yellow in the skin tone of the face. The arms are pretty accurate, maybe too little light on the face, after all the arms are getting direct and reflected light. Using a grey card custom WB in front of the face might help

- the subject's face is not big enough in the frame, there is a slight tunnel-vision effect for me

Just my opinion, and I hope I might have helped you with your own critical looking.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • leegochleegoch Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    As I do agree with most of the statements above, I would also say I do like this shot. It is creative and interesting to look at. I find that anytime I have to stop to look at a photo for any reason the Photographer has done there job. I get bored with the "standard" approach to portraits and applaud your creativity. Just pay attention to most of the comments made above and I am sure your next one will be great.
  • granite.thundergranite.thunder Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    This is like an effect that should be in cool shots :)
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Some excellent points already well made here.....

That's why I like coming here, for good solid criticism.

Keep moving forward :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    I like it.
    For the following reasons:
    look at the eye contact. Right down the lens.
    He is obviously very comfortable with the shooter, the subject is engaging the camera 100%. He is also very relaxed with his pose.....comfortable comes to mind. Leaning in, shows interest.
  • B JoynerB Joyner Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Hey. Just want to thank everyone for all the comments. It is weird how you don't see things until someone else points them out. I didn't see all this by myself, but now that someone else pointed them out they all make perfect sense.
    Well I will try to learn from them and do better next time. Thanks again everyone.