Options

Los Angeles Permit Question (non commercial use)

Alex.90Alex.90 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited January 23, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some questions I have concerning photography permits or shooting legally in Los Angeles.

I'm a beginning amateur photographer that just enjoys taking photos. My gear is a point and shoot Canon SX210 is, tripod( brand name unavailable), and a Targus flexible tripod. I was at Los Angeles Pershing Square this past weekend doing some night photography when I was asked by a police officer to take down my tripod for I couldn't use it, and it could lead me up to an arrest. So without knowing any laws or rights at the moment I accepted and moved along. I was not disturbing or blocking the public's access, safety or calling attention. I tried to choose an angle, and quickly set up my tripod at a good place and take the shot. When I got home I tried to do some research and found out that photographers have rights and that there are permits needed for doing commercial photography. My question is if I'm not a professional photographer nor I do or use my photography for commecial use, do I still need a permit to photograph in Los Angeles with my tripod?

Also, I would appreciate if anyone could give me any advice if night photography is acceptable in places such as the Walt Disney Concert Hall, freeway bridges, Griffith Observatory, Hollywood, beaches, or any touristic sites were night photography could be shot?

Any advice, help, or response would be great! Thanks!

Photography experience: Beginner
Photo purposes: Personal,hobby, non-commercial

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 19, 2011
    photography wasn't and isn't the issue, the tripod was the culprit. LA did pass an ordinance in recent years that ties the use of a tripod to commercial photography. It's not a policeman's job to assess your intent.

I'll try to find info and post in a follow up.

• Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Here is an example of LA Metro law:

6-05-180
    Photography and Video Recording
    A.
    A person may not photograph, film, duplicate, records, or sketch a Metro ficility or
    vehicle for comrnercial pwposes without first obtaining a Metro permit and any
    other required permits, and paying
    all required fees.
    B.
    A person who photographs, films, or records in a Metro ficility or vehicle must
    comply with
    all Metro safety requirements, instructions, licenses, and applicable
    laws including copyright laws.
    C.
    A person may photograph, film, record, or sketch a Metro ficility or vehicle for noncommercial
    purposes only in public areas, unless otherwise authorized by Metro,
    and in a manner, at a time, and at a place that does not interfere with Metro
    operations, or create an unreasonable risk to safety or well being of Metro
    representatives or patrons. Prohibited activities shall include use of a tripod, or
    laying
    of cord or cables, in a walk way; use of a flash bulb that is blinding to patrons
    or Metro Representatives; or creating congestion during an emergency evacuation.

Source: http://www.metro.net/board/Items/2010/07_July/20100722RBMItem15.pdf
  • Options
    Alex.90Alex.90 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 19, 2011
    Thanks guys for your help! The sources helped me clear out the doubts and questions I had. I really appreciated your help!
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Pershing Square
    I was in Pershing Square a few weeks ago and I can tell you that the police there (they're actually private security guards) were pretty nasty. I was taking a lighting class and they didn't even want us to stand there. We actually left. And we were tripod free. We did have light on a stick.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Hmm, Way to kill Tourism there LA. Sure as hell will stay away from LA when I ever visit CA again. What a royal PITA.

Had something like that in Milwaukee once at the Art Museum ( I think) on the lake front. Security asked me what I was taking pictures for, personal or commercial, was a model shoot and personal.. So he left. He gave some explanation that the building was "copywriten"