Record Cover

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited January 21, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I shot some pictures of a recording artist and he chose this one to use. He's legally blind, but when the pictures are blown up real big he can get the gist of them.

Other than the text and graphics added at the bottom of the image, it's a single shot straight out of the camera. Any takers on how the effect was done?

163791_177946978903274_100000639197739_474112_7303594_n.jpg

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Cool shot Joel.........Opened the shutter in a completely dark room, then shot the picture of the guy with a flash. With the shutter still open used a flashlight for the lighting effectheadscratch.gif I THINK......
  • kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    I've done this before, just shooting something with slower shutter speed and hand held and wiggle the camera around intentionally.

Looks like you took another shot of the guy singing clearly and layered it in with photoshop under the lights, maybe.
    Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16.5 MP DSLR
    Minolta AF Zoom 70-210 F/4.5-5.6
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 F/3.5-4.5
    Places I post my work DeviantArt & FLICKR
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,890 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    I like this very much...! I think it is a "flash freeze" using a slow shutter speed and flash.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 20, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    Cool shot Joel.........Opened the shutter in a completely dark room, then shot the picture of the guy with a flash. With the shutter still open used a flashlight for the lighting effectheadscratch.gif I THINK......
    You are definitely on the right track Gary, hats off to ya! thumb.gif
    edited January 20, 2011
    kithylin wrote: »
    I've done this before, just shooting something with slower shutter speed and hand held and wiggle the camera around intentionally.
    Good comment, kithylin. Mix your idea with Gary's, and you pretty much nailed it.
    Looks like you took another shot of the guy singing clearly ad layered it in with photoshop under the lights, maybe.
    Nope. The effect was done entirely in the camera, as mentioned in the original post.
    edited January 20, 2011
    Juano wrote: »
    I like this very much...! I think it is a "flash freeze" using a slow shutter speed and flash.
    Bingo! But what is the busy background?
    edited January 20, 2011
    Answer
    Here's the rest of the story.

We were on a plateau at night with a nice view of the Las Vegas skyline. I was shooting shots like this.

1104313354_yB4Yv-L.jpg

I was using a 2 second exposure to get the distant lights of the city bright enough, and using remote flashes to light my subject. I picked up the camera and tripod to move it and inadvertently tripped the shutter. That's it! Pure accident, but a trick I shall remember. :D
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    Would never have hit the guess concerning what created the light streamers. But I was pretty curious what did. mwink.gif Lovely shot that last one thumb.gif And I do enjoy the first as well. Very nice work.
    Michael
  • kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Nope. The effect was done entirely in the camera, as mentioned in the original post.

Whoops! I totally missed that part in the OP, sorry :D
    Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16.5 MP DSLR
    Minolta AF Zoom 70-210 F/4.5-5.6
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 F/3.5-4.5
    Places I post my work DeviantArt & FLICKR