Options

Is there a "best type of lighting" to edit under?

Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
edited January 23, 2011 in Finishing School
I am looking to turn a portion of my basement into my little office area soon. I have the opportunity to put just about what ever kind of lighting I want in there. Is there a best option for the type of lighting to edit photos under? I will say that the ceiling is very low in the basement.. only 6'2" high. So I don't have really high ceiling to work with. There is only 1 window in that portion of the basement, which I can block out easily, so all of my light will be from my source of choice. Is this even something I should be worried about? I know that not everyone will view the prints in the same lighting that I will have... thanks for any help.

Lance.

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Check out Solux.net.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    You just gave me a really good idea for the basement editing to be consistent lighting. Thanks!
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Look at:

PHILIPS TL 950 - T8, 5000 Kelvin, 98 CRI Full Spectrum Fluorescent Lamps
    The Philips TL 950 Full Spectrum fluorescent lights offer unmatched Coloring Rendering in T8 Fluorescent Technology!!! The Philipus TL950 series is a very high CRI lamp which is available in 24, 36 and 48 inch sizes. Its low color temperature combined with a high CRI translate to a longer acceptable life.
    Full Spectrum Fluorescent Lamps, particular the philips TL 950s Are Ideal for ..
    • High- End Retail Shops
    • Hotel Ballrooms and Restrooms
    • Museums and Art Galleries
    • Graphic Arts
    • Photography Studios
    • Avicultural Lamps
    The Philips F32T8 TL950 Full Spectrum Fluorescent Bulbs and Lamps Feature:
    • The philips TL950 Full Spectrum Fluorescent Bulbs are Perfect for Color Critical Applications

Provides distortion-free fluorescent lighting
    • 5000 Kelvin at 98 CRI
    Sam
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2011
    Don’t get too caught up with high CRI values! They were designed primarily to make Fluorescent bulbs appear better than they are. A high CRI is a decent gauge of how well a light will preform in your home but not such a great indicator of how well it will work for photography and proofing. Both a Solux 48 and a "full spectrum" tube from home depot may have a CRI of 97. I can assure you the Home Depot bulb has a giant mercury spike and some spectral dead spots.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Thanks for all the help here... it is appreciated. Now the hard part... building the "office".
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2011
    arodney wrote: »
    Don’t get too caught up with high CRI values! They were designed primarily to make Fluorescent bulbs appear better than they are. A high CRI is a decent gauge of how well a light will preform in your home but not such a great indicator of how well it will work for photography and proofing. Both a Solux 48 and a "full spectrum" tube from home depot may have a CRI of 97. I can assure you the Home Depot bulb has a giant mercury spike and some spectral dead spots.

Do some research on The Philips F32T8 TL950 . This is not a Home Depot tube, and it's not $1.99 but you can put them in Home Depot housings. :D

While you are certainly free to choose any lighting you wish, don't dicount The Philips F32T8 TL950 without some research.

I have 7 two tube housings housings
    in my studio, printing room. Every other alternative I researched for an entire room was cost prohibitive for me.

You can find The Philips F32T8 TL950 online from about $7.00 to $26.00 for a 48" length.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Do some research on The Philips F32T8 TL950 . This is not a Home Depot tube, and it's not $1.99 but you can put them in Home Depot housings. :D

But there’s still a very spiky spectrum, its hardly full spectrum (no Fluorescent is, thanks to the mercury spike). It may be better than a $1.99 Home Depot tube, the point is, CRI is not a good indicator of light quality and its not going to be producing the same quality as a true, full spectrum illuminant like Solux.

The SPD of a Fluorescent and Solux tell the story (see figure 1 here: http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200604_rodneycm.pdf)

Papers with high OBAs can be negatively influenced (produce a magenta color cast) due to the spikes in the spectrum. High OBAs should be avoided. But the same could be said of illuminants with spiky spectrums.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2011
    arodney wrote: »
    But there’s still a very spiky spectrum, its hardly full spectrum (no Fluorescent is, thanks to the mercury spike). It may be better than a $1.99 Home Depot tube, the point is, CRI is not a good indicator of light quality and its not going to be producing the same quality as a true, full spectrum illuminant like Solux.

The SPD of a Fluorescent and Solux tell the story (see figure 1 here: http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200604_rodneycm.pdf)

Papers with high OBAs can be negatively influenced (produce a magenta color cast) due to the spikes in the spectrum. High OBAs should be avoided. But the same could be said of illuminants with spiky spectrums.

I agree that the Soleux is technically superior, but all solutions are a compromise. I believe for my use the Solux was too costly and more difficult to install for an entire 14 X 17 room. Plus at 32 watts per bulb versus 100 watts per bulb it's more cost effective.

If you are looking at a small say 4 X 8 viewing area, or spot illumination for an individual art / photo on the wall, I think Solux could be a great solution.

These are just my thoughts.

Sam
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    I recently purchased a GrafiLite (around £50 - $70). Whilst it is not as complete a solution as a Solux refit, it has improved my print viewing substantially.

Anthony.