Why I went to a full frame camera

bobbykbobbyk Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited January 21, 2011 in Cameras
I just got my blog up and running I have a few posts already that I spend some time on.

The first was Microstock Simplified

Then I did one on Lens Micro-Adjustments

The last one I spent a fair amount of time on it as I was struggling to figure out if I really should get a FF camera. In the end I am happy with it. But the test I did, did not bear out what I thought my experience was. I probably screwed up on the test. Its here, Time to go Full Frame.

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    I was at wedding once as a guest and somone had brought a 5dmk2. I had heard a lot about it the camera before and was happy to actually able to see one up close. (I come from d700). It felt very light and plasticy, the mirror sounded clunky, and looking through the viewfinder was a bit of a let down due to the number and spread of AF points. Just not what I was expecting I suppose.*puts on asbestos suit* Image quality is great though which is what mostly counts.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    -
    Qarik wrote: »
    I was at wedding once as a guest and somone had brought a 5dmk2. I had heard a lot about it the camera before and was happy to actually able to see one up close. (I come from d700). It felt very light and plasticy, the mirror sounded clunky, and looking through the viewfinder was a bit of a let down due to the number and spread of AF points. Just not what I was expecting I suppose.*puts on asbestos suit* Image quality is great though which is what mostly counts.
    I've shot weddings (as the primary shooter) with both the D700, 5D mk2, D300, and 7D.

I definitely have to say that I prefer the construction, button layout and customizability of the D300 and D700 as a pair, although if the 7D's improvements are any sign of what the 5D mk3 will be, the point is moot.

As far as the full-frame VS crop debate goes, I guess I simply care a lot less than most about noise. I like GRAIN, and grain is just noise without color, which is basically what you get with the default noise reduction that Bridge / Lightroom applies.

But, I do appreciate the little extra forgiveness with ISO, and the depth of field, afforded by full-frame.

Having said that, I'm shooting with the new D7000 this weekend (rented) and I'm pretty impressed already.

Honestly? I think it might be good enough for me to buy a Nikon D400 if one is ever made. (A D300s with the D7000's improvements...)

As beneficial as full-frame is, I believe it's going to be a specialty tool for me in the future. The limited focus point spread and the larger size / weight is too much of a hindrance for my usual shooting style for me to adopt it full-time. I love my crop sensor 2.8 zooms too, the Sigma 50-150 2.8 has been amazing for the last 4-5 years, and the Tokina 11-16 is holding it's own against even the best full-frame ultra-wides...

I'll probably only ever use full-frame with a couple 1.4 primes, for specific applications in portraiture or low-light.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    bobbyk wrote: »
    I just got my blog up and running I have a few posts already that I spend some time on.

The first was Microstock Simplified

Then I did one on Lens Micro-Adjustments

The last one I spent a fair amount of time on it as I was struggling to figure out if I really should get a FF camera. In the end I am happy with it. But the test I did, did not bear out what I thought my experience was. I probably screwed up on the test. Its here, Time to go Full Frame.

yes, the Canon 5DmkII is a nice camera but still a little pricey !