Options

Amazing Macro Videos with 5D!

kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited April 10, 2011 in Video
Hi!

I have a Canon 5D Mark II and have been having fun using the video capabilities. It's amazing the HD quality of the camera, and the fact that I can use my other lenses with it... so cool!

I've never posted in this forum before, but wanted to share some of what I've been working on.

Here, have a look at one of my videos. (not sure if I'm posting the link correctly. If not, you can see this and other videos at kdspencer.com/videos/educational-videos)

This is REAL TIME capture of a painted lady caterpillar larva peeling off its skin to form a chrysalis - using my macro lens. It's HD, so might take a few minutes to load.

http://www.kdspencer.com/Videos/Educational-Videos/Caterpillar-to-Butterfly/12764012_eM3V7#1021772437_a2DEM-A-LB

I'd love to hear your feedback!!
Kathleen
www.kdspencer.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    Holy moly! :jawdrop
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,828 moderator
    edited January 19, 2011
    Most excellent. Just wonderful choice of subject and background. Very nice lighting and enough DOF to carry the content. A joy to watch and the background music is pertinent without being distractive.

My only complaints are that you don't have more for me to watch and my connection speed is too slow.

thumb.gifthumbclap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2011
    That is stunning! awesome, wow.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2011
    Wow, thanks everyone!

If you haven't already seen, you can view some other videos with an educational flavor for children that I've done with my Canon 5D Mark II. There's some cool footage of tadpoles at all stages of developing feet, as well as caterpillars and chrysalis' and butterflies.

The videos are on my website at www.kdspencer.com/videos/educational-videos, or you could look on youtube (and subscribe to my channel), as I'll be uploading some additional videos soon of turtles hatching, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KDSpencerVideo

Thanks!!
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com
  • Options
    80weeks80weeks Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2011
  • Options
    SqueezerSqueezer Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    kdspencer wrote: »
    This is REAL TIME capture of a painted lady caterpillar larva peeling off its skin to form a chrysalis - using my macro lens.

Very nice video. Amazing that it is real time. How much longer did it take to get the wings out
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    Excellent work Kathleen. As an educator, if I were still in the elementary or preschool levels, I would want to purchase a set of your films. Well done!

Alas, I am now working with IT courses at the college level, but when I see quality stuff that harkens back to my teaching roots I pass that info on to others — and I will definitely be showing my grandson the caterpillar to butterfly piece on your site when I get home this evening. It ties together the whole experience, and using your sons to host the shoot makes it very kid friendly. Moreover, by keeping the videos around 5 or so minutes, you maintain a child's interest. Keep up the great work!
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2011
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    Squeezer - I waited one night until 2am for the butterfly to get its wings out... it actually is a pretty quick process once it decides it's ready to come out. You can see the whole life cycle process in the Caterpillar to Butterfly movie hosted by my 2 boys at http://www.kdspencer.com/Videos/Educational-Videos/Caterpillar-to-Butterfly/12764012_eM3V7#1021755825_Rd8gb

The end of the video shows the butterfly coming out of its chrysalis, and it is also real time. It's pretty cool stuff.
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com
  • Options
    BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2011
    Great video - An excellent catch of an interesting process. I also found the 'Tadpole to Frog' video on your site to be quite interesting. It brought back good memories from when I was a kid and I'll be showing it to some youngsters I know would love it right now...

Nice work, John
    Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2011
    Well done Kathleenthumb.gif Great video, great subject, great lighting and setting.
  • Options
    ruexp2ruexp2 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    Impressive
    Well done Kathleenthumb.gif Great video, great subject, great lighting and setting.

Have to agree with Peterclap.gif
    Canon 7D
    Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 VC
    Tamron 70-300mm F/4-5.6 VC
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Nexto eXtreme Image backup device 160GB