what kind of bird did I get??

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited July 7, 2004 in Wildlife
I saw the larger bird on the ground as we were leaving a place. They were closing. I was out of space on my memory card, but I made some room, got three pictures, this is the only good one. Does anybody know birds, these two were acting strangely, obviously together, at least the little one was fliting around the larger one. Here are the birds.

5763872-L.jpg

by ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    Hi Ginger, nice shot! I think it is some kind of hawk, but I'm only familiar with the european kind, so don't know which one.. The one in the back is definately another one and if you say they acted strange it's maybe nesting and afraid it's chicks will be lunch? The parents try to keep the big birds away from the nest by being in it's way all yhe time.
    I'll keep looking..
  • ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    It looks like a juvenile Swainson's Hawk and a Magpie.
    Swainson's are fairly common as hawks go but any bird of prey is spectacular IMO.

Tim
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    It looks like a juvenile Swainson's Hawk and a Magpie.
    Swainson's are fairly common as hawks go but any bird of prey is spectacular IMO.

Tim
    I think I remember that Magpies are social birds that will harrass a hawk or even an animal or human that was previously seen carrying a black object. But I might be confusing Magpies with Jackdaws.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    Two nice Cow Birds dining together..
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I saw the larger bird on the ground as we were leaving a place. They were closing. I was out of space on my memory card, but I made some room, got three pictures, this is the only good one. Does anybody know birds, these two were acting strangely, obviously together, at least the little one was fliting around the larger one. Here are the birds.

5763872-L.jpg

by ginger
    I'm up in Tahoe (been doing the move thang), so I don't have my bird books, but the small bird looks like a Northern Mockingbird to me (I think they may also be known as magpies), and the hawk could be the Swainson's or a Redtail, really not positive. If the smaller bird is the mockingbird, then the hawk's a bit smallish for a Redtail.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • tsiyatsiya Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2004
    Based on where You are
    ginger_55 wrote:

5763872-L.jpg

by ginger
    My first impulse is Osprey. Wish I could see more profile. Near saltwater, Ospreys rule. Pretty shot, tsiya