Last minute shoot

leegochleegoch Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited January 24, 2011 in People
This friend of mine needed a last minute shoot, I came up with this one and have never done it before. I had 2 lights to either side and one behind the backdrop to try to give it some glow.

1156843699_wiWFX-L.jpg

1156843222_FoUT6-L.jpg

1156842769_wEfVy-L.jpg

1156846466_4tzEA-L.jpg

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    The first thing the strikes me is the high key lit backdrop and the more on the low key side subject.
    Just seems out of place to me.

Shadows are harsh on one, two and four and the crops are tight on those as well.

The lighting is nicer in three but I'm not crazy about the crop either...

Nice job for a quickie though

Three is my fave
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    get your lights much much closer. form the catch light it appears the light are veruy far away and that leads to all sort of issues.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    The light in the third is the best effort. Second the comments above.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DECinNCDECinNC Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    I don't like the shadows on her face.
    Dale Childress
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    #3 is the best of the lot, but crop is to tight (or not tight enough) at the top of her head. Agree with comments about lighting.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    I must say. you've some nice ones in the set but the contrast is a bit much in some of them....blacks are too black and whites are too white...
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • leegochleegoch Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    Thank you all for the great comments, As always not all comments are positive and that is how we learn. I am going to try this again with the lights closer and the light behind the backdrop a bit dimmer. Does that sound like a good thought?
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    Play with only one light and study what happens. A start point would be on a 45 to the subject and camera.......then a 45 from floor to ceiling. (think in two planes). Move the light in and out.....up and down.....more to the camera then further from the camera. Watch the shadows and see what happens in all instances. Don't worry about the subject just study what happens to the shadows. Take a photo of each one with notes to help remember what your seeing. Or better yet a quick video with one of those cheap flip videos.

Then add another to fill in the shadows and play with that one while the other stays stationary. Watch how the shadows open up. Again forget the subject. A pretty girl with an ugly light is still a pretty girl with an ugly light but a pretty girl with a pretty light is a masterpiece.
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Play with only one light and study what happens. A start point would be on a 45 to the subject and camera.......then a 45 from floor to ceiling. (think in two planes). Move the light in and out.....up and down.....more to the camera then further from the camera. Watch the shadows and see what happens in all instances. Don't worry about the subject just study what happens to the shadows. Take a photo of each one with notes to help remember what your seeing. Or better yet a quick video with one of those cheap flip videos.

Then add another to fill in the shadows and play with that one while the other stays stationary. Watch how the shadows open up. Again forget the subject. A pretty girl with an ugly light is still a pretty girl with an ugly light but a pretty girl with a pretty light is a masterpiece.

Very well described, Charles. thumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • leegochleegoch Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »

Wow thank you, MOst people do not take the time to give such great advice. I am trying exactly this as soon as a possibly can. I am sure I will learn a lot from doing it. Again thank you.