From Narnia to Nonsense: CA in Infrared

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited January 28, 2011 in Landscapes
We had some good friends from Baltimore come stay with us a few days over the weekend. Although it wasn't their first time to the SF bay area, they'd not seen very much of California's majesty. I also just got back a Canon SD940 IS from Lifepixel in the nick of time, so it was time to throw everything in the car and hit the road.

Yosemite

We had plans to go snow shoeing in Yosemite, but I had neglected to look at a proper map of the park until we were past the Arch Rocks entrance. So instead of grand hikes to Mariposa Grove and showing them giant sequoias, we opted for a drive up to Badger Pass, where we hiked a 4.5-mile loop towards Glacier Point.

First, a stop to gaze down the valley since it's on the way. We drove through the valley at sunset on the way out to see the waterfalls. Yosemite really is Narnia, a completely hidden paradise in the middle of nowhere.

Tunnel View:
1158968563_ar2wr-XL.jpg

Tunnel View with Matt:
1158945511_JcWoT-XL.jpg

Tunnel View with Trav:
1159053007_fAYwt-XL.jpg

Tunnel View with Matt and Noelle:
1159056243_zYTZE-XL.jpg

Once we got our snow shoes we were off. I didn't know that we would be sharing trails with cross-country skiiers, a sport I've never even thought about before. Did you know they go uphill? :huh I thought I was going to die, because we only had 4 hours and ate most of our Clif bars on the drive in.

But the view was nice:

1158945614_Hvj5G-XL.jpg

1162312254_DGPz2-518x690-2.jpg1162316595_Fwftr-518x690-1.jpg

Eventually the groomed trail was a little boring so we decided to go off-road:

1162316586_UNKZ5-XL.jpg

... which is fine as long as your dodge the giant mounts of slush falling from 50 feet up! And know where you are at all times.

1162318936_WYkuf-XL.jpg

1162317801_Akhxt-518x690-1.jpg1162328865_27WG7-518x690-1.jpg

We did have a few fun obstacles, like when we walked across a creek that couldn't support our weight, and when we found out we were stuck in a snowbank. But it was all good. We made it back without eating one another.

1162322538_Dxsut-XL.jpg

1162326866_2jsmV-XL.jpg

1162335091_BKGaw-XL.jpg

Here's a pic of what IR photography really looks like. Since the 5D is cumbersome when snow shoeing, and you're in the middle of the harshest light anyway, the point-and-shoot was an obvious choice:

1161795131_oTbt5-XL.jpg

The Mystery Spot

The Mystery Spot is one of the cheesiest of cheesy attractions in the Santa Cruz Mountains. You can't go anywhere around here without seeing one of their famous yellow bumper stickers, but until we walked under that towering gate I had no idea what the place was actually about.

Supposedly, there is a 150-ft diameter spot on the mountainside where you can find all kinds of gravitational anomalies. It was good fun and our guide was full of awful jokes, but well worth the $5.

1162067149_NDAAG-XL.jpg

1162336749_5veCp-XL.jpg

1161789716_tcED9-XL-4.jpg

I thought I actually had more photos of this place but I guess not! Well, that's a mystery. :scratch

Santa Cruz Wharf

The Municipal Wharf is a brisk walk which is great to burn off lunch. And to see sea lions. The tide was out, so they were napping in rafts, fins up.

1162345707_SBXcD-XL.jpg

1162341085_hLiPF-XL.jpg

Point Lobos

No trip to show the Pacific is complete without Point Lobos. It's not far from the South Bay area and you're guaranteed to see all kinds of wildlife.

1162363313_4FtQx-XL.jpg

1162353129_zcN8t-XL.jpg

1162352899_hsRYb-XL.jpg

1162358318_BBcXB-XL.jpg

The funniest part is that we didn't really see any wildlife. A few seals a half mile away, but that's it.

Big Sur

And yet again, we have the beaches at Big Sur. The tide was out and the wind was rough but it was still a beautiful evening full of lively NorCal beachgoers... and fisherman digging for worms.

1162070084_m2kkj-XL.jpg

I love what IR does for portraits:

1162367706_G5mPo-XL.jpg

1162072608_PCc56-XL.jpg

1162075053_iUwdi-XL.jpg

1162370587_AHsSL-XL.jpg

Here's to good times, good light and not getting stuck in the snow! Hope everyone else had a great weekend and a great holiday if you're Stateside. :thumb

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    We made it back without eating one another.

Always a good thing!

Great series, bowdown.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Nice series Schmoo.
    The Mystery Spot! Haven't thought of that place in years...thanks for reminding me.
    E
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Always enjoy your little trips Schmoo!! Thanks for sharing!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Great series. Love the shot of your friends in full winter warm gear on the beach
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Thanks, all. Ron I love the trips, too, and that's why my car has 50k miles on it after only two years. lol3.gif This state is too big with too much to see!

Once my other half gets back from the East we'll have to start exploring some new territory. There's just so much of it around.
  • canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Beautiful! I would really like to go to Yosemite in winter...
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    What a wonderful post. Thanks for all the photos and explanations. Some of your IR looks more like B&W. Makes Me think about converting my 5D.

Sam
    edited January 24, 2011
    Thanks guys! canghuixu, I have only been to Yosemite twice and both times in the winter. I've driven through Tioga Pass several times in the summer and the meadows and roads were so unbelievably packed with tourists I vowed I would never ever visit the park in summer. Winter is totally the way to go. thumb.gif

Sam, yeah I started using the IR P&S as a regular P&S for the weekend, mostly because the 5D was buried under a pile of other gear in the trunk of the car. It does produce some good pics and I never mind b/w, since you can't always have bright blue skies, either.
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    wonderful set of pictures would love to have that lense.
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    What an enjoyable picture story...the photos are well balanced with catchy compositions that make the story fun to read. Nice Job.
  • SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Love the IR pics!! So much fun! Keep shooting and sharing!
    John
  • rjxrjx Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Wonderful series!! Someday soon I would love to go to Yosemite. I have only been there once about 23 years ago. Loved it!
    Randolph Knackstedt
    Photographs |
    Facebook Friend Page

...the camera need not be a cold mechanical device. Like the pen, it is as good as the man who uses it. It can be the extension of mind and heart... - John Steinbeck
    edited January 25, 2011
    Thanks guys, and Trey I only ever tend to shoot if there are good peeps around to form a good experience. So it sort of engineers itself.

Randolph I thought it was bad that I've lived in the SF bay area for two years and have only been to Yosemite twice.... 23 years! lol3.gif
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Lovely shots Schmoo. I absolutely love the closeup vertical shot of the trees, I know you have a lot of them. very nice.
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Hi Schmoo,

I enjoy your series and your photo journey of the trail from Badger Pass to Glacier Point. I always enjoy that trail in the winter. Good groomed trail, good workout, and great views. I like snowcamping at Crocker Point and Glacier Point for an awesome view of sunrise/sunset.
    edited January 26, 2011
    tisun wrote: »
    Hi Schmoo,

I enjoy your series and your photo journey of the trail from Badger Pass to Glacier Point. I always enjoy that trail in the winter. Good groomed trail, good workout, and great views. I like snowcamping at Crocker Point and Glacier Point for an awesome view of sunrise/sunset.

Wow, great to know someone that's actually familiar with that area! I was not prepared for how long it was, as on the map it looks quite short.

Definitely would want to consider taking a full day to try the trail, and Trav may even convince me to attempt snowcamping. Do you need any sort of permit for that?
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Great journey Schmoo. You really gave your friends their money's worth.
    It's a rare skill to be able to shoot in the bright of day and come up with
    an interesting exposure and composition.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    L O V E L Y

I've lived in California my entire life and I've never been to Yosemite. Your photos make me want to go now... I mean right now, like this second.

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos Steph.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited January 27, 2011
    L O V E L Y

I've lived in California my entire life and I've never been to Yosemite. Your photos make me want to go now... I mean right now, like this second.

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos Steph.

I know it's a bit of a drive from you but hopefully you can make it one of these seasons! It's a popular destination for a reason.
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    A very nice series schmoo... love the effect the IR achieves in the snow thumb.gif
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE