Tree and Small Barn in the Fog

PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited January 20, 2011 in Landscapes
For years I've been driving by this small barn on my way to work and have always wanted to get a picture. Well, I finally made it out there this past Monday.

The fog was thick and it flattened the colors quite a bit, so I thought I'd try it as a B&W. I am not very experienced with the conversion, so if anyone has any comments or suggestions regarding the contrast, levels or anything else for that matter, I am all ears. Thanks.

1162753014_oG9Ss-XL.jpg

Comments

• HauerHauer Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    You have captured a wonderful atmoshere!
    Cheers - Herman
    My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

Nikon gear & some lenses.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    very nice. And kind of spooky too.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Thanks!

Here's another one from a different angle that I've been playing with...

1162806432_sjvx6-XL.jpg
    edited January 20, 2011
    Me again! I've tweaked my original image a little bit too add a bit more punch. Does anyone have a preference?

1 - Original
    1162753014_oG9Ss-XL-2.jpg

2 - New Version
    1163068899_SsEZB-XL.jpg
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    I actually think I prefer the original. This is fog, so you expect low contrast. I love the creepy shapes of oak trees and the mist adds to that. Nice work thumb.gif
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    I prefer the first one. It seems the enhancements you are adding are in the tree and that seems to be moving the emphasis. My question is what is the subject for the picture? Is it the tree or the barn? I think based on your description you want it to be the barn. I wonder if you want to try another crop. I was wondering if a tighter crop losing some of the foreground and maybe only keeping about 1/2 of the big tree on the left would work. Just a thought...
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    I prefer the first one as well. I think it is beautiful and the black and white conversion is very good for this pic and atmosphere. Love it!
    edited January 20, 2011
    Thank you both for you feedback!!! I really appreciate your honest opinions.

I think you've all got a point... I like the first edit better too. The second one seems a little over-processed to me.

I did take your advice and came up with a version that is a tighter crop. I am not sure if I like it better than the original, but I'll keep playing with it.

1163069232_iZNkr-XL.jpg