Options

New Camera help please

ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
edited September 22, 2005 in Cameras
Hello all

Well it is time to move up from the 717, we do like the camera, but....
So now the big question; we have a chance to buy a 300D from a good friend, it will come with the kit lens and the 70-300 USM IS for 925.00 (plus extra batteries, charger etc. etc.). She bought the camera about 6 months ago and now wants the newer 350D.
However just read the review of the new R1, tempting but....I see some of the same limitations that the 717 has, lack of real TP and speed. Ok that is a simple way of putting it since the R1 is light years above the 717 in many ways. Flip side buying the 300D is almost buying behind the curve so to speak. Since I know many of you have experiences with both cameras your thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2005
    wave.gif hiya nonda, welcome to dgrin :D

the r1, will give you much improved image quality over your 717 (no slouch, that 717!). the samples provided thus far from the r1 look really good, esp in the noise department! adequate focal range but not for wildlife imo, and i know you like to shoot wildlife!

the 300d is a fine fine camera. excellent body to cut your teeth on, as you move to the dslr world.

stick around here on dgrin - there are lots of helpful folks here. glad you joined!
  • Options
    Hi back Andy!
    Yes the R1 does look to have very good image quality, but the 717 doesn't owe us anything either, wish we could keep it AND get a new one. The thought of the 75-300 lens makes Don's eyes glaze overrolleyes1.gif

50C question since the 300 comes with the kit lens and the above what would be a good grab and go lens?
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    EF lenses are going to be around for awhile still. The R1 is going to be outdated in 6 months to a year. I say go with the canon. That way when you upgrade next time it's just to a new body, and still have good glass.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    EF lenses are going to be around for awhile still. The R1 is going to be outdated in 6 months to a year. I say go with the canon. That way when you upgrade next time it's just to a new body, and still have good glass.
    I agree. That's why I bought my 300D last christmas. I'm now upgrading to a 10D, and selling my 300D after it comes back from a complete overhaul.

Canon = t3h w1n! thumb.gif
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2005
    After doing a bit of digging I'm not real sure the 75-300 IS USM would be the best way to spend 325.00, although I do think it is a fair price. Thoughts?
    The 28-105 looks to be a good all round (hubby rarely, if ever, plans a shot and still takes better pics than I do for the most part, good natural eye me thinks, darn) so that lens should keep him happy most of the time. But we still need a bit more distance without spending $$$$.

Thanks