Winter in the Appalachians

karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited January 24, 2011 in Landscapes
I'd like to share a few recent images that I made in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina:

1. Snowy Hillside

1163082064_5ub5w-XL.jpg

2. Snowy Mountains from the Parkway -- By this time of the day, the area had gone through two warm days and the snow was starting to melt considerably, which was good for driving, but didn't leave quite the field of white that I was hoping to capture:

1163086102_UxUZN-XL.jpg

3. Solitary Asphalt -- This image was made on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Currently, the Parkway south of Asheville is closed and so the best you can do is park as close to the Parkway as you can and hike on. I had quite the time actually being able to set up my camera in the road and not having to worry about oncoming traffic! Most of the Parkway was covered in quite a bit of deep snow and this little bit of asphalt helped offer a sense of place.

1163083884_XQTFS-XL.jpg

4. Mill Shoals Falls in January

1163092546_stK36-XL.jpg

5. Waterfall near Mill Shoal Falls -- Red is most definitely the hardest color to capture and process properly. The red building was hard to keep from turning too red while working the processing style to fit in more with the vignetting, which I think actually works on this one -- thoughts?

1160115289_xq7Pd-XL.jpg

6. Sunset from Jumping Off Rock -- The weather actually cooperated quite well during my time out there and so sunset was a real treat!

1163095716_nQ3g4-XL.jpg

7. Snowy Blue Ridge at Dusk -- But of course, in my book, it's that time about 15-20 minutes after sunset that gives the most dramatic lighting at times:

1163004864_ytpFg-XL.jpg

8. Looking Glass Falls in January -- arguably the most photographed waterfall in North Carolina, but here's my winter interpretation:

1163098674_tjzey-XL.jpg

C&C Appreciated :D

Comments

• Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    It's a fantastic set, my personal favorites are #4 and 5 but it's hard to pick favorites because that's where i'm from and I love them all. Such a great area.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    I've always taken the Appalachians for granted but now that they are so far away I miss them. You've captured some of the very best things they have to offer, which is much more difficult than it seems. The first photo is incredible in the spininess of those trees. I thought you'd used some fancy Photoshop filter at first!

My overall favorite is #7. The feeling I get looking down that valley at sunset and seeing all those lights come on is just... indescribable.
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    Sexy6Chick wrote:
    It's a fantastic set, my personal favorites are #4 and 5 but it's hard to pick favorites because that's where i'm from and I love them all. Such a great area.

Thank you! Believe it or not, #4 and #5 were both taken with the tripod in the same place. It's an interesting area because #4 is called Mill Shoal Falls, but there's enough distance between #4 and #5 that I feel #5 shouldn't get lumped in as part of Mill Shoal Falls. That said, I can't find another name for either falls.
    schmoo wrote: »
    I've always taken the Appalachians for granted but now that they are so far away I miss them. You've captured some of the very best things they have to offer, which is much more difficult than it seems. The first photo is incredible in the spininess of those trees. I thought you'd used some fancy Photoshop filter at first!

My overall favorite is #7. The feeling I get looking down that valley at sunset and seeing all those lights come on is just... indescribable.

Thank you, schmoo! Indeed -- the more familiar I become with the area, the happier I've been with the images I've made. Those trees were fun to shoot and I did do a lot of post-processing on that one, but mainly to add contrast back in so that you could tell the variations between the different mountains.

#7 is definitely my favorite, too. I was out there with my wife (a non-photographer) who was starting to get impatient with how cold it was and how the next move was to get dinner :) This was one of those scenes that was just hard to take your eyes off of and I was very lucky that the light cooperated as it did. I've been to this spot before and not even been able to see much at all due to the cloud cover, so I was very happy with how things came together :D
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    The first one looks almost abstract - thats my favorite! The sunset is beautiful! really nice...
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    Wow! I love this set. #3 and #4 are my faves! Great work!
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Eia wrote:
    The first one looks almost abstract - thats my favorite! The sunset is beautiful! really nice...

Thanks, Eia :D I've actually been surprised how much people like the first one. I liked it, but didn't expect it would garner quite the response. Very much appreciate your comments here.
    Wow! I love this set. #3 and #4 are my faves! Great work!

Thanks! #3 was definitely fun to shoot. It was such a relief to see that stretch of asphalt as the rest of the Parkway was covered in deep snow and we didn't have snow shoes. If you get down to that area in the winter, I definitely recommend trying to go hike on the Parkway -- it was surreal.