A Family Portrait

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited October 7, 2005 in People
Yesterday, trying to catch the last of the sweet light (as usual, running way behind schedule), but at least we are all smiling!!!!
(didn't have to move any faces for this one!)
36664968-M.jpg

ann

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Yesterday, trying to catch the last of the sweet light (as usual, running way behind schedule), but at least we are all smiling!!!!

ann
    thats a nice catch Ann.. even the dog is looking??
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    lynnma wrote:
    thats a nice catch Ann.. even the dog is looking??
    Thanks, Lynn. My nephew stood behind the camera and called the dog for me!

I may work on the PP on this one some more - pump it up a bit more.

ann
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Ann, I love that picture. It is a classic as a family portrait, IMO. All the women are beautiful and the men are handsome. The backdrop is wonderful and there is a dog..............

Very good looking family! (Does you husband have his hand on the dog's collar?)rolleyes1.gif . I recognize the look.:D

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2005
    This is a nice portrait Ann! Good exposure and nice setting. Your family looks great. Lots of happy faces!

Erich
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 20, 2005
    Where'd the other people go?
    Laughing.gif Ann,
    I just got done commenting on your other family shot (add pitchfork) and then I saw this one. What did ya do with the rest of the family?....Laughing.gif

This one looks even better thumb.gifthumb.gif The other one looks like there was some harsh light coming from the right. It caused the left side of most of your subject's faces to be overly bright, IMHO. It's still there in this one, but reduced to the point where everyone's left side looks much better. And as mentioned, even the darn dog is looking into the lens....Laughing.gif

Good work clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited September 21, 2005
    Thanks ginger. My only problem with this photo is the angle I am standing at. Even my dh has pointed out it is less than flattering! I'm still going to print it, because trust me getting the 5 of us together in one space without bickering is a real feat!

ann

ginger_55 wrote:
    Ann, I love that picture. It is a classic as a family portrait, IMO. All the women are beautiful and the men are handsome. The backdrop is wonderful and there is a dog..............

Very good looking family! (Does you husband have his hand on the dog's collar?)rolleyes1.gif . I recognize the look.:D

ginger
    Thanks, Erich. I wanted to take these shots in a wheat field, but we barely caught the last of the sun before it went into the river valley, so we grabbed the trees instead.

ann
    erich6 wrote:
    This is a nice portrait Ann! Good exposure and nice setting. Your family looks great. Lots of happy faces!

Erich
    Hehe, I kicked them out! Too uptight! Actually, I need to do that one again when my sister (mom of the extra teenage boy) is in town. She has moved to Ft. McMurray and her boy lives with my parents.

I wonder if the difference you note is
    1. the other was 5 minutes earlier and probably had some real sunlight in it. (Had wanted to have everyone facing into the setting light but the grasses prevented being able to see Kelso, so picked a different angle)

2. the other one was more aggressively PPd - curves and saturation over raw conversion of changing ec. Both had the saturation bumped. Just cannot stop that!!!

ann

Laughing.gif Ann,
    I just got done commenting on your other family shot (add pitchfork) and then I saw this one. What did ya do with the rest of the family?....Laughing.gif

This one looks even better thumb.gifthumb.gif The other one looks like there was some harsh light coming from the right. It caused the left side of most of your subject's faces to be overly bright, IMHO. It's still there in this one, but reduced to the point where everyone's left side looks much better. And as mentioned, even the darn dog is looking into the lens....Laughing.gif

Good work clap.gif

Steve
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 22, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hehe, I kicked them out! Too uptight!

2. the other one was more aggressively PPd - curves and saturation over raw conversion of changing ec. Both had the saturation bumped. Just cannot stop that!!!

ann
    Laughing.gif Ann,
    At least you didn't bury them somewhere :yikes (as I'd like to do to a few relatives lol3.gif )

As far as adding saturation, it's our photographic upbringing that's to blame ne_nau.gif Those of us that used that darned Dark Angel are pretty well ruined for life color-wise rolleyes1.gif I find myself using a Velvia/Provia action (@20-30%, blended normal @ 80%) layer on most of my pics with scenery in the frame. Even for portrait/group shots like yours.

Well we may be ruined, but no one will ever accuse us of posting drab or flat shots.....Laughing.gif

Steve

PS; if you don't have the Velvia/Provia action in your post processing toolbox, you can find it here. I have mixed feelings about giving you this link. I'm thinking it may be akin to giving an alcoholic 5 shots of tequilla....Laughing.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    Ann McRae wrote:

ann
    Even the Dog appears to be smiling! beautiful family captured perfectlythumb.gif
  • VinceVince Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    Hi Ann.
    What lovely family you have mwink.gif .

Did you plan on printing this up and hanging it up, or was it just a photo for your archives?

Thanks for sharing.
    Vince from Toronto :rolleyes
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2005
    This shot is a natural for Dan Margulis' basic LAB recipe. See:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18308
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18763
    If not now, when?
    mmmmmm......tequila!:slurp

I'll have a look Steve! Thanks!

ann
    Trish323 wrote:
    Even the Dog appears to be smiling! beautiful family captured perfectlythumb.gif
    Thanks, Trish! Kelso always smiles.:D

ann
    Thank you Vince. Yes, when I get done editing it to my liking I will be printing it. Probably use it for Christmas cards too. Rare for us all to look 'good' at the same time.

ann
    Hi rutt... here is a different photo, same shoot, ran some curves adjustment on it...what do you think?

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18882

ann
    edited October 6, 2005
    Lynnma sent me some wonderful editing examples via pm.

So, here is my version of her suggestions - digital buttocks reduction surgery (I didn't get too carried away), some cloning of the open jacket. I did not attempt to remove the double chins.

And I also bumped the curves adjustment from the first.
    38935027-L.jpg

This one will be printed and hung on the wall, as well as used in this years Christmas cards.

ann
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Lynnma sent me some wonderful editing examples via pm.

So, here is my version of her suggestions - digital buttocks reduction surgery (I didn't get too carried away), some cloning of the open jacket. I did not attempt to remove the double chins.

And I also bumped the curves adjustment from the first.

This one will be printed and hung on the wall, as well as used in this years Christmas cards.

ann
    thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    Beautiful family Ann!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    Lovely again. It is bigger, though. lighter, too.

Soo, Lynn, tutorialclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif needed, Easy buttocks surgery!

What did you do with the jacket besides lighten it?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2005
    Love how you have flowers in front
    and matching leaf colors in the background!

I'm always "fixing" my teeth, and giving everyone a digital tooth whitening!

But hey, by all means do a "butt" fix -- they do a lot more for "fashion" models, I'm sure!