Options

BIG monitor time

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited September 26, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
OK, when I quit my job recently I recieved a monster of a payout check for my remaining vacation time. I want to get a really good monitor for editing pictures and was looking at 24 inch flat screens. I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations on good ones. I have looked at the Dell and HP ones.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    OK, when I quit my job recently I recieved a monster of a payout check for my remaining vacation time. I want to get a really good monitor for editing pictures and was looking at 24 inch flat screens. I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations on good ones. I have looked at the Dell and HP ones.

i have a friend who got the dell 24- it had some really wierd banding going on, never could calibrate it right.

nikolai uses these - check w/ him if he's getting better results.

i'm really happy with apple 23" cinema display.

i'm moving this to the photofinish, gear forum.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    I do:-)
    andy wrote:
    nikolai uses these - check w/ him if he's getting better results.
    I posted some shots of it here. Initial specs are here. I upgraded the wireless and graphics card, but other than that it's still pretty much an original configuration. I like the wide monitor, very comfortable for PS work:-)

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    You'll want to buy this one.
  • Options
    Khaos wrote:
    You'll want to buy this one.

Why? It got only so-so review:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_f2304/4505-3174_7-30871933.html

The Dell got better reviews:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_UltraSharp_2405FPW/4505-3174_7-31335738.html

Not saying "YOU'RE WRONG" Just wondering what is good about it. I just want to buy a darn good monitor to edit on
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    I've been happy with my ViewSonic VP201b. There's a newer version out which is wide screen as well: ViewSonic VP231WB
    Chris
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    One thing I have to say..
    Esp. if I you didn't have prior experience with large LCD monitors:
    "TEST THE TEXT!".

They may all look pretty showing professionally prepared images of beautiful vistas or dazzling powerpoint presentations.

But the real test is how they display the text.

I'm nost saying that color accuracy is unimportant, but all other things being equal, TEXT (especially small-to-normal font size range) accuracy is numero uno.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    I have been checking out the Viewsonic 23" display and that is looking REALLY impressive
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,185 moderator
    PCWorld also liked the ViewSonic 23". nod.gif

However, never ever trust what PCWorld says about cameras or imaging software. :nah

The ViewSonic doesn't have all the frills that the Dell FPW2405 seems to have, but for TV, I'll watch a real TV. The Dell also seems to have some problems being too bright. And card readers are only $15 alone, so go for the superior imaging.

PCWorld should have a review on their site somewhere about the VS.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    TV is downstairs so I can get stuff done upstairs so I don't need that

Already have a reader for cards

David_S85 wrote:
    PCWorld also liked the ViewSonic 23". nod.gif

However, never ever trust what PCWorld says about cameras or imaging software. :nah

The ViewSonic doesn't have all the frills that the Dell FPW2405 seems to have, but for TV, I'll watch a real TV. The Dell also seems to have some problems being too bright. And card readers are only $15 alone, so go for the superior imaging.

PCWorld should have a review on their site somewhere about the VS.
  • Options
    limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    I would opt for the Apple display myself, but being constrained by price I opted for the 2005FPW 21" wide (at less than $500, how could I not?). It performs much better after using the Spyder2 to calibrate it, but it was not too far from how I had it eyeballed. In any case, the 24" dell is probably the best value in BIG screens at the moment.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    BBones wrote:
    If you have the space you may want to take a look at the LaCie electron 22blue.

Sam
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    Accept no substitute!
    There's only one way to go for me. I can't see the point in compromising. I'm saving my pennies for a 30" Apple Cinema Display.
  • Options
    oh yeah....I use a PC to edit, not a Mac
  • Options
    BBones wrote:
    oh yeah....I use a PC to edit, not a Mac
    While the Cinema Displays are indeed a beautiful piece of work, many of their settings are done through their proprietary OS, which the PC platform can't access.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    David_S85 wrote:
    While the Cinema Displays are indeed a beautiful piece of work, many of their settings are done through their proprietary OS, which the PC platform can't access.
    That is what I have heard so (unfortunately) I will be sticking with something more "common" like the Viewsonic 23" or the Dell monitor. The LaCie will take up too much real estate on my desk and a large monitor is far more important to me then redecorating my office to get me more space for a monitor.
  • Options
    Well, whichever monitor you go with, do report back here to let us know how it's all working. And which video card you've got, and whether it can control all aspects of the monitor (gamma, color temp., etc...).

I'm looking at the VS 23" myself, but haven't found a retailer around here that has one in stock to look at as yet.

BBones wrote:
    That is what I have heard so (unfortunately) I will be sticking with something more "common" like the Viewsonic 23" or the Dell monitor. The LaCie will take up too much real estate on my desk and a large monitor is far more important to me then redecorating my office to get me more space for a monitor.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    BBones wrote:
    Why? It got only so-so review:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_f2304/4505-3174_7-30871933.html

The Dell got better reviews:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_UltraSharp_2405FPW/4505-3174_7-31335738.html

Not saying "YOU'RE WRONG" Just wondering what is good about it. I just want to buy a darn good monitor to edit on
    Do yourself a huge favor and don't rely on cnet for reviews, especially if you are looking high end. Read what their editors write. Rookies and they admit it. If I wanted to ask my neighbor who couldn't realy tell quality but "knows what he likes," I would then use cnet for review fodder.

The monitor I linked to got Maximum PC's Kick Ass rating. This is the same magazine that gave Smug Mug a Kick Ass rating and the reason I joined.

Their reviews are highly respected by computer geeks as is the magazine.
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2005
    Ok, due to some massive savings I get through my new job I went with the HP, I should be getting it tomorrow. How much does a Spyder go for and is it worth it on an LCD?
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    Ok, due to some massive savings I get through my new job I went with the HP, I should be getting it tomorrow. How much does a Spyder go for and is it worth it on an LCD?
    I can't help you there, but please post back when you get it. I personally use Adobe gamma correction with my monitor set at the sRGB color space. I have not noticed any difference with prints I received from smug mug and a local lab compared to what I see on the monitor.
  • Options
    GuillermoGuillermo Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 26, 2005
    Dell 2405 . . .
    I recently purchased a new dell 2505 and yes, as delivered it is way toooo bright - but after adjusting it . . . WOW, simply fantastic for Photoshop work. Printing on an Epson 1280 and what I see is what I get.

Best $900 I've spent in a loong time.

BTW, the one that shipped with my Dimension 9100 was defective and Dell shipped me a new one overnight. So far, so good (other than the pain in the . . . to re-calibrate)

Strongly recomend it.