My Personal Favorite Of 2010

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited January 24, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I'm one very fortunate fellow. On a fairly routine basis, I get to see and photograph some of the most extraordinary automobiles ever produced. They come from many varied quarters: the U.S., the U.K., Germany, France, Italy. Some are so beautiful they tend to mesmerize you. Some are engineering marvels that take your breath away. Some are so strange as to be compelling in their own unique way. Collectively, they represent the pinnacle in automotive achievement over the ages and act as an expression of man's dreams and desires.

It was a very tough call, but my favorite of 2010 follows. The artistry of its design, the talent and set of skills necessary to create it, and the way it speaks to you are nothing short of magnificent. When I first posted these shots, I wrote a little blurb about the car. If you would like to know about this vehicle, Google up " 1948 Norman Timbs Special ".

811087717_PnwNs-XL.jpg

811087892_yeYK3-XL.jpg

811088215_nBTVj-XL.jpg

811088036_2uskq-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    That is a beautiful car! Love the flowing lines in shot 1!

Kris
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    mud390 wrote: »
    That is a beautiful car! Love the flowing lines in shot 1!

Kris

Thanks for looking in, Kris. The skill it took to do the metal fabrication on this car defies belief.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    Talk about aerodynamics! :D Thank you very much for sharing, Tom! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    Howdy Tom,

What a stunning piece of Art, I remember you posting it and thinking
    how could they ever work metal like that, talk about Craftsmanship
    Extraordinaire.

Very nicely captured to show all it's wonderful curves and lines.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited January 22, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Talk about aerodynamics! :D Thank you very much for sharing, Tom! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

You got that right, Jiro. Just think about that....this car was built in 1948 and probably never saw a wind tunnel. Thanks for looking in.

Take care,

Tom
    edited January 22, 2011
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

What a stunning piece of Art, I remember you posting it and thinking
    how could they ever work metal like that, talk about Craftsmanship
    Extraordinaire.

Very nicely captured to show all it's wonderful curves and lines.

Yo Craig,

I once tried my hand at doing a little metal fabricating. Didn't take long to realize my talents rested elsewhere. I'm flabbergasted that the body work on this thing was done so perfectly.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    I want one!

This car is stunningly beautiful. It would be very interesting to see how aerodynamic this is compared to modern autos. If you own this puppy it shouldn'e be too difficult to make it happen.

I would love to have an opportunity to photograph this Car....without the damn people!

Sam
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    I remember this from the first time you showed it. I think the guy who pounded out the aluminum was Emile Diedt, who built a lot of stuff in the 30s and 40s.....

Interesting pick, you had so many to choose from..... clap.gif :Dgary
    edited January 22, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    I want one!

This car is stunningly beautiful. It would be very interesting to see how aerodynamic this is compared to modern autos. If you own this puppy it shouldn't be too difficult to make it happen.

I would love to have an opportunity to photograph this Car....without the damn people!

Sam

Hey Sam,

It's good to hear from you.

Norman Timbs was no stranger to sleek auto design. Prior to designing this car, he had worked on a number of Indianapolis type race cars. Two cars that influenced him greatly when he was penning the final design to this car were the Auto Union Type C and the Mercedes-Benz W25....both striking Grand Prix race cars. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mercedes had seen some " air " time in a wind tunnel.

The hoards of people I have to deal with at these shows is the source of my greatest frustrations. But, it is what it is and I've learned to deal with it.....as best I can.

Tom
    edited January 22, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    I remember this from the first time you showed it. I think the guy who pounded out the aluminum was Emile Diedt, who built a lot of stuff in the 30s and 40s.....

Interesting pick, you had so many to choose from..... clap.gif :Dgary

Hey Gary,

You're absolutely right as to the guy who shaped all the body aluminum.

You have no idea how long and hard I agonized over this selection as my choice for the favorite of the year. As you are well aware, the list of contenders consisted of some of the very finest cars ever conceived and constructed. Frankly, I could have been very satisfied in picking any one of 20 or so of the top candidates. The winner here is certainly not the most expensive, or the most mechanically challenging, of those I considered. But I couldn't get it out of my mind and kept coming back to it. It's a very worthy selection.

Take care,

Tom
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Hi Tom,
    This car is gorgeous with all those curves!

I like that third shot too (the face) it almost gives it a personality.

I don't know how you picked a favorite either, I now you have an extensive collection.

Liz
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited January 23, 2011
    Hi Tom,
    This car is gorgeous with all those curves!

I like that third shot too (the face) it almost gives it a personality.

I don't know how you picked a favorite either, I now you have an extensive collection.

Liz

Thanks for taking a look, Liz. I remember a few car shots you showed us one time. But, then, you sort of drifted off to the S+PJ scene. I think that's where your heart is and I also think your environment has a lot to do with the kind of shooting you do. You've really progressed into a first-rate shooter and I'd personally like to see more work from you not so centered to the S+PJ scene. I'm probably just being selfish.....wanting to see your talents spread around more.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Never seen a car like this before. Certainly different looking.
    edited January 24, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Never seen a car like this before. Certainly different looking.

Well, as they say, Mary.....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can't deny that it's different looking. It was obviously intended to be a design study and an exercise in creating automotive art. What impressed me the most was the recognition of the myriad skills and talents that were brought together to actually make this car. In my book, it is an astounding achievement.

Take care,

Tom
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Pretty car, but how would you like to have to parallel park it?
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Well, as they say, Mary.....beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can't deny that it's different looking. It was obviously intended to be a design study and an exercise in creating automotive art. What impressed me the most was the recognition of the myriad skills and talents that were brought together to actually make this car. In my book, it is an astounding achievement.

Take care,

Tom

I agree with you on the many talents that were needed to bring this car together. It is amazing ...
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 24, 2011
    Amazing. In 2002 it was auctioned off for $17,600, needing restoration. I'll bet that turned out to be a pretty good investment. Wonder what it's worth today...