View from Queens and the 7 train

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited January 25, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Evening all,
It's been a while, but I really felt like posting this one.
I hope you like it--C&C welcomed.
Taken with my Oly E620 and 50mm.

question--how to get rid of those weird halos, it happens often with my 50mm in low light.
1154169397_crRDv-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    Like the shot...and the halos. :D
  • oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    I agree.....I don't think the halos detract in the least.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Thank you both. Glad the shot still works :D.
    But do you know what causes the halos--I get it often at night and don't know how to get rid of them, or better yet, avoid them.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Hey Liz,

Boy, it's great to see you on our side of the fence again. You don't make it over here near enough. But I scoot over to S + PJ enough to keep up with you and see how you're doing.

I like this shot. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue as to the cause of the halos. I don't find them objectionable here but, if they pop up on a routine basis, I probably would. Some techie will probably have an answer for you.

Come grace us with your presence more often, please,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 23, 2011
    Thank you both. Glad the shot still works :D.
    But do you know what causes the halos--I get it often at night and don't know how to get rid of them, or better yet, avoid them.
    I don't mind them either. Do you have a UV filter on the lens? Bad stuff happens frequently when using a filter at night.
  • bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    I don't mind them either. Do you have a UV filter on the lens? Bad stuff happens frequently when using a filter at night.

That's what I was thinking. The way that you actually get a larger halo and a smaller one is consistent with multiple reflections between the filter and the lens element.

Are there any conditions you know of where you can consistently get the halos? Like, a particular convenient location at a particular time of day? Then you could take some shots with and without as an experiment.
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    Howdy Liz,

Wonderful shot, has that Old Film era feel to it.

Love seeing big Cities like that at Night.

Don't mind the halo's at all.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited January 23, 2011
    Hey Liz,

Boy, it's great to see you on our side of the fence again. You don't make it over here near enough. But I scoot over to S + PJ enough to keep up with you and see how you're doing.

I like this shot. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue as to the cause of the halos. I don't find them objectionable here but, if they pop up on a routine basis, I probably would. Some techie will probably have an answer for you.

Come grace us with your presence more often, please,

Tom

Thank you Tom and for keeping up with me. Yes "street/pj" is definately in my blood now--like a disease rolleyes1.gif. I do sometimes need to shake out of that fog and shoot other things, specially if I get into a slump.

I don't shoot at night often, it's out of my comfort zone, but I was happy with how this turned out.

Thanks again Tom. I'll keep posting, I do miss it here.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited January 23, 2011
    Richard wrote: »

Richard and BBjones--yes I shoot with a protective filter!
    It's my most prized lens--a zuiko 50mm and I baby it.

It only happens when it's dark. I will try again without the filter.
    I had completely forgotten it was even there.

thank you!
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited January 23, 2011
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Liz,

Wonderful shot, has that Old Film era feel to it.

Love seeing big Cities like that at Night.

Don't mind the halo's at all.

HI Craig:)
    I love film too--so much so I just started shooting it gain (what a debacle!).

I'm glad the halos work here, but I'm also glad I discovered their source. Nothing worse then halos on a child's face reflected from birthday candles.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 23, 2011
    Richard and BBjones--yes I shoot with a protective filter!
    It's my most prized lens--a zuiko 50mm and I baby it.

It only happens when it's dark. I will try again without the filter.
    I had completely forgotten it was even there.

thank you!

Lose the filter but use a hood for protection. deal.gif
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    This looks like something out of a magazine! Very nice in black and white.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Nice one Liz. I can really feel the night. Its so vivid black and very expressive with elements. thumb.gif

Richard brings up an important point about the UV Filter and its potential to cause points of light to do many odd things. Such as this. Consider also
    that the same/similar thing can happen using very wide lens openings and no UV filter. Then add to it that having the UV on might compound things a bit by bouncing a bit of that light once again between itself and the front lens element by just being one more piece of glass in the light path. Or
    something like that :D Its an optics function thingy.
    Michael
    edited January 24, 2011
    Eia wrote: »
    This looks like something out of a magazine! Very nice in black and white.

Thank you very much Eia!
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited January 24, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    Nice one Liz. I can really feel the night. Its so vivid black and very expressive with elements. thumb.gif

Richard brings up an important point about the UV Filter and its potential to cause points of light to do many odd things. Such as this. Consider also
    that the same/similar thing can happen using very wide lens openings and no UV filter. Then add to it that having the UV on might compound things a bit by bouncing a bit of that light once again between itself and the front lens element by just being one more piece of glass in the light path. Or
    something like that :D Its an optics function thingy.

Thanks DaddyO:)

Funny how I never really paid attention to the filters before, but I hardly did night shooting before. Still learning everyday.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Very nice shot Liz. I don't find the halos to be a problem, like the others have already mentioned.

One question though, what f-stop did you use? For a shot like this, I would have stopped the lens down to about f/11 or f/16 to get starburst patterns from the lights. I wonder if that would have helped with the halos?

EDIT:

I checked out the shot on your Smug page and now see you shot this at f/2.5... almost, if not wide open. Is there a reason you shot this so wide? Maybe because of the low light? Again, I'm thinking that may have caused or at least contributed to the halos. Try stopping down the lens next time. You'll have to find something to brace your camera on but you get a much better shot. DOF will be increased which is what you want with a situation like this and you'll get some nice stars from all the lights.

Just a thought.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited January 24, 2011
    Very nice shot Liz. I don't find the halos to be a problem, like the others have already mentioned.

One question though, what f-stop did you use? For a shot like this, I would have stopped the lens down to about f/11 or f/16 to get starburst patterns from the lights. I wonder if that would have helped with the halos?

EDIT:

I checked out the shot on your Smug page and now see you shot this at f/2.5... almost, if not wide open. Is there a reason you shot this so wide? Maybe because of the low light? Again, I'm thinking that may have caused or at least contributed to the halos. Try stopping down the lens next time. You'll have to find something to brace your camera on but you get a much better shot. DOF will be increased which is what you want with a situation like this and you'll get some nice stars from all the lights.

Just a thought.

Hi Cuban,
    I rarely shoot at night. I think this is my first attempt at shooting anything with a slow shutter speed at night.
    I did use this wideopen because of the low light but only after taking two other shots that didn't work so I was quickly experimenting.
    Also I did not want the light trails because I wanted almost a frozen shot. I didn't want this shot to be about the light trails because although pretty they are distracting--the only thing I wished I captured more movement on was the 7 train whooshing right past me, but I couldn't really pull it off.

Still very new to night shooting and I don't get too many chances to do it.

I will experiment further with apertures and nightshooting (hopefully soon). Thank ya.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Hi Cuban,
    I rarely shoot at night. I think this is my first attempt at shooting anything with a slow shutter speed at night.
    I did use this wideopen because of the low light but only after taking two other shots that didn't work so I was quickly experimenting.
    Also I did not want the light trails because I wanted almost a frozen shot. I didn't want this shot to be about the light trails because although pretty they are distracting--the only thing I wished I captured more movement on was the 7 train whooshing right past me, but I couldn't really pull it off.

Still very new to night shooting and I don't get too many chances to do it.

I will experiment further with apertures and nightshooting (hopefully soon). Thank ya.

Hmm... makes sense. You'd have to bump the ISO and I don't know what body you're using and how it handles high ISO so it sounds like your setting were on the money for the goal of your shot.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited January 24, 2011
    Hmm... makes sense. You'd have to bump the ISO and I don't know what body you're using and how it handles high ISO so it sounds like your setting were on the money for the goal of your shot.

For this an Olympus E620--Olympus has beautiful glass but their bodies are not known their ISO, specially my little E620, the D5 is much better, but still lagging behind the competition. The ISO is pretty much crappola w/ anything above ISO 800 is very noisy and though I have LR3 which is good for noise, it can only do so much.

But now I have a canon 5d with a 50mm lens, yeay :) and I will be able to experiment further.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Beautiful work Liz thumb.gif

Halos are fine too .. I actually like them in this shot, but can see why you wouldn't want them there either.
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    WOW!! Great image. Love the angle and B&W treatment.