Impromptu baby portraits

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 26, 2011 in People
C&C always appreciated!

While in Scotland (many pictures to come!), we stayed with friends with two kids and I, of course, couldn't resist pulling out the camera to try and sneak some candids. The older one - a 9yr old boy - was adept at spotting me so all I got were "Dinosaur Boy" pictures (ie goofy faces direct to camera), but this wee one just got on with playing and mostly ignored me, only occasionally giving me "I'm ready for my closeup" glances :D And boy, I'm impressed by you kid shooters - talk about "moving target"!!!

I got really lucky with these two - in colour the various background items were obtrusive (although blurred with DOF), but when I converted to a high contrast black and white the furniture mostly merged into a solid black bg. A bit of assistance with PS to clone out the remaining distractions and get it true black, and I was rather pleased with the results.

Whaddya think? (Sorry about the wide borders, but I want to get them printed up as gifts for our hostess and already set them up like this).

ALL C&C warmly welcomed (and particularly if you see any artefacting from the cloning or the processing looks off - I know I've pushed the highlights hard to keep the face and eyes as bright as I can)

Both taken with the 7d+50mm 1.4+ 430ex flash in the shoe and bounced.

1165451248_YuZsG-L.jpg

1165451277_GnzSd-L.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Anybody??! (Wow - I didn't think they were THAT bad rolleyes1.gif). Main thing is trying to make sure they look ok on other monitors - even if they're far from perfect baby pictures, I know the parents will love them so I want to have them done as a thank-you gift.

Thanks!! thumb.gif

PS Yes, her eyes are a slightly different size, emphasised because one of them is slightly swollen following a cold. I didn't realise how much that top shot emphasised it initially, but I do like her expression so I'll go ahead and keep it for now. If it's particularly obtrusive to people, I'll reconsider. Tx!
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    I liked them both but #2 is my favorite and yes any parent would love shots like these of their kids.

I am sorry I really don't have any criticism other than what you already pointed out in the first one.thumb.gif
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    The eye in the first one is distracting to me. Both in size and the difference in detail of the iris (I think the compound on each other).
    Expression is really wonderful, though!! thumb.gif.
    Second one is really cute. Love the carrot (or chalk) in the hand...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    I like viewing these with the clean, white matte especially since it's b&w. Maybe the larger eye in #1 would be less distracting if you dodged it slightly to bring out detail and match the other eye more closely. I have to admit it was the first thing I noticed. #2 is a real keeper. She looks like a scholar about to make a serious point! :D
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
    edited January 24, 2011
    Thanks guys - that's the kind of feedback I needed! thumb.gif I may have a crack at equalizing the eyes, but otherwise my quietly retire that one even though I really like the light and expression. They've already been pretty extensively dodged and burned so I'm not sure I can take it much further.

Thank you!! iloveyou.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Thanks guys - that's the kind of feedback I needed! thumb.gif I may have a crack at equalizing the eyes, but otherwise my quietly retire that one even though I really like the light and expression. They've already been pretty extensively dodged and burned so I'm not sure I can take it much further.

Thank you!! iloveyou.gif

Yes, you're right that #1 is an attractive photo - the look, the composition and the processing. #2 has these even moreso, plus I like the lighting better!

BTW she has a face that was born to wear a Scottish bonnet!:D

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 25, 2011
    So I'll quietly retire #1. In the meantime, worked up this one instead. Thoughts? I wish it were wider, but that's pretty much the in-camera crop, so it's what I gotz.

1167716857_Yp6Fr-L.jpg
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    I don't have much to say other than I do like itthumb.gifthumb
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Excellent! Like strawberries and cream! thumb.gif
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
    edited January 25, 2011
    Thanks guys! Now ordered and sent #2, the colour one, and the collage I did of the 9 year old boy being goofy (thanks to Elaine for the idea on that - I remember her posting one of her boy making faces that was AWESOME, so I ruthlessly pinched the idea :D). I LOVE being able to give photos thank-you's - it's kind of become my stock-in-trade when I stay with folks, and always seems to go down well.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Great job on the colour one!iloveyou.gif
    Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Ah...the color shot is FABULOUS...absolutely love it. clap.gif
    Chris Sowers