Canon battery grip screw stripped

scarysharkfacescarysharkface Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited April 9, 2011 in Cameras
So after a year and a half on the camera, when I went to unscrew the battery grip from my EOS 50D the screw wouldn't budge. I gripped it harder (fingers only) and gave it a good twist, it went "pop" and now spins freely. The BG-E2N is still firmly attached to the camera body, which is not the worst of all outcomes. I'm guessing my trips to the desert and to the maritimes without ever disassembling my setup have something to do with this.

How screwed am I, and what can I do?

Thanks,
John
Canon EOS 50D, Tamron 18-270mm and 10-24mm

Comments

• gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    A bit OT, but this is a good reason to NOT use the grip along with a RStrap. Eek!
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 23, 2011
    I'm not familiar with that particular grip but some battery/vertical grips have screws that allow disassembly and some folks have been able to disassemble the grip until they can get to the metal screw. Other folks have had to just break apart the grip until they could get to the metal screw.

Regardless how you get the grip off most have to discard the grip afterwards as I haven't heard of anyone getting a replacement screw. The part that generally breaks is the plastic head that is molded onto the metal screw. Unless you can get to that screw and head and find or machine a suitable replacement I think that the grip is a goner.

Leaving the grip on the camera as is will generally also work unless it happens to loosen up on its own.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    I've only read of this problem once or twice but it was always with the BG-E2N, IIRC I believe it was due to them changing the gear teeth to plastic.

The only remedy I've seen was one of the users somehow squeezed a saw blade in between the grip and body and had at it. The bottom of the body got fairly torn up and afterward he put in a new tripod socket, it was ugly but it did the job. If I were to go that route I'd use a coping saw with the finest blade I could get my hands on.
    gecko0 wrote: »
    A bit OT, but this is a good reason to NOT use the grip along with a RStrap. Eek!

eek7.gif
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    I'm a bit incredulous that the battery grip has to be trashed because of a stuck screw! They are not really what could be regarded as consumable throwaways, after all!ne_nau.gif

Camera gear is necessarily lightweight construction, it's not front end loader kind of stuff. It is not designed for force majeure kind of treatment. I think I would have tried a squirt of WD40 or equivalent, and/or put it in the freezer for 5min, and googled for ideas, and if no success called Canon and/or taken it to a camera shop.

But of course I speak in the hindsight of your experience.rolleyes1.gif And I understand that you needed it off now rather than later!

Hope you can save the grip with no great drama and cost. It seems like it could be a design flaw, in which case Canon have some responsibility, and this should be impressed on them.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • scarysharkfacescarysharkface Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    I surely wasn't trying so hard as to expect it to break, that's for sure.

What's the warranty on something like this? It's my only camera and I'd sure not enjoy sending it off. I would almost rather just hack-saw the battery grip unit in-two, and I don't want to do that either.

*sigh*

John
    edited January 23, 2011
    I surely wasn't trying so hard as to expect it to break, that's for sure.

What's the warranty on something like this? It's my only camera and I'd sure not enjoy sending it off. I would almost rather just hack-saw the battery grip unit in-two, and I don't want to do that either.

*sigh*

John

Yeah, true, and you might not have known that the threads are plastic.

S*** happens! The best solution is the one that saves your gear, I think.

Neil

• insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    gecko0 wrote: »

Can you elaborate?
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    Can you elaborate?

I was referring to previous discussions about attaching the RStrap (or any strap) to the tripod mount on a camera with a grip. I have done so, but stopped after thinking about it and also went with a safety tether for peace of mind. I know my comment was OT, but wanted to throw it out there in case people are still using a grip between the camera and a strap. :)
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
    edited January 23, 2011
    I was unfamiliar with the RStraps, so I just looked at their videos. Looks like a great setup, but I am inclined not to tempt fate to that degree (at least not with the camera)... ne_nau.gif
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    There are many way to remove a stripped screw. You may get a mechanic in the workshop to do it. Some solutions are available on the web also.

The screw can be replaced but need some modification. Get the stainless steel screw 6mm 20 threads. It is similar to the tripod head screw. I build some camera mounts with this specification.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Use a wire clipper to clip the plastic thumb screw on the grip in half on both sides. The two pieces of the thumb screw should be able to come out. Now, carefully use a small flat head screwdriver you should be able to see the brass gear that actually drives the screw that goes into the tripod socket on the camera. Use the screwdriver and a hammer, very lightly tap on the gear teeth to turn the gear, and that will turn the screw. There is a replacement part that can be gotten to fix the grip for much cheaper than the cost of a new grip. I do not have the link to it right here, but as soon as I can find it I will post it up.

This exact thing happened to me, and this was how I was able to get the grip of without a saw. It does destroy the screw part of the grip, but that can be replaced, and besides, the grip was already trashed anyways!

If you have any further questions about how this is done please feel free to ask and I will try to post up details.

Good Luck!
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    The metal screw is driven by the inner gear teeth on the plastic dial. Based on your description I think the teeth of the metal screw in contact with the plastic dial are stripped. I don't see how you can remove the grip without destroying it.:cry

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Okay I have the best solution!

Step 1: carefully place the camera on a solid surface, like a work bench.
    Step 2: Explore your nearest hardware store, consult with customer service for the highest quality hammer.
    Step 3: make sure you dawn some safety glasses, ear muffs, mouth guard and a safety vest for good measure, not for you, for your dog. (trust me, he'll need more than you)
    Step 4: Hit your camera with all your might, continuously with the high quality hammer you just acquired, until there is only dust particles of your camera left.
    Step 5: mix the dust of you camera into the dogs droppings, This is just in case your spouse doesn't believe you. See step 6.
    Step 6: Tactfully explain to your spouse that the dog ate the camera, and that you need money to buy a new camera of your choice. One that in durable enough that the dog can't eat.
    Trust me, this should work?:uhoh

:s85:ian:devbobo:thwak:grimdrums.gifspamDJ.gifgerg.giffish
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    I wonder if there's any possibility of drilling a small hole through the plastic part and into the metal portion of the screw. Locate the hole so that you have as much counter-clockwise (loosening) movement as possible. Then remove the drill bit from the drill, insert the back end of the bit into the hole, and use it as a lever to try and turn the knob loose (the uncut portion of the bit should be stronger; so try to use a drill bit that's the same thickness at both ends). Maybe also try spraying a small amount of WD40 or somesuch into the gap between the grip and body to try and get some lubricant on the threads. Maybe let sit for a couple of hours before trying to loosen.

FWIW, this thread will make me try and remove the battery grip from my camera so that I can put some anti-sieze on the bolt threads.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited January 26, 2011
    Rhuarc wrote: »
    Use a wire clipper to clip the plastic thumb screw on the grip in half on both sides. The two pieces of the thumb screw should be able to come out. Now, carefully use a small flat head screwdriver you should be able to see the brass gear that actually drives the screw that goes into the tripod socket on the camera. Use the screwdriver and a hammer, very lightly tap on the gear teeth to turn the gear, and that will turn the screw. There is a replacement part that can be gotten to fix the grip for much cheaper than the cost of a new grip. I do not have the link to it right here, but as soon as I can find it I will post it up.

This exact thing happened to me, and this was how I was able to get the grip of without a saw. It does destroy the screw part of the grip, but that can be replaced, and besides, the grip was already trashed anyways!

If you have any further questions about how this is done please feel free to ask and I will try to post up details.

Good Luck!

This I think I shall try. Thank you!

Canon tells me that it's not covered under warranty because I've had it longer than a year, so any repair would be at my expense anyway.

John
    edited January 26, 2011
    Here is a link to the replacement part you will need. I have not purchased this yet, but after looking at the messed up parts on mine it seems this would be able to fix it completely.

If you have any other questions please let me know!
    edited January 26, 2011
    Here is a link to the replacement part you will need. I have not purchased this yet, but after looking at the messed up parts on mine it seems this would be able to fix it completely.

If you have any other questions please let me know!

Ack. No link.
    edited January 26, 2011
    Ack. No link.

LoL, sorry, I forgot to paste the link after copying it!

http://www.uscamera.com/cg2_1365.htm
    edited January 26, 2011
    LoL, sorry, I forgot to paste the link after copying it!

http://www.uscamera.com/cg2_1365.htm

Thanks!
    edited January 26, 2011
    If you can get a bit of a case worked up with quotes to evidence that this is not a one-off phenomenon but a situation that occurs often enough not to be random and has similar results every time it occurs - and get past the first Canon service person who answers your call, then I think you should get a more sympathetic = responsible response.

In the meantime I'm happy to see there seems to be a way through the situation which will mean only replacing the screw.

Neil

edited January 28, 2011

Good Luck!
    Wendell has the best advice for this situation and I'd follow it. Please do document your repair attempt and share it with us. Good luck.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
    edited January 28, 2011
    Cuong wrote: »
    Wendell has the best advice for this situation and I'd follow it. Please do document your repair attempt and share it with us. Good luck.

Cuong

Surely you can appreciate the funny ironic nature of your post, since it's the only real camera I have! lol3.gif

John
    edited January 28, 2011
    Okay, so now I've completely the screwendectomy..

Pre-op:

1170334835_W7nKL-L.jpg

Dikes:

1170335691_pkevS-L.jpg

Well, that didn't work so well:

1170336486_iS5dA-L.jpg

Drill:

1170338209_hEkPv-L.jpg

Mo betterer:

1170337551_gmTmx-L.jpg

Followed it up with a bigger bit, then more snipping with the dikes (which was fruitless) then finally lightly inserting a deck screw and using it as leverage to break and pry out the pieces of plastic wheel:

1170339340_PHR6v-L.jpg

Not impressed:

1170340480_HrYnA-L.jpg

I tried tapping the gears to get it to loosen, but the one that interacts with the plastic wheel is oh-so soft and I didn't want to destroy it. Yet. I'll see if I can locate a pair of very flat pliers or somesuch and loosen it with those, probably tomorrow or the next day.

This is about enough to make me simply want to order one of those Chinese units with the elaborate timer functions and be done with it. *sigh*

Anyway, the idea of destroying the plastic wheel was a good one and ultimately this grip will be repairable with but a few dings and my bank account intact.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Otherwise happy camera:

1170341729_N7ejs-L.jpg

John
    edited January 28, 2011
    The one that interacts with the plastic wheel will get destroyed to get it off this way. It is included on the replacement piece that I linked to earlier.
    edited January 28, 2011
    The one that interacts with the plastic wheel will get destroyed to get it off this way. It is included on the replacement piece that I linked to earlier.

Excellent. I won't worry about it so much then.

John
    edited January 29, 2011
    Surely you can appreciate the funny ironic nature of your post, since it's the only real camera I have! lol3.gif

John
    Didn't mean to be ironically funny. I figured you have at least a cell phone that would do the job. Thanks for showing us how you did it.thumb.gif

Cuong
  • reflected97reflected97 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 9, 2011
    canon battery grip stripped out
    I have 40d battery grip stripped out, sent in to canon and they wanted$400.00 to fix it. Thats more than camera is worth
  • oakfieldphotography.comoakfieldphotography.com Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2011
    Its a pity that the plastic wheel could not be replaced with a metal one and this could solve the problem for good. I have a chinese battery grip and can feel play in the plastic wheel so it looks like i will have to modify this. I was thinking of stripping out both the plastic one and the other soft metal cog and replacing them with better metal replacements. Has anyone here ever heard of anyone doing this job?

Regards
    Patrick