Options

Białowieża National Park- European Bison

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited February 26, 2012 in Journeys
Just got back from 5 days in the Bialowieza National Park on the Polish-Belarussian border. The place has fantastic potential, but the weather was absolutely dreadful for photography. Usually it is about 20 below with clear skies and crisp air, and the animals of the park are forced to forage more widely for food. This week was just above freezing, so the whole place was shrouded in fog.

1166445834_PwpQv-L.jpg
Typical weather for the week

Also, our plans to cross over into the Belarus side of the park were foiled by a current diplomatic incident between Poland, Germany, and Belarus. The border wasn't exactly closed, but visas weren't forthcoming.

Bialowieza is one of the only remaining bits of the European primeval forest that used to stretch from the Urals to northern France. The current park covers about 40 square miles.

Unlike parks in the United States it is not possible to enter the strict reserve without a guide. Irritating, but understandable, as all it would take would be one idiot dropping a cigarette in hot weather to completely eliminate this unique biosphere, and the many species it hosts, such as the Wisent, or European Bison, of which about 3000 are left in the world. 400 or so are free ranging on the Polish side of the border, with another 600 on the Belarus side.

The forest's strict reserve is left alone as much as possible. As our guide put it "If a tree falls, it stays there. If a bison dies, it stays there. And if a tourist dies... they stay there." I think he was joking about the tourists.

1166369130_WF8eo-L.jpg
Inside the Strict Reserve

1166408049_H2yko-L.jpg
Konik, wild forest horses that resemble the extinct Tarpan

Due to the massive size of some of the trees, their age (many in the 400 year range) and the dense overhead canopy, the primeval forest isn't very densely grown at ground level.

1166417273_g67rK-L.jpg

Bialowieza is also a very wet forest, with a number of watercourses and marshy areas. During the summer the park supports over 250 species of birds, and within the first two hours I saw numerous examples of two species of woodpeckers. (Couldn't manage to nail a photo, although you hear them more or less constantly).

1166409686_5g6NA-L.jpg

1166418642_bWcAp-L.jpg

The only evidence we managed to obtain of the Bison the first day were footprints.

1166410928_CoxTX-M.jpg

1166397844_HXGFc-M.jpg

Later in the week we got luckier. I managed to see the back end of a Zubr (Bison) as it crossed the road in front of us, as well as a number of deer.

A mile or so later we came across a fox gnawing on some sort of object, said Fox dashing off into the undergrowth as soon as we came in view.

The object was a deer leg, which was still warm to the touch. Our guide stated that it must have been killed by wolves in the last 30 minutes or so, then scavenged by foxes. Wolves, however, are extremely hard to find. Our guide, a native of Bialowieza village, has been going into the park for more than thirty years, and has encountered them at close range only nine times.

That night, we headed out to an old freight rail station that has been converted into a restaurant, called Restauracja Carska. Bialowieza was once the private hunting reserve of the Polsh kings from the 15th century onwards, and the of the Tsars. This is one of the reasons why the primeval forest was not disturbed.

The food was excellent standard Polish and Russian fare.

1166432087_DQX5w-L.jpg

1166431069_LpDEp-M.jpg

1166425151_PgJWB-L.jpg

1166429493_CCWrH-M.jpg

1166436142_eBNwz-L.jpg

1166439607_7bZoH-M.jpg

The village itself hosts several charming inns, a Cerkev (orthodox church), a catholic church, and one graveyard where both Orthodox and Catholic Poles are buried together. Our guide was quite proud of this, as it is highly unusual in the Eastern Wall area of Poland.

1166444296_vhtQB-L.jpg

The Germans hung 90 villagers in the trees in front of the Cerkev during the German occupation, although they treated the actual forest relatively well. During the first world war they cut down about a third of it, and killed 600 of the Bison for meat.

1166443364_LAWZE-L.jpg
monument to executed villagers

The only other serious damage suffered was the fact that the giant palace of the Tsar was burned by Hungarian troops, on German orders, before the "liberation" of the area by the Red Army. Most villagers actually consider this fortunate, as had the palace survived then Stalin would likely have taken the whole forest for the Soviet Union as a personal dacha, rather than just taking half. (Before the war, Poland stretched hundreds of kilometers eastward into what is now Belarus and Ukraine).

Animals

1166477751_grGVD-L.jpg
Jelen

1166402284_jEJcq-L.jpg
Sleeping Boar Piglets

The Bison themselves remained elusive however, until we were driving back to Warsaw. On the edge of the park, some of the Zubr had emerged from the forest to gnaw on grass stalks sticking up from the snow. We disembarked, and I managed to get a few photos. Unfortunately, as our guide was not with us, I didn't know how safe the distance was, so I hung back, and the light was poor. In short, the photos kind of suck. Nevertheless, they are magnificent animals.

1166362944_Gt6hN-M.jpg

1166358740_6tJce-L.jpg

1166360477_Rthgb-L.jpg

1166356655_4XTm7-L.jpg

A group of German semi-professional photogs was also staying at our hotel, and said they had gotten special permission to go with the "Forest Guards" (kind fo like rangers) to the morning feeding of the Bison (hay is put out several times a week in the winter, as the forest isn't really large enough to support the herd in the winter). They saw 160 of them. Which is amazing, even more so when you consider that's about 3% of the total European Bison left on earth. I was quite jealous.

Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    bowdown.gif What an awesome trip to an awesome place! I like the weather, perhaps, as it lends exactly the kind of feel I expect from the Polish-Belarussian area. How'd you hear about/ get interested in this area? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    bowdown.gif What an awesome trip to an awesome place! I like the weather, perhaps, as it lends exactly the kind of feel I expect from the Polish-Belarussian area. How'd you hear about/ get interested in this area? ear.gif

An offhand comment in a history book I read a few years ago which mentioned the primeval forest that hairy, uncouth, warlike Germans would swarm out of and assualt the Romans. It mentioned that a bit of it still existed in Poland, so I checked it out on Wikipedia. Then I was like "Bison, in Europe?" I was even more interested when I discovered that they weren't transplanted Buffalo, but a different species. Also, the forest looked all evil and creepy in the photos, as it did in real life. Despite the fact that it is only 40 square miles, you can get lost in it.
  • Options
    chickendropchickendrop Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Excellent set and details! I agree, the weather gave a great feel to your photos. I've spent a bit of time in Poland but I've never been to or even heard of this area. How long were you there? Again, great photos!
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Just in case you're interested there is a large Bison park in France too - we visited one time many years ago
    http://www.bisoneurope.com/

Not to mention a wolf park nearby too (if I remember rightly... yes just checked google maps - around 30mins apart)
    http://www.loupsdugevaudan.com/

thanks for the photos - I love seeing the big creatures :D
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2011
    I'm bumping this because I have a renewed, obsessive desire to photograph the "perfect" forest and I am convinced that the Belovezhskaya Pushcha NP is The One.

Even on the Polish side, you must pre-arrange a guide to take you in at all times? Is it much busier in the spring and fall? How difficult is it to arrange a private excursion with the forest guards? In the absence of diplomatic snafus, is it difficult for a US citizen to get entrance into Belarus through the Poland/Belarus border? (The research I have been doing doesn't make it seem much more complicated than it would be for Ukraine, which is not to say simple, but...)

Been thinking about going through Lithuania, but am still researching the options.
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2011
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    schmoo wrote: »
    I'm bumping this because I have a renewed, obsessive desire to photograph the "perfect" forest and I am convinced that the Belovezhskaya Pushcha NP is The One.

Even on the Polish side, you must pre-arrange a guide to take you in at all times? Is it much busier in the spring and fall? How difficult is it to arrange a private excursion with the forest guards? In the absence of diplomatic snafus, is it difficult for a US citizen to get entrance into Belarus through the Poland/Belarus border? (The research I have been doing doesn't make it seem much more complicated than it would be for Ukraine, which is not to say simple, but...)

Been thinking about going through Lithuania, but am still researching the options.

Sorry Schmoo, I totally missed your question, but am thinking about going back to the park, and came across it just now. BTW, if you want to visit, I would love to accompany you.

You don't really have to pre-arrange a guide, at least not in the winter. I went to the office by the bridge, and asked if I could have an English speaking guide the next day. No problem- it was completely painless. Also, it wasn't expensive (30 euros or so for 4 hours, IIRC.)

Getting into the Belarussian side will cost you $100 for a visa, or so, but isn't usually difficult, if there haven't been recent criticisms by the West of Belarus, which raises their hackles.

At the moment, I am considering whether to go again in the winter, or in the fall. Let me know if you are planning to go.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2012
    Hey Ryan! Been wondering how you and the missus have been doing. I haven't forgotten this trip, that's for sure. If anything after we last caught up I've been more interested than ever to returning to the eastern end of Europe. And snow. Man, I miss snow.

As long as you don't plan on leaving the continent anytime in the next several months, I'll hit you up on your offer. I would like nothing more than to explore and catch up. thumb.gif

Thanks for the info! The challenge of Americans getting visas to certain countries only adds to the exquisite flavor.
  • Options
    LornceLornce Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Absolutely beautiful.

Had no idea there were bison in Europe.

Thank you.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    SparkyphotographySparkyphotography Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    2nd shot and sleeping boars are my fav!!!!