The Basha Kill - Winter Scene HDR

Jason HermannJason Hermann Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
edited January 24, 2011 in Landscapes
Michele and I stopped at the Basha Kill Wildlife preserve on the way home a few days ago. It was freezing but I really liked the amber lighting conditions and brilliant blue sky. So I suited up and grabbed my Canon 5D Mark II and Michele's 40D so I could shoot and film what I was doing so I could share with you all. Unfortunately the footage did not come outsad.gif However, the images did off the 40D did, so check out the 3 exposure's below. I probably could have gotten away with +1,0,-1, but I went for the 2-stop range of -2,0,+2 instead.

Exif:
Canon 40D
Canon 17-40 f/4 L @ 19mm, f/8, -2, 0, +2

110116_091.jpg
Exp Comp +2
110116_090.jpg
Exp Comp 0
110116_089.jpg
Exp Comp -2

I then put these three exposure's together to create an HDR composite using Photomatix Pro, launching directly from Adobe Lightroom 3. After working the exposure's in Photomatix Pro I save out the file and it re-imported to Lightroom. I then launched Adobe Photoshop CS5 and worked the colors and contrast a bit. I then fixed the dust in the sky and called it a day wink.gif

Here is the resulting HDR Photograph:

110116_089_90_91.jpg

I really didn't care for the shadows on the bottom of the image as although sorta cool, because it's me, it takes away from the image in my opinion. So to make this composition stronger I decided to play with the crop a bit. I was thinking some kind of panoramic like this:

110116_089_90_91_pano.jpg

Best,
Jay

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    You did a nice job with the HDR on this Jay
    It's interesting because I had an email discussion with a guy who does tons of HDR prior to a winter/snow shoot and he cautioned me on tonemapping images with snow. He noted they often leave the snow looking 'dirty'. Looks like the HDR did give a bit of a gray tint to the ice/snow as well as the clouds. I usually push highlight smoothing to 100 to rid the clouds of that effect and it may work well here for the clouds and ice.
    I think I would have left a bit more of the foreground as well to lead the eye along the ice to the mountains in the background.
    Thanks for sharing
    E

If you liked my comment/critique, please consider reviewing my recent post - link
    This is something new I'm trying ne_nau.gif
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Agree regarding the crop. The only thing that I don't like is the clouds. Either they're oversharpened or that's the effect of tone mapping.

Good work.
  • Jason HermannJason Hermann Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Thanks for the comments guys :)

E, Your friend is right about the snow, but that is only if you process them in a grungy fashion. I never really do that these days though. It all depends on how you process the raw files in the end. Good call on the crop, I'll try a 1:2.5 instead ;)

Thanks Blackwood ;) Yeah, the clouds are hdr'd.

Jay
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    I agree with the tighter crop but I'm wondering if you went too far. I really like the leading line you get from the cracked ice. I wonder how it would look if you cropped just above the shadow.