Critique wanted

gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited September 21, 2005 in Sports
Good or Bad, these are from my second attempt at motorbike racing shot in raw, I am wondering if i need a faster shutter speed

Taken with 10D 70-200 F4L and 1.4x
1. F9.5 iso 400/ 246mm/ 1/250

36520483-M.jpg

2. F9.5 /iso 400/ 280mm/1/250400/ 280mm/1/250

36520509-M.jpg

3. same as above

36520498-M.jpg

Thanks for looking
Gary

Comments

• BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2005
    Bikes
    gsgary wrote:
    Good or Bad, these are from my second attempt at motorbike racing shot in raw, I am wondering if i need a faster shutter speed

Taken with 10D 70-200 F4L and 1.4x
    2. F9.5 /iso 400/ 280 1/250
    3. same as above

36520498-M.jpg

Thanks for looking
    Gary

Hi Gary,

Your shots look fine at 1/250.
    You could try anything from 1/60(or slower) to 1/500 and see from the results what you prefer from within these settings.

I'd shoot faster first to get my eye in sync. then try slower settings if you feel confident that your panning is accurate.

I think you could work on your shots a bit more in post. I've messed about for only a few seconds(hope u don't mind I'll delete in a week or so) but think you could bring out more colour.
    What do you think?
    bike001.jpg

I was out at a National Grasstrack Championship on Sunday shooting a 200mm +1.4 so 280mm at between 1/100 and 1/320 at anything between f5.6 to f11 at iso 100 and later 200 as it got darker.

I shot this for example at 280mm f7.1 1/200 iso200.
    North05-74-web001.jpg

Hope I've mumbled something usefull...

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2005
    Yes it looks good i'm not up to speed on photoshop only been into photography for about 6 months and only with a DSLR for about 7 weeks will try and do better next time

Gary
    Bodwick wrote:
    Hi Gary,

You could try anything from 1/60(or slower) to 1/500 and see from the results what you prefer from within these settings.

I'd shoot faster first to get my eye in sync. then try slower settings if you feel confident that your panning is accurate.

I think you could work on your shots a bit more in post. I've messed about for only a few seconds(hope u don't mind I'll delete in a week or so) but think you could bring out more colour.
    What do you think?
    bike001.jpg

I was out at a National Grasstrack Championship on Sunday shooting a 200mm +1.4 so 280mm at between 1/100 and 1/320 at anything between f5.6 to f11 at iso 100 and later 200 as it got darker.

North05-74-web001.jpg

Bod.
    Yes it looks better, i'm not up to speed with photoshop yet only been into photography for about 6 months and only had a DSLR for about 7 weeks
    Gary
    Bodwick wrote:
    Hi Gary,

What do you think?
    bike001.jpg

North05-74-web001.jpg

Bod.
  • luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    Hi Gary,

Nice work, and you're panning results are better than mine. A question for you...How do you find the 70-200 F4 with the TC? I plan to get the L lens but unsure on getting a TC for it.
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
    I find it ok but then i'm not very good yet
    luckydog wrote:
    Hi Gary,

Nice work, and you're panning results are better than mine. A question for you...How do you find the 70-200 F4 with the TC? I plan to get the L lens but unsure on getting a TC for it.
  • ltdesignphotovideoltdesignphotovideo Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    I think your shots are right on. I've seen some of your other work around the forums and definitely think you have a natural talent for photography. I think once you get a handle on Photoshop and post processing, you'll be a hard one to beat. Great work. thumb.gif
    :drums
    Lindsay Thompson
    www.grafxcreative.com
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    Hi Gary,

The panning shots are great. Re post processing, I was dragged kicking and screaming into the pp world. You don't need to do a lot to the pics at the start. Photoshop elements 3 is a reasonably priced package. Most pics of bikes, in my very humble opinion, need extra saturation. Bikers wear colourful leathers and if you do an auto levels and up saturation by 10-15%, and add a small bit of sharpening you should have a pic that you can see the difference in.

here's an example:

original pic:

36860784-L.jpg

the most recent version, cropped. I did a levels and added 5% contrast, 15% or so saturation, a bit of sharpening.

36810582-L.jpg

I am an absolute amateur at photoshop and they look fairly decent. I really would encourage you to use some form of photoshop, your pics won't stand out without a little bit of work. This forum is fantastic for help, if you get stuck ask for help. someone will always assist.
    edited September 21, 2005
    Thanks Lindsay your comments have given me a real boost thumb.gif
    I think your shots are right on. I've seen some of your other work around the forums and definitely think you have a natural talent for photography. I think once you get a handle on Photoshop and post processing, you'll be a hard one to beat. Great work. thumb.gif
    edited September 21, 2005
    Thanks Seamus

I do use elements 2, but these were shot in raw and after converting them which took me forever i uploaded them without trying photoshop i will have a go on some of them
    Seamus wrote:
    Hi Gary,

The panning shots are great. Re post processing, I was dragged kicking and screaming into the pp world. You don't need to do a lot to the pics at the start. Photoshop elements 3 is a reasonably priced package. Most pics of bikes, in my very humble opinion, need extra saturation. Bikers wear colourful leathers and if you do an auto levels and up saturation by 10-15%, and add a small bit of sharpening you should have a pic that you can see the difference in.

here's an example:

original pic:

36860784-L.jpg

the most recent version, cropped. I did a levels and added 5% contrast, 15% or so saturation, a bit of sharpening.

36810582-L.jpg

I am an absolute amateur at photoshop and they look fairly decent. I really would encourage you to use some form of photoshop, your pics won't stand out without a little bit of work. This forum is fantastic for help, if you get stuck ask for help. someone will always assist.