Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #69 (Unique or Ordinary)

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited February 8, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #69

Welcome to Round #69 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.
It will run from Monday, January 24, 10:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, February 7, 10:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The topic ready for your interpretation: Unique or Ordinary

It is up to you how you define what each of the words mean to you as an image. Use your creativity to communicate the theme without having to use a title that uses the word. Only use one theme or the other. Do not combine the two words into one image. Show us something unique or ordinary!

There are no editing restrictions in this round.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your main EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules, there have been some recent modifications

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    My uniquely creative mind has already generated a couple of ordinary ideas. :D
  • Options
    Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »

Wish mine would! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011

rolleyes1.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Yeah - I like this one! I was stumped for about 5 hours, then I got my idea. The trick is to pull it off with cooperation.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    kwickerskwickers Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    I am still stumped. If it is Unique OR Ordinary. Is that not Anything?
    Photos.KeithWickersham.com
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    kwickers wrote: »

Yes, but you have to figure out which it is and take the picture. :D
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Sher:

Let me see if I understand this correctly:

We do Not Use a Title for our photo? Instead, allow the photo to interprete the title/meaning?

See I'm still confused....lolne_nau.gif

Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins NorwayPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2011
    Can i enter this contest even tho im still in the last one??

Absolutely! Please do. The last one is soooo last week. :D It is over, finished, history.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2011
    Tentacion wrote: »
    Sher:

Let me see if I understand this correctly:

We do Not Use a Title for our photo? Instead, allow the photo to interprete the title/meaning?

See I'm still confused....lolne_nau.gif

Donna

Your entry MUST have a title The idea is to come up with some clever title that implies, but does not state the theme. Some of us are better at this than others. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2011
    kwickers wrote: »

This is a wide open challenge. Find something that says uniques to you or find something that says ordinary. And then take the best picture of your subject that you can.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2011
    rolleyes1.gif

I am so glad to find someone who appreciates my sense of humor. :D
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Can i enter this contest even tho im still in the last one??

According to the rules:
    "Once, roughly every quarter, the top 5 winners from each round will be eligible to play in a themed Mega-Challenge. This Mega-Challenge will be also be judged by a public vote. At the same time, the first round for the next quarter will begin, and ONLY non-Mega-Challenge players may compete in this round."

SO if there is a Mega Challenge going on and you are not one of the players in the Mega Challenge, you can enter the next challenge.

See link for rules in Sherstone's posting top of page.

Peace
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2011
    Your entry MUST have a title The idea is to come up with some clever title that implies, but does not state the theme. Some of us are better at this than others. mwink.gif

I could not have said it better.

• Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Sean,
    Since my image is composed of 50 different images, the EXIF data did not transfer over.
    I put a link to the original images below my name/title.
    Does that work for you?

For this entry:
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/Other/DSS-69/15577329_KxZhX#1175222953_8res4-A-LB
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Sean,
    Since my image is composed of 50 different images, the EXIF data did not transfer over.
    I put a link to the original images below my name/title.
    Does that work for you?

For this entry:
    http://challenges.smugmug.com/Other/DSS-69/15577329_KxZhX#1175222953_8res4-A-LB

Yes thats perfectly fine.
    Thanks for checking. :D
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    odd/strange question... This morning I uploaded my image. Tonight, I looked, it wasn't in the gallery, so I uploaded again.

So, now I am 'challenges.smugmug.com, and I see there are TWO galleries listed for the challenge, one with 5 pages of images, where my original upload ended up, and then one with 3 pages where I uploaded tonight.

Also, I noticed that one of MY photos is the lead image in the slide show!!!wings.gif How cool...

AND...and I KNOW I am being ridiculously computer inept at the moment, but the darned smugmug site won't let me log back into my site...I can log out, and then when I choose log in, it automatically goes to challenges.smugmug....and I have unclicked log in automatically...its swapping screens so quickly I can barely enter my name... I've closed everything down, nothing is working, so I am going to bed and let my head think on this, unless you have an answer?
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    rteest42 wrote: »
    So, now I am 'challenges.smugmug.com, and I see there are TWO galleries listed for the challenge, one with 5 pages of images, where my original upload ended up, and then one with 3 pages where I uploaded tonight.

Not sure about the logging out thing - clear your cache and reboot etc... and try again.
    In regards to the extra gallery. I am not sure where it came from but it is now gone. If another one shows up it too will be gone. the only place to upload is the link given in the OP.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    AND...and I KNOW I am being ridiculously computer inept at the moment, but the darned smugmug site won't let me log back into my site...I can log out, and then when I choose log in, it automatically goes to challenges.smugmug....and I have unclicked log in automatically...its swapping screens so quickly I can barely enter my name... I've closed everything down, nothing is working, so I am going to bed and let my head think on this, unless you have an answer?

It did that to me last challenge - I believe the "link to facebook" box (which isn't there all the time) was checked when I logged into the challenge gallery - didn't even think about it linking that gallery to my facebook. I think I fixed it by turning it off on facebook & making sure the box was not checked the next time I logged in. Hope this helps.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    It did that to me last challenge - I believe the "link to facebook" box (which isn't there all the time) was checked when I logged into the challenge gallery - didn't even think about it linking that gallery to my facebook. I think I fixed it by turning it off on facebook & making sure the box was not checked the next time I logged in. Hope this helps.

I don't know WHAT I did...I think having coffee before working at it helped some too!!! (this morning when I wanted to leave a comment on another persons photo, it tried to sign me in as steph+challenges, so.....) anyway, I am finally ME again...

Thanks!
  • Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    Sean
    While my image is one photo, with EFIX data attached, the image is a photo taken with two earlier photos on the computer screen behind.
    Do you need the EFIX data for the two photo's on the computer screen (is not obvious is on a computer screen behind)?
    (Photo is Just Another Day)
    Thank you
    Judy
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2011
    torrbrae wrote: »
    Sean
    While my image is one photo, with EFIX data attached, the image is a photo taken with two earlier photos on the computer screen behind.
    Do you need the EFIX data for the two photo's on the computer screen (is not obvious is on a computer screen behind)?
    (Photo is Just Another Day)
    Thank you
    Judy

No it is not obvious but that really is not the point. The shot is made up of three separate images and just like layers the proper way to show the information is to supply links or a link to a gallery that shows the EXIF information from each of the images used in the final composition. If the computer screen image was not a significant part of the final comp then it would be less important but it is always better to be up front about it vs. me questioning the validity in the first place.
    '
    Thanks for asking. :D
  • Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    No it is not obvious but that really is not the point. The shot is made up of three separate images and just like layers the proper way to show the information is to supply links or a link to a gallery that shows the EXIF information from each of the images used in the final composition. If the computer screen image was not a significant part of the final comp then it would be less important but it is always better to be up front about it vs. me questioning the validity in the first place.
    '
    Thanks for asking. :D

Thank you for that - have added link to the EXIF data for the three images.
    Judy
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    Apparently I'm doing something wrong. When I drag and drop my photo onto the upload screen my photo comes up on a white background with no link to actually complete the upload. I'm logged out of my own smugmug account and logged in per the instructions.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    Patti wrote: »
    Apparently I'm doing something wrong. When I drag and drop my photo onto the upload screen my photo comes up on a white background with no link to actually complete the upload. I'm logged out of my own smugmug account and logged in per the instructions.

Where are you trying to drag the picture from? If nothing else, hit the browse button and upload it that way.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2011
    The other way to upload is to use olde faithful.

Try here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/photos/new_add.mg?AlbumID=15577329&uploader=olde
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    I went back and picked a different uploader. All is well now. Phew!
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    WOW! It's great to see the increase in number of entries this round, and some really fantastic ones at that! Good luck everyonewings.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2011
    ic4u wrote: »
    WOW! It's great to see the increase in number of entries this round, and some really fantastic ones at that! Good luck everyonewings.gif

Not only an increase in number but many new faces. I am in the midst of my preliminary checking of the entries right now and lots of new names. Welcome!!! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2011
    The Voting Poll will be up ASAP