ISO Performance- 5D M1 or 1DSII?

TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
edited January 31, 2011 in Cameras
If anyone has any experience with both, how would you rate their ISO performance for indoor weddings?
I'm guessing the AF on the 1DSII is easily superior.
Thanks!

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    I don't have experience with either, but yes, the 1Ds2 AF is WAY better. It has higher resolution also. And better build. The 5D1 low-light ISO may be better cause the sensor is newer.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    I've shot with both, though haven't owned either.

According to DXOmark, the 1Ds 2 does pull ahead just a little bit:

http://dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/Sensor-rankings/%28type%29/usecase_sports

Sometimes I don't agree with their results, but this time I do. As long as you use a default of color noise reduction in your Bridge / Lightroom settings, you'll get very fine looking grain in your high ISO images up to 1600 and 3200, depending on your personal standards. I personally like grain, lol.

That, and if you're going to be shooting in low light at all, especially at huge apertures like 1.4 and 1.2, ...you'll be soooo much happier with a powerful camera like the 1-series. The improvement at f/1.2 in low light is just night and day compared to the 5D mk1...

In other news, I'd keep saving and get a used 1Ds 3 if I were you. They're getting pretty cheap nowadays! The 1Ds 2 is a great camera, but some of the technology will feel a bit ancient compared to something like a 5D mk2 or a 7D... (Battery on the 1Ds 2 is NiMH if I'm not mistaken, the LCD is small and low-res, the menus are abysmal...)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Thanks so much for the replies! Yeah, the ds3 is still probably a bit out of my range. I see the ds2's going for 1800-2k on eBay, I could probably pick up a 5D around 9 hundo, but then when I get a grip, gets closer to 1100. I have the 1DIIN now, so I imagine the menus are similar. The ISO performance though isn't very good, I don't go above 800, and from what I read the FF cameras have much better ISO performance. As far as the lenses I have, I have the 2.8 24-70, 70-200IS, and 50 1.4.
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    You could get a 5DII if ISO is a major factor in your decision.